Thread: Extra time needed for satisfaction

vCash

Extra time needed for satisfaction

COMMENT: Bret Harris | May 12, 2008 Extra time needed for satisfaction | The Australian

A DRAW in any sporting contest is an unsatisfactory experience.

After 80 minutes of intense competition, there was an empty feeling after the Waratahs' 13-all draw with the Stormers in Cape Town yesterday.

NSW captain Phil Waugh did not seem too thrilled about the draw when he was interviewed straight after the match even though it was clearly a much better result than losing.

The valuable two competition points the Waratahs collected allowed them to remain in third place on the ladder. A loss would have dropped them to equal fourth.

OK, had the Waratahs won they would have reclaimed second place from the Hurricanes, which would have been better.

So the result was not as good as it could have been and it was not as bad as it could have been. It was somewhere in between, not quite good, not too bad, but obviously nothing to celebrate.

Stormers' captain Jean de Villiers said the draw felt like a loss and from the South African perspective he was right because they have probably squandered the chance to secure a home semi-final.

But that's the thing about a draw, you really don't feel anything too much.

Sport, for the spectator as much as the competitor, is about gratification. You cheer your team to win, you wallow in a loss. But a draw? It's a non event.

With all of the focus on revitalising the Super 14 competition, is it time for SANZAR to consider ways to break deadlocks at the end of a game.

There is already provision for extra time in the Super 14 semi-finals and final.

It is quite incredible to think that in the 36 play-off matches that have been played in the previous 12 years of Super rugby that none have gone into extra time.

But it is only a matter of time before a finals game is drawn.

There are provisions for breaking deadlocks in the knock-out games of the World Cup when you have to have a winner and a loser, although not in the pool matches.

One of the most gripping World Cup games was the final of the 2003 tournament between Australia and England in Sydney. The fact it went into extra time only enhanced the sense of drama and heightened the tension.

If England five-eighth Jonny Wilkinson had not kicked the match-winning field goal in extra time, we may have seen a soccer style field goal shoot-out to determine the world champion.

Rugby officials such as ARU chief executive John O'Neill are looking for ways and means to make the game more entertaining.

Why not rub out the emotionless draw and introduce devices such as extra time and penalty shoot-outs to spice up regular season games in Super 14?

There is also the option of introducing the golden point rule from rugby league, which was brought in with one group of people in mind - the fans.

Rugby purists would argue that taking away the draw would be unacceptable because it would go against the ethos of the game.

There is something chivalrous, some would say, about playing out a draw.

You could also point to the fact that there have only been two draws in the Super 14 this season so there so no real need to ensure there are winners and losers in each game.

But that is a rather old-fashioned way of looking at it. The modern, professional game is underpinned by television revenue, which means the TV audience must be catered for, or gratified.

The introduction of extra time, penalty shoot-outs and golden point could help to make Super 14 a more entertaining and enjoyable experience for spectators.

Satisfaction guaranteed - at least for the winner.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I dunno, co-champions of the '03 RWC probably sounds better than runners up
    They say you better careful what you wish for...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The Force have a draw and that's it, the Tahs have a draw and we get an 620 word article on how bad the system is to allow such a disaster to happen.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    One step closer to mungo-ball.......

Why can't we just accept that on the day, both teams were equal?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I hear choking from both teams here. The Tahs choked beautifully, so you would think they would be happy with 2 points instead of zip?

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I hear the phrase 'extra time needed for satisfaction' and I shudder to think of what Growden might do during that extra time while watching the Tahs.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Bollocks! No-one wins from a draw, which is a fair result.

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    COMMENT: Bret Harris | May 12, 2008 Extra time needed for satisfaction | The Australian

The introduction of extra time, penalty shoot-outs and golden point could help to make Super 14 a more entertaining and enjoyable experience for spectators.

Satisfaction guaranteed - at least for the winner.
    Penalty shootouts! What a spectacle that would be!

vCash
    The extra time in League was just one more step on the downhill road. Though to be fair they have also recently taken a couple back in the right direction. A draw is often the fairest result after 80 minutes of evenly matched graft. Leave it alone. How would you feel if your team was equal on points for a spot in the semis but were beaten on for and against by a team who had scored those points in an extra time match?

The only thing I'd consider changing would be to give both teams in a drawn match a losing BP making it worth 3 points.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    That's really the clincher - in a league situation where points difference might come into play at the end of the season, none of the teams should have had extra time in which to score points, compared with others.

The bonus point is an interesting option - great if both teams have battled it out all match and neither got the upper hand (and yes, coming from the northern hemisphere, I don't necessarily mind if that's a low-scoring match).

But how disappointing if one team really killed the game, and ended up with a draw becasue they missed that last-ditch field-goal attempt, but then got the bonus point... which, for them, might make the difference later in the season.
    (I'm imagining what might happen in the 6 Nations - naming no names, of course! I wouldn't 'swing' that 'low'! )

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!