Thread: Force can still make it if cards fall their way

vCash

Force can still make it if cards fall their way

Force can still make it if cards fall their way
    8 May 2008
    John Welborn

Last week’s article calling for true believers in the Western Force resulted in an avalanche of correspondence from supporters. Hopefully none of them noticed that I had actually picked the Chiefs in the Super 14 tipping competition! Those who did should understand that with my tipping record I was actually ensuring that the Force would win.

The Force’s remarkable victory at Subiaco last Saturday could be the first leg in what will be a spectacular trifecta if they are victorious in their last two matches. Super rugby in Perth seems to regularly deliver last-gasp one-point results.

Though I was elated the Force had won the game, it was disappointing that it was a one-point win and not the five-point margin that would have resulted had a try been awarded in the dying moments of the match. A fourth try for the Force would have produced a bonus point which in the battle for a finals spot could prove crucial.

Though not technically capable of ruling on the knock-on, TMO Georgie Ayoub, a nemesis for Australian teams, somehow found a way to disallow Cameron Shepherd’s try.

This leaves the Force currently in ninth spot on the table on 28 points. Given my poor tipping record this season, you may be asking how much faith can be placed in my fantasy final table.

The first step is obviously for the Force to win a very tough match this weekend. All logical rugby pundits will be backing the Hurricanes. They were far too good for the Lions last week and would appear to be one of the form teams of the competition. This will be the first visit for the Western Force to Windy Wellington and the “Cake-Tin” stadium.

In 2006, the Force played the Hurricanes in New Plymouth. The Western Force are limping into this encounter with plenty of injuries and untried players in key positions. However, they are undefeated in New Zealand this season and seem to always play at their best when there is nothing to lose.

With two rounds to go, true believers of the Western Force will not just be sweating on the team’s chances in Wellington. The key team that needs to fire for the Force to have a chance in making the finals is the cellar-dwelling Lions.

Putting on my tipster’s hat, the results that are crucial to allow a fantasy finish for the Force are the Lions’ matches against the Chiefs this weekend and then the final round encounter with the Stormers.

Both matches will be at home for the Lions at Ellis Park in Johannesburg. The other key match is for the improving Highlanders to beat the Blues this weekend.

The Highlanders will also be at home at Carisbrook in Dunedin. Should these matches fall in the Force’s favour, then the final round encounter with the Brumbies will be an absolute cracker.

Should other games follow predictable form, then the fantasy table is possible. Sydney is a lot closer for a semifinal tour than Christchurch.

FANTASY TABLE

Current Round 13 Round 14 Final Table
    Crusaders 47 5 5 57
    Waratahs 37 4 4 45
    Hurricanes 36 0 0 36
    Stormers 35 0 1 36
    Chiefs 33 0 4 37
    Sharks 32 4 0 36
    Blues 31 0 4 35
    Brumbies 28 1 0 29
    WF 28 5 5 38
    Bulls 19 4 4 27