Thread: Kidney takes Ireland`s reins

vCash

Kidney takes Ireland`s reins

Finally. TQ1..you would be relieved..

Kidney takes Ireland`s reins
    Wednesday 07th May 2008

Ireland have confirmed the appointment of Declan Kidney as head coach through to the next World Cup.

Kidney, the current Munster head coach, replaces Eddie O'Sullivan, who resigned following Ireland's disappointing World Cup performance and worst ever Six Nations campaign.

But Kidney will not take charge until after Ireland's forthcoming tour of New Zealand and Australia in order to concentrate on Munster's forthcoming Heineken Cup final against Toulouse on May 24.

Kidney will have no input into the selection of preparation of the squad.
    The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) are expected to confirm a temporary management team for the summer tour shortly.

South Africa's World Cup-winning coach Jake White, former Leicester boss Pat Howard and Wales's Grand Slam-winning coach Mike Ruddock were all linked with the post.

But the IRFU has turned to Kidney, who worked as O'Sullivan's assistant between 2002 and 2004 and has delivered great success to Munster on the European stage.

After a series of near misses, Kidney delivered Munster's first Heineken Cup triumph in 2006 with victory over Biarritz at the Millennium Stadium.

And he returns to Cardiff with Munster on May 24 chasing a second European triumph in three years before assuming the biggest job of his career.

"There is no greater honour for any coach than to lead his own country," he said.

"I have had that privilege at several levels of the game in Ireland from schools and Under-19s as well as working with the senior Ireland team and I am delighted to have this opportunity and to be here at what is the pinnacle of my career.

"I have worked with many exceptional players during my career at both international and provincial level and there is no doubt that we have the talent in Ireland to be successful at the highest level.

"The challenge going forward for the Ireland team and Irish Rugby as a whole is to continue the growth and success on the field. I am excited about the challenge and looking forward to working with the players.

"My focus now for the next three weeks will be totally on the Munster team and the preparation for the Heineken European Cup final."

Kidney has led Munster to all four of their Heineken Cup finals - they finished runners-up in 2000 and 2002 - and he has already enjoyed success at youth level with some of Ireland's current internationals.

Kidney was in charge of the Ireland Under-19 team that won the 1998 World Cup and included the likes of Brian O'Driscoll, Donncha O'Callaghan and Paddy Wallace.

IRFU chief executive Philip Browne said: "The record of Declan Kidney speaks for itself and it was obvious from the very beginning of this process that he was one of the main contenders to lead Ireland to the next Rugby World Cup in 2011.

"His ability to achieve success and develop players in the ever-increasing competitive arena of professional rugby is proven and the IRFU is delighted to have made this appointment.

"While the need to make the appointment as soon as was practicable was important, the IRFU was conscious of keeping any disruption to the preparations of the Munster team to a minimum."

O'Sullivan stood down as head coach after Ireland finished fourth in the Six Nations, their worst return since the competition was expanded to include Italy in 2000.

That disappointment followed hot on the heels of the failure to reach the knockout stages of the World Cup and O'Sullivan left despite having signed a new four-year contract before the tournament.

Ireland were ranked second in the world in 2006 but have dropped to eighth and it will be a tough challenge to raise that mark before the 2011 World Cup seedings are finalised at the end of the year.

When Kidney takes charge after the June tour, his first task will be to prepare for the November series that includes Tests against the All Blacks and Argentina.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Who is going to be first to use the "Munster coach transplanted" headline

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    You get more mileage than that KQ and TI his new assistant is called Dish - now what do you do in a kidney dish

but seriously Kidney has done a lot for Munster and a lot of the Irish Internationals play there so hopefully the Irish will be inspired to put on a decent performance - who knows they may even get their act together enough to scare the Wallabies.

Watching the Irish Play recently is a bit like watching the Force - you know what they are capable off on a good day but for some reason it just hasn't happened recently unlike the EWF.

Here's to a decent game of rugby - should be interesting to watch the Irish lads play the ELVs.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    This is the best bio of Kidney's achievements to date and shows why there were no other serious contenders:

Munster's Declan Kidney named new coach of Ireland rugby team

7 hours ago

DUBLIN, Ireland — Declan Kidney was named coach of Ireland's rugby team on Wednesday.

The 48-year-old Kidney succeeds Eddie O'Sullivan, although he won't take over until after the team's end-of-season tour to New Zealand and Australia.

Kidney will complete the season with Munster, whom he has led to European club rugby's Heineken Cup final, before joining Ireland on a three-year contract through to the 2011 World Cup.

O'Sullivan had led Ireland since 2001 to its best results in the modern era, but resigned in March after his highly regarded squad slumped in the World Cup and Six Nations.

He quit after a 33-10 loss at England left Ireland to finish in fourth place in the Six Nations, its worst result since 1999.

Kidney's task now is to lift Ireland back into contention for honours.

"The record of Declan Kidney speaks for itself," Irish Rugby Football Union chief executive Philip Browne said. "His ability to achieve success and develop players in the ever increasing competitive arena of professional rugby is proven and the IRFU is delighted to have made this appointment."

Kidney has reached four Heineken Cup finals in two stints with Munster, losing in 2000 and 2002 before winning in 2006.

His first stint ended in 2002 when he became O'Sullivan's assistant with the national side, but he returned three years later.

Kidney will lead Munster in the May 25 final against Toulouse at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium before joining Ireland and initially focusing on the coaching setup.

"While the need to make the appointment as soon as was practicable was important, the IRFU was conscious of keeping any disruption to the preparations of the Munster team to a minimum," Browne said.

Kidney has already coached the Ireland schools and the Ireland under-19 teams, including the side that won the under-19 1998 World Cup. That team included current internationals Brian O'Driscoll, Donncha O'Callaghan and Paddy Wallace.

"There is no greater honor for any coach then to lead his own country," Kidney said. "I have had that privilege at several levels of the game in Ireland ... and I am delighted to have this opportunity and to be here at what is the pinnacle of my career."

Only a year ago, O'Sullivan was considered one of the star coaches in world rugby, and his new four-year contract even contained a clause allowing him to take time off from the job if he was appointed to coach the British and Irish Lions in 2009.

Ireland achieved a No. 3 world ranking in late 2006 and early 2007, but failed to advance past the first round of last year's World Cup and then slumped badly in the Six Nations.

Nonetheless, Kidney expects to be able to rally the same players.

"I have worked with many exceptional players during my career at both international and provincial level and there is no doubt that we have the talent in Ireland to be successful at the highest level," Kidney said.

vCash
    You can never have too much kidney.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Does anyone else find it amusing that with Kidney's appointment that makes two new coaches (Johnson as the other) that are washing their hands of their upcoming tour of New Zealand? That can't be a coincidence.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    and why would that be James - is it because...