Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force find new star in win

vCash

Force find new star in win

Force find new star in win

May 03, 2008 WESTERN Force found some much needed confidence - and a potential backline superstar in James O'Connor - as they pipped the Chiefs 22-21 in a Super 14 thriller at Subiaco Oval.

Established Australia player Matt Giteau slotted a penalty after the siren to keep the Force's slim semi-finals hopes alive.

But, making his run-on debut at just 17 years, O'Connor belied his inexperience and diminutive frame with a big performance.

The teenager was great in defence and attack and set up the third Force try for James Stannard after early scores to Matt Hodgson and Drew Mitchell.

Second half tries to Lelia Masaga and Stephen Donald and a field goal to Callum Bruce put the Chiefs in sight of a sixth successive win - until the after-the-siren penalty gave the Giteau the chance he did not waste.

Having won just one of their last four outings, Force coach John Mitchell made wholesale changes, including elevating O'Connor and recalling Matt Hodgson into an unaccustomed number eight role.

It was Hodgson who made the earliest impact, charging down Richard Nutbrown's defensive clearance to plunge over.

But after another Force prospect Kieran Longbottom was given his debut following an horrendous thumb injury to Pek Cowan, it was O'Connor who showed why he has already been compared to Tim Horan and Giteau.

Mitchell's try on 11 minutes put the Chiefs on the back foot, with their natural fluency - and Donald's place kicking - both going missing.

Trailing 14-3 at half-time and with their finals ambitions sinking, it took just two minutes of the second half for Sitiveni Sivivatu's step and hand off to put two Force defenders out of the equation, with a raking pass finding Masaga wide.

That set up an amazing second half, with O'Connor showing his class, the Chiefs showing their desperation and the Force showing the fight lacking in recent weeks.

Inside the last 20 minutes, O'Connor's step and break led to Stannard's first Super 14 try.

But, from the next phase, Masaga topped O'Connor's midfield break with a fabulous stepping run, allowing Donald to stroll under the posts.

Donald's penalty five minutes later brought the deficit back to one, prompting a crazy passage of play with minutes remaining.

With Nick Cummins and Troy Takiari laid prone with injuries, the Chiefs somehow failed to score - until Bruce's sweet strike with three minutes remaining.

But the Force would not lie down, with bursts from Shepherd and Sitaleki Timani putting the home side in range of the line, Shepherd eventually diving over in the corner.

Referee Marius Jonker disallowed the try due to a knock on, but a penalty advantage for an earlier offside allowed Giteau to slot the winning points.

More to come…

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ecky, one question, i always thought the TMO was not allowed to comment on knock ons or such stuff unless it was in goal. Isnt he only supposed to look at the grounding or touch etc?

vCash
    Good question GTF.

After watching the replays it was indeed the slightest of knockons, so the right call in the end (I can say that happily).

vCash
    i still don't like the TMO judge
    eeeeeeeeeeeeevvilll

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    I admit there was a knock on and shouldnt have been a try. Just wondering waht the deal was though.

Champion
    vCash
    but have a look, it looks like he (shep) transfers it from one hand to the other, the ball never moves from the grass, or are they saving luke holmes knocked it on.

Also Kearns and other commentators did say the TMO can only decide on the put down of the try and not "offsides", "forward passes", "knock ons" or any other incident.

vCash

o'connor was very good for a young guy that run in the second half there gave me goosebumps and was happy to see the kid showing some teamates that tackling round the ankles is very effective ...
    and longbottom was very promising. the scrum looked solid after he came on and he didn't hesitate at the ruck either really throwing himself in there

it was also pleasing to see cummins, hodgson and stannard show a bit and haylet-petty get some game time

vCash
    hodgson was fantastic tonight!!! so was cummins, almost a try. o'connor, as i said before, was FANTASTIC

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    God I hope they all pull up well from the various injuries going round. I am half expecting the boys to come out in Wellington dressed like Darth Vader- after all those injuries they are probably more machine than man. Drew Mitchell was definitely playing like a machine.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My vote for the most outstanding newcomer of the night was Kieran Longbottom. I am going to go look at the replay but all the talk around us was how after he came on the scrum really stabilised.

Well Done KL.

vCash
    he played so well. damn proud he is born and bred WA

vCash
    If anyone has a copy of the game, I would love to watch it!!! (Please take sympathy, I dont have foxtel & I doubt it goes out to where I live)

Like I said in all the other threads, brilliant.

1 point is all it takes to make me one very happy girl!

THANKYOU FORCE!

Last edited by laura; 03-05-08 at 22:42. Reason: no foxtel

vCash
    the replay should be on foxtel tomorrow morning ....

vCash
    quelle heure?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    quelle heure?
    huh?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast