Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Proposed new multi-purpose stadium

vCash
    I can't get to BDO most years, because most years it falls on the same day as cricket ODI at the WACA or i'm playing cricket myself. Cricket is my priority.

One more thing that i thought of this arvo whilst infringing the drivers of Perth was the question, does the Subiaco City Council still have limits on the amount of games that can be played at night?? Because if they do and AFL is the primary tennant at MPS it doesn't take a genius to work out who will get the shaft in that regards to fixturing

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Which is to say: very minor sport (crowds of maybe a thousand or so?), one event and a whole lot of hoping about concerts. Would love to know how they got their business case approved - maybe RugbyWA should request it for use as a template for when they are trying to justify their own ground.
    12000 for sport, 14000 for concerts.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I like the finished article(very outward looking for the fun police), unfortunately with the Govt backing this , Packer was shafted for Burswood( hence no stadium). This arena was the the short straw for him as this is bread and butter income! Hope the acoustics are good.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post

depends on who it is.
    maiden could have sold out subi. pearl jam and bon jovi did it
    chili peppers would have.
    foo fighters would have come close
    metallica have a new album comming out (eventually) they will DEFINATLEY sell out subi any anywhere else they play - provided they come to perth.
    there are more bands that i'm not thinking of at the moment with the ability to pull massive crowds. these are just the bands i listen to.

vCash
    I just looked at the "interior pics" of the Perth Arena (half of which were external shots).

Wonder why the colouring is all West Coast Eagles colours....

vCash
    If it's gonna link Perth and Northbridge I'm happy with it...

vCash
    I just looked at the "interior pics" of the Perth Arena (half of which were external shots).

Wonder why the colouring is all West Coast Eagles colours....
    Because the government have a major hard on for them?

Or maybe the Weagles are going to start up a basketball team...

vCash
    The Northbridge Link project apparently will not be recieving funding in this years budget. Despite the Government saying it would when it revealed it's Swan River masterplan

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed, but the point I was trying to make is that I didn't think Basketball got anywhere near 12,000 and there cannot have been any concerts committed, so how have they justified the stadium when Rugby is consistently told that they won't get their own stadium unless they can prove the economics?

vCash

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Greydemon View Post
    Having just read the multi-purpose stadium article in 'The West' I have sent this letter to the Letters page. Probably won't get printed but I suggest that we all have a go to get our point of view across. Sorry about the length, once I got started ....

Here it is:

The long awaited release of plans for the new so called "multi- purpose" stadium has revealed it to be the major disaster anticipated by many. The spin spouted by ex-Eagles coach Ron Alexander , comparing it to other sub-standard facilities fools nobody. Comparison was made with one first class facility - Suncorp Stadium - claiming that spectators will be "on average only 9m farther from the action" . Now 9 metres is a long way, but its even further when you consider that the comparison is between stadia of 30,000 here and 52,500 in Brisbane. So what that means is that we should be happy to be 9 metres further from the action than people sitting in a stadium which is 75% bigger. Yes, that certainly sets my thrill metres spinning.

Lets look at another claim " … a similar view to ticket holders at State (sic) de France in Paris.." Stade de France is another multi-purpose venue, it seats 78,500 with a running track around the playing surface and has retractable seating a long way from the action. The view might perhaps be a little better than the existing Subiaco Oval but nothing to get excited about.

It is admitted that the front row of seating will be twice as far from the sideline compared to a purpose built stadium. As compensation we are offered large video screens, and monitors to watch while we queue for food, drink and toilets. I have a video screen at home - at the game you want to see the live action. The provision of the monitors suggests that the Subiaco queue for ever for everything problem is not going to improve.

The planned capacity is 30,000. I am not sure of the size of the average Force crowd but 25000 to 27000 wouldn't be unusual, even at Subiaco. With a rectangular stadium, even a sub-standard one, 30,000 would soon be too small - can the unused 'graveyard' seating be progressively made available?

Lastly, this 'graveyard' seating is also an issue. I think the artist has been somewhat dishonest in leaving it out of the 'artists impression'. We are talking about a further 30,000 seats - half the stadium - glowering over the spectators, that will no doubt give the stadium all the atmosphere of a pub on the moon.
    Maybe if our name had "eagles " in it..we would get everything we want..

vCash
    no maybe's about that mate
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    One more thing that i thought of this arvo whilst infringing the drivers of Perth was the question, does the Subiaco City Council still have limits on the amount of games that can be played at night?? Because if they do and AFL is the primary tennant at MPS it doesn't take a genius to work out who will get the shaft in that regards to fixturing
    Good point. Although they will have to buy back a lot of land with homes on it, they can't buy out all their neighbors. I'm sure they will still have that style of restriction to keep the residents of the area happy once the MPS is built and active.

Day matches anyone?

Go The Force!

vCash

vCash
    Ooohhh, lookit. A multi-purpose Aussie Rules stadium: where both the Weagles AND the Dockers can play!

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8