Thread: PREDICTIONS FOR THE WEEKEND

vCash

PREDICTIONS FOR THE WEEKEND By Gavin Rich

PREDICTIONS FOR THE WEEKEND by Gavin Rich from SuperSport

FRIDAY

Hurricanes v Western Force Wellington 9.35am

The Hurricanes are of course without the influential Jerry Collins, who probably means as much to them as Schalk Burger does to the Stormers. Much will depend on how desperate and motivated the Force are after their win last week. In previous matches in New Zealand this season they beat the Blues and the Highlanders, and added the Chiefs at home to their list of scalps last week, so the Force record against Kiwi teams must mean something. On recent form, however, a betting man would go with the Hurricanes, particularly at home.

Prediction: Hurricanes by 5.

Vodacom Bulls v Brumbies Pretoria 7.10pm

The Bulls have picked up some momentum now after good wins over the Highlanders and the Waratahs, and if that translates into bums on seats, then some of the intimidation factor will be back for a Brumbies team that may be a bit flat after losing their interest in a semifinal place with their defeat in Cape Town. Still, skipper Stirling Mortlock seems eager for his men to learn, and what better place to continue with the maturation process than with a win at Loftus against the Bulls. The home team have skipper Fourie du Preez back and my money says they will scrape home.

Prediction: Bulls by 7.

SATURDAY

Highlanders v Blues Dunedin 9.35am

To be honest, the Blues’ chances of success are only mathematical, but it is important for South African hopes that they continue to believe, for it could mean trouble for the Hurricanes when they travel to Auckland next week for a New Zealand derby. The Highlanders are growing as a team and would have learned a lot from their trip to South Africa, but ever since Isa Nacewa has moved to flyhalf the Blues have looked more potent on attack. They should win this one.

Prediction: Blues by 10.

Reds v Crusaders Bribane 11.40am

Dan Carter is heading back, and even though he won’t be starting this match, his presence on the bench will be a motivation factor for the log leaders. The Reds have not been easy opponents at Suncorp this season, just ask the Western Force and the Bulls, but the Crusaders are now hitting the stage of the competition where they know they need to start firing again -- and they probably will.

Prediction: Crusaders by more than 15.

The Sharks v Vodacom Cheetahs Durban 3pm

Durban in May is not like Durban in February, which should suit the Sharks as they shouldn’t have a slippery ball to contend with in a game where they really do have to shake off the shackles and score tries. Nothing less than a bonus point win will suffice for the Sharks if they are to retain an interest in a possible semifinal place. The Cheetahs have been tough opponents for them over the years, but they broke that stranglehold with a good win in Bloemfontein in 2007. The Sharks showed signs of coming right against the Crusaders last week, so they should win. The bonus point though is another story, it depends on so many factors, not least being the Cheetahs’ attitude to the game.

Prediction: Sharks by 8.

Auto & General Lions v Chiefs Ellis Park 5.05pm

Jaque Fourie makes his long awaited return to rugby at outside centre for the Lions, and after new Springbok coach Peter de Villiers’s comments about form selections, he will know he cannot waste any time getting back to his best if he wants to be part of the series against Wales. The Chiefs were set back last week against the Force and will be wondering if their old travel bogey is set to strike once more. Although the Ellis Park surface is tailored to the Chiefs’ fast paced style and ability to strike from broken play, I have a feeling they might just suffer another loss to end their semifinal aspirations for good. Just a hunch, for Sean Fitzpatrick’s comments about the Lions in midweek were mostly right, and it is doubtful the Lions will attract enough spectators to turn the stadium into the intimidating place it is for opponents when the Springboks are in action there.

Prediction: Lions by 3.

Vodacom Stormers v Waratahs Newlands 7.10pm

This is the Stormers’ final, and undeniably the biggest game of their home sequence (after the tour) outside of the one against the Hurricanes. They showed for 20 minutes against the Brumbies last week that even without Schalk they can really cook when they have to, but they are going to need something much closer to an 80 minute performance if they are to stand any hope against a Waratahs team that does not have many potential weaknesses. The weather forecasters were suggesting during the week that it could be a wet game, but then that has been the case for the past two weeks, and it hasn’t happened. The Stormers are a settled team after naming an unchanged lineup, but this could be the day they miss Burger and Tonderai Chavhanga the most. A prediction? -- I really wish I didn’t have to, for it is impossible to call and this is certainly an occasion when the visitors can break down the Newlands fortress, like the Highlanders did when they came here for a semifinal in 1999.

Prediction: Waratahs..., um Stormers, Waratahs. Okay, Stormers by narrowest of margins.

Here is the full article

Acute pressure as deciding phase starts
    by Gavin Rich | 08 May 2008 (10:21)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by pieter blackie; 08-05-08 at 18:42.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I reckon your man is on the money pieter.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    a vWager of 10,000 vCash on each of those predictions would give you a profit of 118,300 vCash if they all come in Pieter.

Bet big.Bet often.

vCash
    ouch

I can't even win a raffle if I was the only guy buying tickets

I did however play as follow

stormers
    sharks
    chiefs
    crusaders
    blues
    bulls