Thread: John Welborn Cup

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

John Welborn Cup

Announced in Mondays' West Australian, the Western Force home games will now feature fixtures from the John Welborn Cup as the curtaian-raiser match.
    This will start this Friday with a match between Mandurah Catholic College and CBC Fremantle and will include All Saints, Aranmore, Kelmscott, Kolbe, Newman and Safety Bay in future weeks.
    Personally I find it a shame that Welborns name hasn't been able to be used for a PSA or open competition having come from Scotch College in the PSA however, at least some recognition has been given.
    To my knowledge Aranmore and CBC Fremantle are the two to beat in recent years however others will have better knowledge on this than me.
    It is a great development that we are able to expose some of our future senior players to playing in the curtain-raiser and I would encourage you to get to the match early to see and support these potential stars of the future.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It's been a personal piss-off with me that John Welborn didn't get the recognition he deserved here in WA when he first became a Wallaby. He's WA's first and only - but not for much longer

He didn't even rate a nomination for the WA sports star of the year. IIRC some of the nominations at the time were for some really obscure performances too along with all the usual suspects - 3 or 4 WCE's, Longley, Vlahov, 1 male & 1 female hockey player and a couple of cricketers.

Happily rugby's media profile in WA today is a little more realistic. I've even heard that one G. Grljusich is now claiming to have been a rugby player in his uni days
    Hopefully this injustice will be reversed in about 5 years when John is inducted into the WA sporting hall of fame.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    I've even heard that one G. Grljusich is now claiming to have been a rugby player in his uni days
    Give it ten years and there'll be 60,000 claim to have been at the first game Shasta
    Totally agree re Welborn but I don't talk it up too often for fear of coming across as biased being a fellow Old Scotch Collegian. After all this time I imagine Scotch will now name some award after him now that he's in the public eye again
    As they say, better late than never I guess?

Last edited by Burgs; 23-02-06 at 00:42.