Thread: WA Rugby Cup Competition Required

vCash

Exclamation WA Rugby Cup Competition Required

WA Rugby needs a cup tournament. Something similar to the shute shield.
    If there is a draw made and then played out over 3 or 4 weeks - culminating in a cup final at Members equity stadium or Perry Lakes.

All the teams could play for a trophy or indeed like the 7's - a cup, a shield and a plate.

It would be good if it could be televised!
    Perhaps this would help raise the awareness of all Rugby Clubs in WA and increase the sponsorship dollars!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    sounds like a job for Channel 31? Anyone know anything about them and how to get a program aired?

vCash
    Or maybe even ABC? They show WAFL....anything is better than that!

They're going to need something next year.

With Perth Gold no longer in the Telstra Shield competition there needs to be something for our amateur/local players to have a crack at.

Back in NZ they often play subunion rugby (teams from a district that is a subset of a larger union - usually 2-3 club teams representing a town or two) that have a knock out build up culminating in playing the holder of the trophy from the previous season. Usually an extra 2-3 games.

Another thing that was quite popular was a knock out contest at the end of the regular season where no state representatives were allowed to play. Levelled the playing field and got colts a few games of senior rugby without all the pressure that occurs during the season proper.

But definately they should be fighting the ARU to retain a place for the Gold utilising non Force contracted players.

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Is that official re Telstra Shield Redbull or an assumption?
    I would think that Rugby WA could put up a very good argument to keep our place in that comp even if it was just for the A Grade and Country sides to fill the squad.
    Still a long way to go for WA to develop the game across the board, S14 isn't the full solution.

Yep thats from the horses mouth.

Rugby WA are fighting tooth and nail to keep something going.

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I hope they are successful, would be a great shame to drop out now.

Unfortunately rugby is a bit like AFL, whereas Victoria dominates that comp, NSW dominates the ARU.

Rugby WA has been a victim of its own success to a degree.

Membership, sponsorship, players, coaching staff, strategy, preparedness etc all exceeds the expectations of the ARU and the main powerbrokers (NSW and QLD). I think they have been taken aback by the little brother's brashness and success and are getting a bit sulky.

This, I believe, is a little power play to remind Rugby WA to pull its head in a little.

Classic example of the myopic thinking was the split from the Rugby World Cup. The ARU wanted the funds available to unions to increase participation in the sport (very commendable) however they divided it up on basis of playing members. Therefore states with the smaller membership bases, where you would assume they are trying to grow the game, got bugger all and the big 2 followed by ACT got a huge whack.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And people wonder why I continue to use the term "Eastern Stater"??!!

Kind of duplicating Country Rugby post a bit here but a relationship between city clubs and "adopted" country cousins may be a step in the right direction for no.8s proposal?
    Or perhaps a rep team from each country comp?
    Might get blown away for a bit but at least are drawn in to the WA Rugby community and gain a bit of prestige to play the game in their home towns rather than turning to Australian Rules.

vCash
    Has there been any update on the situation with WA in the Telstra Shield?
    I'd support the concept of WA having a team based on the "A" clubs, it's only fair to match with the NSW and Qld Country teams I would have thought?