Thread: Sonny Bill eyes European rugby union

vCash

Sonny Bill eyes European rugby union

Déjà vu

Sonny Bill eyes European rugby union

Brent Read and Margie McDonald | May 16, 2008 Sonny Bill eyes European rugby union | The Australian

BULLDOGS star Sonny Bill Williams has escalated his interest in switching codes by sounding out former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones over a potential rugby union career in Europe.

It is believed Williams' management has held informal talks with Jones, now a coaching consultant at English club Saracens.

Williams, 22, is tied to a long-term deal with the Bulldogs but has been vocal about the prospect of switching codes and cashing in on his status as one of the NRL's marquee players. He is in the first year of a five-year deal worth $400,000 a season, but he believes he is being underpaid.

His earnings could be dwarfed by what's on offer should he find a home in English rugby union, where the salary cap will rise to $8.3million next season - more than double the NRL.

French rugby union, mooted as a possible destination for St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier, could be even more appealing. Several of France's top union clubs, including Stade Francais and Toulouse, budget for player payments of $13 million to $20million.

The riches on offer in France are already beginning to eat into southern hemisphere rugby union.

Over the past 12 months, former Wallabies captain George Gregan and ex-All Blacks captain Anton Oliver are among players to have moved to France, where they can earn upwards of $800,000 a year tax-free.

Former NSW and Australia halfback Craig Gower became the first prominent rugby league player to follow that path when he left at the end of last year to play union in France.

Williams has little to no experience in the rival code, but Jones has publicly stated he feels the Kiwi international would be a raging success in rugby, possibly as an outside centre.

A move to Europe would also allow Williams to escape the constant public scrutiny that comes with being a well-known player - one of the reasons Gower moved to France.

News of his interest in Europe will come as a sledgehammer blow to the NRL, given it is also battling to hang on to Gasnier.

Gasnier has been actively researching his options overseas for several weeks but chances of him leaving at the end of the season appear to be lengthening.

However, Gasnier, who has been taking advantage of a one-month window in his contract that allows him to look elsewhere, could move overseas at the end of next year.

By then, former NSW Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie would have a year under his belt at Stade Francais. McKenzie was instrumental in the Australian Rugby Union making a play for Gasnier in 2006.

The speculation over Gasnier's future yesterday prompted his NSW and Australia team-mate Willie Mason to warn something had to be done to keep players in the NRL. Asked whether increasing representative payments would suffice, Mason replied: "That's one way. But something has to be done because if we do lose Gaz, that would be an absolute shame to rugby league.

"He is one of the greats, I think, already and we need to get it sorted; do something; just keep him here."

Mason denied ongoing conjecture over Gasnier's future had an effect on NSW's preparations for the opening Origin game, next Wednesday at ANZ Stadium.

"It's not that big a drama," Mason said. "He just needs to sort some things out with his club, and then it'll be fine.

"We haven't really gone into it that much. It's not my business to talk about what he's doing.

"I'll support him whatever he does anyway."

In other news, Canberra has pulled off a coup by signing Sydney Roosters prop David Shillington on a four-year deal from next season. Shillington, who has been earmarked to fill the void created by Michael Weyman's decision to join St George Illawarra in 2009, spoke to former Roosters team-mates Nigel Plum and Joel Monaghan before reaching his decision.

And, as revealed in The Australian yesterday, Wests Tigers captain Brett Hodgson has confirmed he will join English club Huddersfield next season on a two-year deal.

His impending departure prompted coach Tim Sheens to express concerns over the salary cap.

"It's a new chapter in my footballing career and in my life as well," Hodgson said.

"It's disappointing obviously to be leaving the Tigers where I've had wonderful memories in the last five years.

"It's going to be sad and disappointing but, at the same time, it's going to be exciting."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Jesus, this bloke is unbelievable, NZRU said he won't be getting a huge salary, that he must earn it so he decided Europe is the best place to go, what a douche bag...bloody mungoes have no honour

vCash
    Mmm just read this. Bet Matt Henjak is glad he's not playing now

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    From the little I've seen of Williams I would suggest he may need to learn to lower his tackle before considering a future in Union otherwise he would be spending plenty of each match with the time keeper!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.