Thread: Hockings stays with the Force

vCash

Thumbs up Hockings stays with the Force

Hockings stays with the Force

19th April 2008, 11:45 WST

Rising lock Tom Hockings has provided a welcome consolation for the Western Force in the wake of their disastrous 29-12 Super 14 loss to Queensland.

North Queensland product Hockings, 22, has waved away strong interest from the Reds to remain with the Force and continue his fruitful second-row partnership with skipper Nathan Sharpe after this season.

Hockings was one of three former Queenslanders the Reds were hoping to lure home for 2009, with talks expected with teenagers Dave Pocock and James O’Connor in the coming days.

Reds high-performance director Ben Whitaker confirmed to AAP that Hockings’ management had advised he would stay in Perth.

It gives the Force a second reason to breathe easy on the youngster, tipped as a 2011 World Cup prospect, after he shrugged off a painful shoulder injury at Suncorp Stadium last night.

Hockings writhed in pain for a minute in back-play before being replaced but coach John Mitchell was relieved to declare the injury a mere stinger and he’s expected to be available for their next match against the Chiefs at Subiaco Oval on May 3.

Mitchell will consider swinging the axe for the Force’s final three matches and blood youngsters in preparation for the 2009 season.

He virtually consigned 2008 to the dust-bin after the “unacceptable” three-tries-to-nil loss when the underdog Reds outmuscled, outplayed and showed more enthusiasm than the Force.

The wavering westerners, clearly missing injured spearhead Matt Giteau and battle-weary from the rugged 17-12 loss to NSW, now sit seventh and will slip further after next weekend’s bye before a tough run home finishing with the Hurricanes and Brumbies.

“Clearly we have got to address and redirect in some areas and we have to readdress our goals moving forward and I even may have to consider building for next year’s season based on some of the things we are seeing,” Mitchell said.

X-rays cleared winger Haig Sare of a fractured fibula but he is expected to be ruled out for the rest of the season with ankle ligament damage.

Reserve flanker Tamaiti Horua also looks like he has played his last game in a stop-start season and may face surgery after having his left knee scanned on return to Perth tonight.

Horua suffered the injury in just his second involvement in the match.

A rare bright spot for the visitors was the record-breaking debut by O’Connor who became the youngest player in the history of the Super 14 at 17 years, 287 days when he ran on as Horua’s replacement midway through the second half.

O’Connor, now set to be given more time on the field by Mitchell, has been hailed as the next Matt Giteau and gave a glimpse of his talent with just a few touches.

The determined Reds pack laid the platform for the victory which coach Phil Mooney labelled as sweet as their 121-point turnaround win over the Bulls four weeks ago.

It was Queensland’s first Australian derby triumph in two years and only their second in their last nine matches.

Back-rowers David Croft and Leroy Houston, who scored after just 51 seconds, were superb but Croft is in doubt for Saturday’s clash against the red-hot Chiefs in Hamilton.

The warhorse flanker came off late in the game with a shoulder injury and his run of 90 consecutive Super matches appears in jeopardy.

Stand-in skipper James Horwill won a clear points battle over rival captain and lock Sharpe in a major boost to his Wallabies hopes.

Injured captain Sam Cordingley, who first took the reins for the 40-8 upset of the Bulls, should return against the Chiefs but coach Phil Mooney has a dilemma.

“The disappointing thing is we have to consider changing our captain because every time we pick a new one we win,’” Mooney quipped.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    fantastic news. Always thought Hockings was a welcome addition this year, and his consistency and his talent has been a great contribution to the force. a wallaby for the future i say.

And with Dave Pocok and James O'Connor. Rabbit is a 90% chance of staying. he's already got a house and will be sharing with Dane and another guy. So he's a stayer i reckon. And with Davo, i chatted with him before i left and he was pretty set on staying with the force as well. Said the times with the force have been great and wouldnt really want to move anywhere else. He reckons the force can go far. and plus he's got the charity here with Holmesy, so thats another factor thats keeping him here. So its looking good everyone. I say the future looks bright.

vCash
    Great news about Hockings staying

Hope Gotheforce is right about rabbit and Pocock new CEO starts next week will be an interesting bye with the new guy on board and Mitch making sure noone forgets the reds game to fast.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah it is great. I think we can expect a bit more out of the Hockings/Sharpie pairing next year with more time together too. Training up someone new would be a pain especially since Sitaleki has left.

I'd have thought the two guys would have stayed. Ironically I thought if we did well against the Reds they would be more likely to leave but I think its the opposite. They probably realise now that they'll all play second fiddle to someone else which is something they won't necessarily have to do at the Force.

vCash
    Great news about Hockings, including on the injury front. That didn't look pleasant

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    X-rays cleared winger Haig Sare of a fractured fibula but he is expected to be ruled out for the rest of the season with ankle ligament damage.
    Really glad we kept him...he's been useful

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    A rare bright spot for the visitors was the record-breaking debut by O’Connor who became the youngest player in the history of the Super 14 at 17 years, 287 days when he ran on as Horua’s replacement midway through the second half.
    I thought O'Connor was a gem. He got on that field and threw everything into it. He was directing play, tackling guys double his height, and running at everything. What a little pocket rocket and a huge inspiration. Lets hope the rest of the boys can pick up on his feisty spirit and guts

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    hockings is staying! james o'connor had better stay too... he gave 110% on friday. didnt he play flyhalf for a while? when the force looked slightly threatening towards the end, all i saw was james o'connor with the ball... he's the next biggest thing that's gonna happen in rugby for australia... stay with the force!

vCash
    james o'connor played really well
    great news hockings is staying
    and hope pocock stays...probably will cross fingers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    Really glad we kept him...he's been useful
    Is this sarcasm or not?......seriously it could be either!

I thought O'Connor was a gem. He got on that field and threw everything into it. He was directing play, tackling guys double his height, and running at everything. What a little pocket rocket and a huge inspiration. Lets hope the rest of the boys can pick up on his feisty spirit and guts

Hear! Hear!

And I reckon it's GREAT news to hear Tommy's staying, It's always a worrying time when players are slow in announcing their re-signing, but we've not had any nasty surprises yet this year.....That's gotta count for something.....How's the Rocky Elsom deal going, he might be the bit of hardass mongrel we need!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Is this sarcasm or not?......seriously it could be either!
    Well given that he's played about 40 mins since his return i'm going with sarcasm..

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    haig sare needs to learn not to get into fights with his fellow rugby players... henjak too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    haig sare needs to learn not to get into fights with his fellow rugby players... henjak too.
    we got over this ages ago, and please don't bring it up again?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    dont worry about haigy, had his own off field ' issues ' before henjak punched him........on topic though its great that hockings is staying. has gotten better each week, and will dominate next year

Last edited by NTT; 20-04-08 at 19:15.

vCash
    Well given that he's played about 40 mins since his return i'm going with sarcasm..
    Just wanted to check, coz the first two years his on field was well 'ard.

C'mon the

vCash
    No argument from me on that one GIGS