Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tahs: "Our backline can reign for years."

vCash

Tahs: "Our backline can reign for years."

Todd Louden: Waratahs backline can reign for years
    By Jon Geddes Todd Louden: Waratahs backline can reign for years | The Daily Telegraph

May 15, 2008 12:00am

WARATAHS attack coach Todd Louden has expressed his passionate belief in his rookie backline ahead of Saturday's showdown with Queensland - declaring NSW are at the start of a dynasty.

But Louden is praying for a dry track in Brisbane on Saturday night to allow Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess and Lote Tuquri to unleash their full weaponry.

"It's really important the Waratahs keep this backline together for a long time, just as they have done with the forwards," Louden said.

"Looking at where they started from to where they are now, they are going to have one hell of a backline.

"I believe if they keep it together and they reach their potential it could be a real dynasty."

Louden, who is heading to Japan at the end of the season, has a clear message for the man who steps into the hot seat as the next Waratahs coach. "Whoever takes them on next year has really got his hands full in the sense that the foundations have been laid now and they have a lot more left in the tank," he said.

After playing a key role in the Bulls' Super 14 title win in 2007, the quiet achiever Louden has been a very influential figure in the emergence of the Waratahs' backs as a real force this season.

"We have to understand this is probably one of the youngest backlines in Super 14 history in terms of experience and age," Louden said.

"I don't think there are many backlines out there who have achieved what they have in what I think is the hardest rugby competition in the world.

"I'm quite proud of them."

Louden hopes that given their performances, every back would be in consideration for the first Wallabies squad to be named early next month.

He is confident that the rookie NSW backs will only keep improving.

"You haven't seen the best of them yet, that's for sure," he said.

"I still think we are building.

"I don't think we have seen our potential as a backline and as a team, which is an exciting thing."

He is looking for that improvement to continue against arch-rivals Queensland in the game which will determine NSW's finals fate.

"We have got to win the game - that is the first priority. But it is such a youthful and exuberant backline that anything could happen," he said.

"Our best performances have been on a dry track as a backline unit and as a team.

"But nine out of our 12 games have been in the rain and it is quite hard for the backs to find their rhythm."

A key match-up will be between potential Wallaby five-eighths Beale and Quade Cooper. "Kurtley has played some pretty big games this year - he is a pretty cool hand. I don't see him worrying about Quade too much," Louden said.

Beale is one of the NSW players to kick on this year with the help of Louden's guidance.

Louden said Beale has a great football instinct and has developed an understanding of how to control the game this season.

"He has worked hard and come an incredible way with that," Louden said. "He trusts those guys outside him and is confident of making the calls now."

The Reds have named Wallabies Sam Cordingley and Rodney Blake on their bench for Saturday's game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    But Louden is praying for a dry track in Brisbane on Saturday night to allow Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess and Lote Tuquri to unleash their full weaponry.

Okay can someone tell me what full weaponry Lote has in reserve? Is he packing heat?
    What a crock of shite. Im bored stiff with Tah spin.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Lets pray then that it is a dry track and that they get a shellacking from the Reds. Now I know there are a number who would love to see any Aus team in the semis and I would too but this constant serving of tripe out of NSW really needs to end.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I like it. The Waratahs back can reign for years: So long as it doesn't rain for years.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Tahs are good.

KQ, you are so mean for posting nice things about the Tahs and people here get all angry and sweaty about it!! Now, I know you are a Tahs fan like me but wouldn't it make more sense to let me post the pro Tahs stuff? People expect it of me and they still think you are in the closet. Perhaps not now though...

GOTHETAHS!!!!

Kwurtley will out chipkick Kwoowade!! I wonder who ate the most pies in the off season, both boys are chubby.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Kwurtley will out chipkick Kwoowade!! I wonder who ate the most pies in the off season, both boys are chubby.
    c'mon chook, neither of them have magic orange boots. lote is the next aussie kicker fo sure.

but seriously scott daruda would be an asset to the tahs.

vCash
    ANyone who can kick a ball over some posts would be. IS David Knox still playing?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    probably randwick 4ths.

reds will win. i have no doubt whatsoever

with burgess. turner, beale and horne in place the tahs backs might one day be as good as your forwards. ..... one day
    how old is tom carter? the role he plays within your backline is very underrated

seriously how many talented backs around 20 years old are around at the moment?

vCash
    the only thing Lote can offer is different colour boots, and look what happened to Dunning when he kicked between the posts Chook

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    probably randwick 4ths.

reds will win. i have no doubt whatsoever

with burgess. turner, beale and horne in place the tahs backs might one day be as good as your forwards. ..... one day
    how old is tom carter? the role he plays within your backline is very underrated

seriously how many talented backs around 20 years old are around at the moment?
    james o'connor
    dane haylet-petty
    nick cummins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    the only thing Lote can offer is different colour boots, and look what happened to Dunning when he kicked between the posts Chook
    The Dunning, along with AL Baxtah, Australia's greatest props. Ever. Al Baxtah, isn't he most capped? Such talent.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea View Post

Okay can someone tell me what full weaponry Lote has in reserve?.
    his amazing kicking abilities.........

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Fair dinkum, they need to create some type of internet filter so waffle like that article can't leave NSW!
    It isn't fit for human consumption.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Chook we are in deep shit if Dunning and Baxter are all we have. maybe i can come out of retirement

vCash
    P%# on a good day I reckon I could scrum better than card-table Baxter.....Imagine that, 83 kilo washed up old bloke with a dodgy back and no ankles makes most test caps for the wallabies front row!!!!!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast