Thread: Rocky Elsom off to test his luck in Ireland

vCash

Rocky Elsom off to test his luck in Ireland

Rocky Elsom off to test his luck in Ireland
    Wayne Smith | May 15, 2008 Rocky Elsom off to test his luck in Ireland | The Australian

HAVING been denied the chance to play under Michael Cheika at the Waratahs, Wallabies flanker Rocky Elsom looks certain to accept an offer to move to Irish club Leinster to be coached by him there.

Cheika, a former Randwick backrower, is among the most highly regarded coaches in Europe and was one of the first possibilities explored by the NSW Rugby Union after the decision was made this season not to reappoint Ewen McKenzie as coach.

But when there was no immediate follow-up by NSW on the initial vague approach, Cheika recommitted to Leinster which, anyway, was ill-disposed to let him go.

Elsom has been involved in long-running contract negotiations with the Australian Rugby Union which wants to retain his services but very much on its terms.

And while sanity has finally prevailed and serious attempts are now being made to persuade another vital member of the Waratahs' pack, second-rower Dan Vickerman, to reconsider his planned move to England, Elsom does not appear to be as high a priority.

According to Irish sources, Leinster has waited patiently while Elsom, a 32-Test World Cup flanker, has worked through his dealings with the ARU but now is nudging him to make a decision.

Elsom declined yesterday to offer anything more than a "no comment" on his playing future but indications are it is highly unlikely the 25-year-old will remain in Australia and instead will sign with the Dublin-based Magners League champions.

Elsom was, however, considerably more forthcoming about Saturday's vital interstate match against arch-rivals Queensland at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium, nominating as the most influential Red a player many other critics would pass over with barely a second glance, winger Peter Hynes.

"Hynes is a big reason why Queensland are doing well and why all the other players around him are performing as they are," Elsom said. "He's great in attack, always looking for work and he's finishing really well.

"And while he's fairly wiry and lean, he's a little bit of granite in defence. He likes to hurt people in tackles and I respect that.

"I know he's always been overlooked in the past but his performances this year have been outstanding and I can understand why the Reds are looking at him as a possible fullback next year. He'd be a good replacement for Latho (Chris Latham)."

Admittedly, Elsom was provided with an early glimpse of Hynes' ability, first playing against him for their respective schools in the Brisbane GPS competition, Elsom for Nudgee College, Hynes for Brisbane State High School. "No shadow of a lie, we made 10 line breaks in that match and Hynes mowed us down every time," Elsom said.

"He was blindingly fast back then and while he might not be quite as quick now, he is still very dangerous."

While Elsom nominated Hynes as the Reds' player the Waratahs were most wary of, he named second-rower Van Humphries as the one NSW most intended to target.

"If he's their lineout caller, then he's the one who's going to be the main focus of our attention," warned the Waratahs' hard man.

"You can't play a field-position game without an effective lineout. Our lineout is a strength. We see it as that. But whether theirs is up to it, we're about to find out."

In the past, the Waratahs have been extremely reticent about provoking Queensland before this interstate match but Elsom was quick to pick up yesterday where Lote Tuqiri left off the previous day with his claim that the Reds were "copping out" by seeing themselves as the Super 14 spoilers.

Elsom instead latched on to the excuse often used - though not by the Reds themselves - that the Queensland side is in a rebuilding phase. "It's rubbish when teams talk about rebuilding," he said.

"Guys hide behind that. Although I will say that (Reds coach) Phil Mooney has made a couple of tough calls this season and that's a good sign to his personality and character."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What about the Force? I was under the impression he was considering here as well

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    I believe the sticking point is with the ARU, not the Tahs, so coming to the Force wouldn't fix things

vCash
    Touche Swee but I think it may be advantageous for him to spice up his domestic play in a bid to impress Wallabies selectors. The ARU want him, but they're just not sure how much. I'm not convinced his career here is over and whatever they have on the table is the best he could get. I think a position in the force could reignite his play. Make him step up again?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Perhaps it's my bias (I rate Rocky pretty highly) but I don't know that moving to another province would mean he'd "step up". The ARU aren't really showing themselves to be interested in holding onto it's talent (they didn't seem to put alot of effort into holding Vickerman, though it seems to be slowly dawning on them that maybe they should)- all the money seems to be pencilled in for attracting league players.
    As for the Wallabies, at the moment I would think he has his place already- it would be up to other contenders to impress enough to oust him. I don't think his Wallaby career is over either- if he were to go to Europe, I dare say it would be for 2 years before coming back for a RWC2011 tilt, the risk being that someone who does stick around will step up in his absence.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    The ARU aren't really showing themselves to be interested in holding onto it's talent
    In today's West with regrad to Bam Bam's contract the ARU wnat to sign him long term which would mean (should he get a Wallaby call up) he would only get match payments. His manager (and Bam Bam I would assume) only want one year so he can get a full top up next year. Make sense to me. Pull ya finger out ARU and do ther right thing by your players or we will see plenty more of this Elsomish activity going on.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Doesn't say how long Elsom is going to Dublin for - the smart thing would be 2 years which would give him an option to return to Oz in time for the RWC2011 if he wants.

I give any sane mortal 2 years on the N50 (ring road around Dublin) as long enough to develop a distinct mongrel element - and that's before I pontificate about the playing technique in the Magners League.

It's quite obvious from the reluctance of many players to sign any contracts (Bam Bam, Crossey and even Sheps took ages to resolve) that the ARU are playing hard ball at the moment - either:
    A: They need to cull the more expensive end of the player list (not mentioning anything about Tah Players) or
    B: Develop some different type of contracting system whereby players only get paid for games they play as opposed to this top up system which seems to be based on a guess of how useful a player is to a coach who hasn't started yet.

Lets face it they have had 3 coaches in 3 years now so how could they contract the vast majority of players for longer than a year given injury, misdemeanour's and the like is beyond me anyway.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post

Lets face it they have had 3 coaches in 3 years now so how could they contract the vast majority of players for longer than a year given injury, misdemeanour's and the like is beyond me anyway.
    If they got paid by ARU on year by year basis it would certainly keep in line, on and off the field, and if you get injured you don't get paid (not as much anyway). Performance based, I like it TQ1

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    another quality player lost to europe......

vCash
    Elsom would be an asset at the Force. As long as he stays in Oz rugby, i'm happy. It would be disgraceful if Rocky went OS. He's not a big drinker ( if at all) so he won't get in trouble in Perth either. He also is a leaguie too, so he must be alright.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Of course he is all right. He is a Nudgee boy.