Thread: Reds announce team to play Blues

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Reds announce team to play Blues

Reds announce team to play Blues

February 21, 2006 - 5:42pm
    Story by: QRU

Hugh McMeniman will start at flanker for the Reds this weekend
    QR Queensland Reds coach Jeff Miller today named an unchanged squad for the Tooheys New Super 14 match against the Blues at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night, kick-off 7.35pm.
    However Miller has made one change to the run on side with hooker Stephen Moore set to wear the No: 2 jersey and Sean Hardman to start the match from the bench, but it is not a reflection of being dissatisfied with Hardman's performances.
    "We've been very comfortable with that arrangement (Hardman starting)," Miller said.
    "We just want to have a look at Stephen actually starting this weekend and bringing Sean on and seeing what effect that will have."
    "We really want to try attack the Blues, I don't think there's and secret there. Stephen's just a bigger unit and is probably a better ball runner at the moment."
    After showing an increased competitive edge in the first two matches of the season, the Reds are well aware of how important maintaining and improving on their performances will be this week. Miller believes the fact that the Blues are also seeking their first win is going to make this weekend's clash even tougher.
    "I know that that's very dangerous for us because they'll come over here even more intense than they normally would have been."
    Miller has retained the backline from last week's game. The dilemma surrounding how to fit Lloyd Johansson into the starting line up is one Miller believes will keep surfacing each week, with Flatley's goal-kicking form and Berrick Barnes's vision and direction around the field.
    "I have to say we're a bit reluctant to disrupt the formula that's been working for us at the moment. But we need to take each game on its merit."
    The forced selection of Hugh McMeniman at flanker after the injury to John Roe is one not creating any headaches for the coach, after a solid performance by the two-metre giant.
    Having beefed up 10kg to 113kg since the start of last season, McMeniman says he's enjoying running with the ball and hopes to continue his great defensive work.
    "I don't mind a bit of contact… I like to dominate my opposition," he said.
    He's also enjoying the mood around the team as they continue to impress despite the early season defeats.
    "There's a lot of camaraderie in the team right now. Even though we lost to the Crusaders there was a special feeling there after the game."

The team is:
    1. Greg Holmes,
    2. Stephen Moore,
    3. Rodney Blake,
    4. Mark Connors,
    5. James Horwill,
    6. Hugh McMeniman,
    7. David Croft,
    8. Mitchell Chapman,
    9. Sam Cordingley,
    10. Berrick Barnes,
    11. Drew Mitchell,
    12. Elton Flatley,
    13. Julian Huxley,
    14. Henari Veratau,
    15. Chris Latham (c),

16. Sean Hardman,
    17. Tom Court,
    18. Cameron Treloar,
    19. Tom McVerry,
    20. Josh Valentine,
    21. Lloyd Johansson,
    22. Caleb Brown

As with the "Farmer Boy" story with James McCormack over at the Brumbies, the Tom Court story is well worth reading as well: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23217,00.html
    Are these the last reminders of our Amature past or will such players continue to pop up?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm still sticking to my guns that I WON'T pick the blues this week. Just a pity cos I don't ever want to have to pick the reds hehe.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!