Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cooper cool with Beale battle

vCash

Cooper cool with Beale battle

Cooper cool with Beale battle
    Wednesday 14th May 2008 Cooper cool with Beale battle - Rugby News, Results, Fixtures and Features from Planet-Rugby.com

Bragging rights won't get more personal in Saturday's Super 14 grudge match between the Waratahs and the Reds than for much-hyped prodigies Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper.

The talented young playmakers - to oppose each other for the first time in senior rugby on Saturday - will wear different coloured jerseys but are extremely close mates.

Their friendship was borne out of two years together as the next big things in the code while playing for the Australian Schoolboys in 2005 and 2006.

Queenslander Cooper, 20, and Waratah Beale, 19, enter the Suncorp Stadium showdown in enemy camps but both full of confidence after coming off their best games of 2008.

Not only will the victor enjoy sipping from the Bob Templeton Cup but they should also get the inside running for the number ten jersey in the Australian U20 team for next month's World Junior Championship.

That could also lead to an important Test apprenticeship as the fly-half for Australia A in the Pacific Nations Cup and possibly a Wallabies squad berth as an understudy to Matt Giteau.

"We're very good mates so it should be fun," Cooper told AAP.

"It will be awesome playing against him again.

"If I get the chance I'll give him a shot and then a bit of a smile to let him know I'm there.

"But I'm sure he'll do the same if he gets the chance too, that's footy."

Waikato-raised Cooper took all before him when he arrived in Brisbane as an elusive 15-year-old but the impression he made was nothing compared to Beale, whose skills he first witnessed at the national U16 titles.

"The first time I saw him I could see the talent matched what everyone was talking about," said Cooper.

"He really set the bar there and after watching a few more of his games he only got better.

"Once I got to know him he was a really good bloke. I think we're quite similar in a few ways and we get on really well."

So well that Cooper says Beale has been a great support in helping him overcome the pressure of the Super 14 and the pair speak regularly.

When Cooper missed selection in the Reds team for the first round of the competition, Beale was a surprise visitor to the Queensland A dressing room to wish his mate all the best in the curtain-raiser to the Waratahs clash with the Hurricanes.

While Beale has captured more of the attention and has performed more consistently in 2008 for the third-placed Waratahs, some judges like dual international Russell Fairfax rated Cooper the more impressive out of school.

But the Queenslander thanks Beale for improving his own game.

"Watching him out on the field when I first came over was pretty amazing and it made me want to go away and work harder on my running game and my passing game and he showed that at 15, he was cutting defences apart with his step and ball skills," said Cooper .

Both sat on the bench when the Waratahs triumphed 26-13 in the corresponding match last season and only Cooper got on the field at the death.

While they played plenty of times together - at 10 and 12 - in the green and gold, Saturday's game will only be their second match on opposite sides with Beale holding a 1-0 advantage.

"It will be a good time to get one up on the board," said Cooper.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    In this match up I'm not sure Cooper's even been in the race this season?

Interesting the whole article comes from him.

vCash
    im not sure beale has being in the race, apart from being talked up by certain personalities in the media he hasnt dont anything to warrant his repuation yet.

vCash
    does anyone know why barnes has been dropped as a flyhalf? i thought he had a GREAT world cup, i prefer him at number 10 to cooper... and beale for that matter...

vCash
    because there are no decent inside centres..

picking a rugby team is about balancing your strengths and weaknesses, strengths for QLD are 5/8, weaknesses are inside centre...

vCash
    so robbie might still put him at 10?? i really like barnes, gotta be my favourite QLDer barnes at 10, gits at 12, beale on the bench.

vCash
    Beale is very talented. He is better than Giteau

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    HAHAHAHA, too obvious Chook
    Try a smaller hook

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Chook's really dropped his standards

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    i had written the LONGGGEST abusive reply to that comment by chook, until my computer shut down. ok? didnt fall for it... but GITS IS BETTER!!! MUCH better

vCash
    I agree chook, let's make Beale Wallaby captain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    so robbie might still put him at 10?? i really like barnes, gotta be my favourite QLDer barnes at 10, gits at 12, beale on the bench.
    yes its still possible he could be picked as a 5/8 at wallaby level, i imagine that Deans would go for Giteau at 5/8 and Barnes at 12 though. Mainly because that is the positions that both players have played there majority of the season at.

vCash
    And such a configuration will be more comfortable to Gits than using a Spanner style of 12 to crash ball. He's been playing all year with a second playmaker at 12, more of a kiwi setup.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    im not sure beale has being in the race, apart from being talked up by certain personalities in the media he hasnt dont anything to warrant his repuation yet.
    I was only talking about Beale vs Cooper.

I'd agree Beale ain't all there yet - a 10 has to know how to take a drop goal in front of the sticks to win a match - but this season he's still been a few streets ahead of Cooper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    i had written the LONGGGEST abusive reply to that comment by chook, until my computer shut down. ok? didnt fall for it... but GITS IS BETTER!!! MUCH better

Please can you post it? Pu-leeeaasse?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Chook's really dropped his standards
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    HAHAHAHA, too obvious Chook
    Try a smaller hook
    I was being serious

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast