Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The West- "Rugby Fans promised much better viewing at new stadium"

vCash

The West- "Rugby Fans promised much better viewing at new stadium"

The West- 24-04-08 Dave Hughes

Rugby spectators will be on average only 9m farther from the action at Perth's proposed $1.1 billion multi-purpose stadium than fans at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium, considered the best rugby venue in the world.

New swing-seat technology will transform the lower tier of the oval at Kitchener Park into a rectangular arena holding 22,000, with the front row of seats more than half as close to the touchline as at Subiaco Oval.

Two higher tiers of corporate facilities, holding 7500 and 880 guest respectively, will complete the stadium in a Super 14 configuration, wht the 30,000 upper tier likely to be closed off teh concentrate fans- and therefore atmosphere- as close as possible to the field.

The operators of Suncorp Stadium used the same approach when the Western Force lost to the Queensland Reds last Friday. With only 18,000 attending the game, the upper tiers at either end were off limits to fans.

Department of Sport and Recreation boss Ron Alexander said Western Force followers would be closer to the playing field then at such notable rugby grounds as Sydney's ANZ Stadium , the Brumbie's Canberra Stadium, AMI Stadium in Christchurch and Westpac Stadium in Wellington They would have a similar view to ticket holders at State de France in Paris, the venue for last year's World Cup Final.

"The big thing for the Western Force is that the lower tier will form a complete rectangle, rather than having large gaps in the corners," Alexander said yesterday. "That will give it the look and feel of the rugby stadium, rather than a footy oval with a block of seats pulled out".

Alexander said 80 percent of the seats would be under cover and the roof had been designed to capture light and sound. "The stadium will appear more enclosed and this will enhance atmosphere", he said. The seating tiers will be more steeply raked than at Subiaco Oval, creating better viewing and rows will be further apart allowing spectators easier access to seats from stairways.

The front row of seats will be a minimum of 1.5m above the playing surface, giving customers an unrestricted view over advertising signage and team benches.

Although fans will not be as close to the players as at a purpose built rectangular stadium, where the distance from the front row to the sideline is usually 5.7m- or half that at the multipurpose area spectator facilities will be considerably better than at any existing stadium in Australia.

There will be two huge video screens in the arena and dozens of monitors scattered throughout the concourses behind the seating areas to enable those at food and beverage outlets to watch the on-field action.

The concourses, containing food outlets, bars and toilets, will circle the ground and be built under cover. Public and private facilities for dinner are being planned and the long queues for food, drinks and toilets which fans are used to will become a thing of the past.

Construction is scheduled to start in 2011 with Super 14 to be played there from 2016. The adjacent West Leederville train station will also undergo a major upgrade to cater for large crowds.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Swee_82; 24-04-08 at 20:52.

vCash
    I think this article smells fishy................

vCash
    i've been to christchurch, wasn't bad, but aren't they in the process of improving that now anyway? so will it be better than old ami stadium or new ami stadium?

will the field at least be level? unlike subi where if you look diagonally across the field you can only see the players from the waist up? (slight exagerration but you get my drift)

Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer.
    - Chris Laidlaw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    I'm sorry, but this has got to be one of the most blatent puff pieces I've seen for a while (maybe I don't read the West often enough to be accustomed to this stuff).
    Puff pieces in the West? Surely not...

vCash
    i still think they should move the force to melbourne, much better viewing!
    rename them and get them new colours as well!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Exactly how much would Ron Alexander know about Rugby?

well apart from its played on a Rectangular playing surface.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Probably not much more then that.

i had a close look at the picture and it looks like the guy who is getting ready to throw the ball into the lineout has a 3 on his back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    I know... but Dave Hughes doesn't normally write this sort of unadultered crap
    Fair enough

vCash
    Probably. While we're at it we should get some elephants in the picture

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I still want to see some decent explanation as to how they are going to "swing" 20,000 seats of stands over the top of a grass pitch without having to dig it up. The minute a patch of grass is dug up we will not be moving stands on the same weekend as an AFL game....I'm pretty damn sure of that!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    i still think they should move the force to melbourne, much better viewing!
    rename them and get them new colours as well!
    Yeah the Storm can show them the way to not matter to the people of Melbourne.

vCash
    Did someone say Elephants

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    At least we now know what to call the new stadium

"The Albino Pacaderm Stadium"

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    The stands at Olympic Park where the Storm play have looked pretty full of late. And their about to move into a 30,000 seat dedicated rectangular stadium, so regardless of crowd figure they are one up on us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    I still want to see some decent explanation as to how they are going to "swing" 20,000 seats of stands over the top of a grass pitch without having to dig it up. The minute a patch of grass is dug up we will not be moving stands on the same weekend as an AFL game....I'm pretty damn sure of that!
    That's my biggest hang-up with the whole bloody thing. Nobody from any of the stakeholders has answered that question. If it's been a serious consideration they could have set minds at rest by explaining the logistics. I'm gonna ask Ron Alexander himself, by letter. If I get an answer I'll post it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast