Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tough call but maybe Latham should go?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    everything needs to be in balance. If there is one Tah on the wing then the other wing needs to be a Tah as well. If there were no Tahs on the wings then things would be out of balance. Better to have the backline as Tah players and a few on the bench, just to be safe.

DrewShmoo can be on the call up list after the the kid who plays Randwick 3rd Grade.
    i think it's a better chance of winning if its out-of-balance with no tahs, to be honest! drew can have one wing... and i suppose lote can have the other... cummins on the bench.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    cummins should get called up too, i know he's made some crucial mistakes but the acceleration with the ball that he has is valuable

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, if we are on the topic, do we really think that our team in 2011 will feature a 32yr old winger and 34yr old outside centre?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    shep was injured for a large part of last season, but he was included in the test team....on his past performances...
    I wouldn't say Shep was injured for a large part of the season - he missed the last couple of weeks of S14, he played a very big role in the ARC, which led to his late call up to the RWC.

Expanding on what I wrote earlier - Gregan was a good no 9 in his last year. He wasn't great. His strength was his knowledge of moves used in conjunction with Larkham. I guess we all have opinions on his form compared to other no 9s, but I do not feel he was the best option.

As for Latho, I have been a massive fan of him, and I agree he adds an element of danger to any side he is in. But at his age, he isn't going to go around at the next RWC. He isn't going to be a factor in 2010, let alone 2011. So why not use someone like Shep, who is an established fullback with utility value, and let the players who will be here for the next 2-3 years play into their position.

As a Wallabies fan, I am prepared that this year may not be a blinder for us, but I am genuinely looking forward to seeing the likes of Barnes, Beale, Cooper and of course our EWF players getting a real go. The ARU is reflecting this in their offers to players like Gerard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    cummins should get called up too, i know he's made some crucial mistakes but the acceleration with the ball that he has is valuable
    Thats abit ambitious for the lad..needs more time..another season of S14 perhaps (or ARC..sorry, that's been scrapped).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    If there were no Tahs on the wings then things would be out of balance.
    Kind of like a headless chook?

vCash
    I have nothing but the up-most respect for Chris Latham.

I know that he is injured but his knowledge and skill are tremendously valuable to any team. He may be slowing down and if he leaves at the end of the season, he wont be in our world cup team, but while we can use him we should.

I say put him in the squad, it cant hurt the team prospects. Have Shep on the bench and if he is injured during the season or isn't fit to play then harness his knowledge, get him to help with training. Get him to teach the younger guys to be as brilliant as him.

vCash
    Well, I wanted to weigh in a while ago so forgive me if this is a bit jumbled, I just read the long trail of replies before I answered.
    1 This is pretty standard tripe from Mark Ella, he doesn't manage Latho, so Latho's washed up, he doesn't seem to mange Shep or anybody else who he has begrudgingly offered the chance of a slot, but he does manage some of the names he's pulled out of thin air with no results to justify them.

As for Latho, there are two considerations here. firstly, will he play World Cup...I say no and that is a definite challenge to his selection hopes (Ozzie Rob is paid to win the World Cup, make no mistake) Secondly is he valuable from a succession planning point of view, Have him in the squad and playing 40 minutes for the first season as a "watch this.........go do the same" sort of thing. I think for that reason he'd be very valuable. Shep is an awesome ball runner and has plenty going for him, but there's still stuff for him to learn, I think Latho could help him learn that!

As for George Gregan.....no question he was the best halfback in Australian rugby last year....that point was proven conclusively when John Connolly (Remember John Conolly, how much did he like Greegs?) picked him for the World Cup. Knuckles did his ABSOLUTE BEST to pick any halfback other than Greegs, and in the end went back to the master. no Georgie wasn't the fastes, he didn't have the best pass either, but he commanded respect and drove the entire team. That was his talent and it made him the best halfback Australia had........He also hadn't lost any of his hitting ability!

There, I think I'm done!

C'mon the

vCash
    I'd like to think Latham has done enough to earn a fairwell tour so to speak. I mean there is still 3 or 4 seasons of test rugby to give Sheps of Gerrard time to make the position they're own. Seeing as they've both already played test rugby their development wont take as long.
    As for Gregan he was still in the team because there wasn't a halfback good enough to replace him. Please dont start about Henjak it should be pretty obvious by now why he wasnt selected.
    Im sure Deans will pick a very competitive backline as there will be a good level of talent available for a few years to come.
    The thought of Sharpie losing his test spot is disappointing. As for Brownie, hes form has been terrific and he can play any of the backrow positions therefore if his form continues then it will be hard to leave him out. As always the frontrow is the real concern as there is a good enough level of 2row and loose forward talent available .
    At the end of the day Deans will select the players who best suit his gameplan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    It would be nice but it might take another year or two to smooth out the rough edges he has and make himself a test regular. Unfortunately hes currently behind tuqiri, mitchell, gerrard, shep, spanner, cross, turner, ioane, latham. BUT he has the talent to force his way into contention by 2011 and is still only 19 or 20.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3