Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Academy win!!

vCash

Academy win!!

5 May 2008

LANDSLIDE

The WA Academy team had a familiar look when they ran on to Subiaco Oval for the curtain-raiser against Singapore on Saturday.

Lachlan MacKay, Gareth Hardy, Jon McGrath and Josh Tatupu all turned out for the Academy rather than in the Force’s blue and black to which they are more accustomed.

Stacked with Super 14 talent, the Academy predictably trounced the visitors 113-7. Hardy survived his first game back from an ankle injury and is in contention for a place in the Force squad to travel to Wellington.

PRIZE NIGHT

Tickets are on sale for the Western Force awards night at the Burswood resort on July 11.

Scott Staniforth and Matt Giteau won the two previous player of the year awards and are in contention again this year.

Tickets are $185 and the Force are taking bookings on 9387 0700.

LADIES’ DAY

The cauliflower ears, scabbed knees and muddied faces will contrast vividly with the glamour on the sidelines when Wests-Subiaco host Nedlands in a first-grade club game at Rosalie Park on Saturday week.

Wives and partners of the Wests-Subiaco players have organised a ladies’ day, with participants enjoying drinks and snacks in a marquee next to the club house.

Dress up and have $30 at the ready if you want to be in it.

TA-TA TO TAHS

The Wallabies will be looking for a new No. 8 after Waratah veteran David Lyons signed a deal to play for Welsh side Llanelli.

Lyons, who broke an ankle against Canada in last year’s World Cup, brought up his 100th game for NSW this season.

Wycliff Palu, Richard Brown and Leroy Houston won’t mind his departure, which eliminates him from Wallabies consideration.

ROD ON MAT

Queensland Reds prop Rodney Blake will face a judicial hearing tomorrow night after the match review committee cited him for a dangerous tackle on Blues flanker Daniel Braid in the second half of last Friday’s Super 14 match at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

The hearing will be held at Queensland Rugby headquarters at Ballymore.

ON THE LAM

Auckland coach Pat Lam wants to succeed David Nucifora as coach of the Super 14 Blues.

Lam guided Auckland to the Air New Zealand Cup and Ranfurly Shield, which he feels will count in his favour when the top job is advertised.

Nucifora is returning to Australia, probably to become ARU high performance manager.

SCORCHED

Hindsight is always crystal clear and columnists in Sydney are getting stuck into the NSW Rugby Union for getting rid of coach Ewen McKenzie in a season the Waratahs are bound for the semifinals.

Media personality Rebecca Wilson had this pop at the NSWRU in the Sunday Telegraph: “NSW rugby is one of those troubled beasts that could be likened to putting an octopus in a sack.

“It is made up of a blazer-wearing bunch of egotists who believe they know absolutely everything about the game played in heaven. Those close to the flame claim it is more like hell.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    was that actually a game?? i thought they were just having a training run?!?

vCash
    Lachlan MacKay, Gareth Hardy, Jon McGrath and Josh Tatupu all turned out for the Academy rather than in the Force’s blue and black to which they are more accustomed.

Stacked with Super 14 talent, the Academy predictably trounced the visitors 113-7. Hardy survived his first game back from an ankle injury and is in contention for a place in the Force squad to travel to Wellington.
    Anybody else find that a bit strange? Not much of a comment on the local premiership if the coaches think that is more suitable. Not to mention what good it did the Singaporeans. Glad we went to the Bowlo instead.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Anybody else find that a bit strange? Not much of a comment on the local premiership if the coaches think that is more suitable. Not to mention what good it did the Singaporeans. Glad we went to the Bowlo instead.
    Maybe they thought the Singaporeans would be better. Maybe there is a more business motivation behind it. By the look of it though it would have been better for them to play locally.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Strange indeed...although the bowlo was en excellent option instead

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Maybe they thought the Singaporeans would be better. Maybe there is a more business motivation behind it. By the look of it though it would have been better for them to play locally.
    I would hope they were fostering relations and giving the Singapoeans some encouragement. Not that it would have been very encouraging, but maybe RugbyWA could perhaps look at sending the Premiers or an A grade select side up there post season, maybe even a home/away fixture, and perhaps even have a look at who else might be interested? (I'd love to see a WA amateur side have a lash at Japan!)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I would hope they were fostering relations and giving the Singapoeans some encouragement. Not that it would have been very encouraging, but maybe RugbyWA could perhaps look at sending the Premiers or an A grade select side up there post season, maybe even a home/away fixture, and perhaps even have a look at who else might be interested? (I'd love to see a WA amateur side have a lash at Japan!)
    Give Perth's closeness geographically to Singapore (or compared to everyone else at least anyway) I had thought they might be looking to have someone like Singapore Airlines as a back-up if things with Emirates ever fall through.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd be surprised, but again wonder if there might be a sponsorship link there for the state team/genuine academy levels - the Singaporeans can be surprisingly supportive of local stuff, there is Malaysia right next door, Korea, Hong Kong etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Give Perth's closeness geographically to Singapore (or compared to everyone else at least anyway) I had thought they might be looking to have someone like Singapore Airlines as a back-up if things with Emirates ever fall through.
    There's thinking with your noggin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    What was also strange was that the game started about 15 mins before the gates opened! I was TJ for the game and I would've thought there'd be one or two folk interested in watching. It was a very slick, quick game and the Academy side were very well coached to keep playing their patterns etc. Often you see players lining up to score the next try in blow-outs like this.

By the way, the score could've been way bigger, had Nigel Staniforth been able to kick the pill - There were so many tries I can't remember, but he kicked maybe 3 out of 10 before he was relieved of the kicking duties...

vCash
    Is he Scott's brother?

vCash
    My understanding is that he's Scott's little brother. Played #12. Plays #12 for Soaks.

vCash
    He was horrible on the boot eh!

The Singaporeans looked like they were made up of expats and locals. They weren't really that influential in their playing and it was a one sided affair. I thought that even one of our 1st grade team will prob be able to beat them. But on another note, i'm thinking that if i ever want to be an 'international player', ill go get a Singapore citizenship and play rugby there. Cos from the game, it looks like i'll have a good cahce against their props.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    He was horrible on the boot eh!

The Singaporeans looked like they were made up of expats and locals. They weren't really that influential in their playing and it was a one sided affair. I thought that even one of our 1st grade team will prob be able to beat them. But on another note, i'm thinking that if i ever want to be an 'international player', ill go get a Singapore citizenship and play rugby there. Cos from the game, it looks like i'll have a good cahce against their props.
    I was thinking the same thing! Only I'd offer my services at 10 thru 14.

"Oh yes ladies, I'm an international rugby player"

vCash
    Exactly. I just wont say which country i play for. Cos that totally gives it all away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast