Poll: What is the way forward for the Tri Nations?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Argentina for the Southern Nations Series

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Argentina for the Southern Nations Series

An old favourite on some other Rugby sites but now that it's topical I thought we could cover it for awhile here.
    Should we be looking to expand the Tri Nations to include los Pumas, should it be the Pacific Islands as a group or individually instead?
    Have a vote and let us know your thoughts.

Boks want Pumas in Tri-Nations

From Craig Ray in Cape Town
    February 21, 2006

A SOUTH African Rugby Union official said his union would support the inclusion of Argentina to an expanded Tri-Nations format if the matter ever reached boardroom level.

"We would support your request to play in the Tri-nations," SARU deputy chief executive Mveleli Ncula told the Argentinean ambassador to South Africa at a function.

The southern hemisphere's premier rugby competition sees the Springboks, the All Blacks and Wallabies compete on an annual home and away basis.

Argentina has long expressed an interest in becoming part of the competition but so far has been unsuccessful in its efforts to be included.

Recently the three nations signed an extension to their television deal that will see the tournament remain as it is for at least the next five years.

"We belong in a tournament in the southern hemisphere and not in an expanded Six Nations," Ambassador Carlos Sersale di Cerisano said.

An idea to base the Pumas in Spain and play in an expanded Six Nations tournament had been speculated upon in the British media several months ago.

"If the idea of including the Pumas ever reached the SANZAR boardroom we would offer our support at those discussions," Ncula said.

"But at this stage that possibility is at least five years away."

Springboks coach Jake White also said he would welcome the inclusion of the Pumas.
    "I think it would add a new dimension to the tournament and perhaps refresh it," White said.

"Many people have been calling for a return to longer tours instead of a Tri-Nations, but perhaps the inclusion of Argentina would be another option.

"It would mean vast travelling distances, which might help us as New Zealand and Australia would have to travel more than they currently do.

"Argentina have improved their player base tremendously through the French league, and the Tri-nations would give them a chance to regularly play as a national team and further improve their rugby."

Reuters

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well we can't do nuffink til 2010 so when we say look to the future, we obviously mean THE FUTURE.

I dunno, I try not to be so biased that I'm one-eyed, the 3N is great but an expanded comp with Argie can't hurt.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    Well we can't do nuffink til 2010
    I would think that if the sponsors were presented with an increased market place and improved product to sponsor they could be attracted back to the negotiation table Sage?
    At this stage it is realistically too late for '06 but next year the comp changes back to a two round series because of the World Cup. That may provide the opportunity to slide one team in and potentially shortening the season as each team would have a game per week rather than a rolling bye, which greatly influences some results.

vCash
    Probably, but getting SANZAR to agree on something will probably take til 2010 and beyond anyway. Rumor has it SA are keen, ARU SHOULD be if they want to honour what they've been talking about global expansion, and NZ will say yes if there's something in it for them.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Australia should back it so that there are more boofheaded props hitting the All Black and Springbok stars!!!

vCash
    Hehe very true.

Also I think if you let Argie in, a PI team should be in also. Might help stop NZ poaching so many players from the islands (allegedly)

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Our boys only get to play so many games a year - why should we restrict our selves to NZ and SA? As much as I enjoy them, drop the trinations and spread the love!

Surely ARU and wallabies coaching staff can make strategic decisions in advance and choose/request/organise games based on the type of game they want to focus on in the coming year and the skills trhey want to bring out in their players.

Just a thought ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I believe Argentina have requested to join the 6N too. Not sure which competition would be better for them........logistically I'm guessing southern hemisphere.

I was a bit of a doubter when Italy joined the 6N but they are now proving that it was worthwhile. I'm now all for letting other teams join the big competitions. I would have thought it would be in the interests of the primary Rugby nations to encourage the development of the game.

When they do let other countries in I'm not sure who will take the US but I guess we could toss a coin and the loser gets them.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I woudn't worry about the US. I'm sure they will make a "World Series" in which they are the only team that competes.

vCash
    i think the Samo would be a great inclusion to the tri nations
    get them some more game time against good opposition

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Starting to get off subject a little (but that is pretty usual for us!) but I would think that there is also an argument of forming a Comp around Samoa, Fiji, USA, Canada, Japan & Tonga.
    This would see the current 10th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 18th and 20th IRB ranked nations pooled together and I imagine would be a very competitive competition.
    With the inclusion of Argentina the "Southern Nations" would have the current 1st, 2nd, 5th & 9th nations and the Six Nations would consist of the current 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th & 12th nations.
    The only countries then outside of a top level comp out of the current top 20 would be Romania 15th, Uruguay 16th, Portugal 17th and Georgia 19th but if you ensured they all played the top nations in the SH Winter Tests they would get as much big game exposure as everyone else.
    Food for thought anyway!

vCash
    Certainly don't think this is official but I was under the impression Romania was the hot favourite to join the 6Ns if they expanded.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think newsbot would explode if he had to keep up with seven or eight teams each week
    There has also been rumours of Spain or Georgia.
    I hope they don't, in my mind it is really important to keep a certain equal standard between the teams otherwise the blowouts get too big.
    Playing the bigger names is good for development but consistently getting thrashed does nothing for anyone.
    The spread is about right for the 6N at the moment I reckon, on paper an obvious pecking order but still the possability of upsets.
    Is this the highest Scotland have been ranked for awhile TEF? Currently IRB 8.
    Seem to recall them bouncing between 9th and 11th in recent years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I think newsbot would explode if he had to keep up with seven or eight teams each week
    There has also been rumours of Spain or Georgia.
    I hope they don't, in my mind it is really important to keep a certain equal standard between the teams otherwise the blowouts get too big.
    Playing the bigger names is good for development but consistently getting thrashed does nothing for anyone.
    The spread is about right for the 6N at the moment I reckon, on paper an obvious pecking order but still the possability of upsets.
    Is this the highest Scotland have been ranked for awhile TEF? Currently IRB 8.
    Seem to recall them bouncing between 9th and 11th in recent years?

I'm not sure of the highest position we've been but I think that 8 is quite probably our best for a long time.

I see your point about consistently getting thrashed but it appears to be working with Italy......still surprised that Italians haven't developed there own form of Rugby i.e. running away from the ball. Haha.....joking

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Flee, flee, flee to the hills....
    By thrashing I'm talking the more 72-3 scorelines that would come out of regular England/France v Romania fixtures.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast