Thread: Sare back for first time since Henjak incident

vCash

Sare back for first time since Henjak incident

Sare back for first time since Henjak incident

10th April 2008, 9:45 WST

Western Force winger Haig Sare has come straight back into the squad for this weekend’s clash against the NSW Waratahs, after completing his suspension for his part in the infamous fight with scrumhalf Matt Henjak.

Sare was banned for eight weeks after the incident with Henjak back in February, which saw his jaw broken and Henjak sacked.

Despite having played no rugby since, and only beginning contact training last week, Sare has been named in the 22, replacing youngster Dane Haylett-Petty from the squad that beat the Bulls.

The other changes see former Waratahs prop Troy Takiari return to tighthead prop with AJ Whalley dropping back to the bench.

Takiari will make his third appearance of the season in the No.3 jersey, while inside back Lachlan MacKay makes his return via the bench after withdrawing from last week’s clash with a groin strain.

Coach John Mitchell said Australian interstate matches always brought added emotion and pressure.

“It’s an exciting phase of the competition for us, with three matches against Australian opponents in our last five games,” said Mitchell.

“Derby matches are the nearest thing to Test matches at Super 14 level. No matter how hard teams prepare and try to be specific and composed, emotions and pressure will always factor in the game.”

Mitchell expects the Waratahs to be full of confidence heading into the Subiaco Oval clash.

“The Waratahs played very good attacking football against the Blues in Sydney last week and they have a good mix of youth and experience,” he said.

FORCE: Cameron Shepherd, Nick Cummins, Ryan Cross, Scott Staniforth, Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau, Chris O’Young, Richard Brown, David Pocock, Scott Fava, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Tom Hockings, Troy Takiari, Tai McIsaac, Pek Cowan. Res: Luke Holmes, AJ Whalley, Sam Wykes, Matt Hodgson, James Stannard, Lachlan MacKay, Haig Sare.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It's not a bad move to bring Haig on, he's experienced, where Nicky and Dane are new to the deal....but really, you'd have to be concerned about his fitness wouldn't you? he's not been training with the team for so long, surely there's some rust there!

C'mon the

vCash
    i would be surprised if he gets more than 10 or 15 mins unless theres an injury

vCash
    Sare your one lucky puppy, i hope you dont let the Force and its supporters down again. And you better keep away from those Tahs forwards swinging arms. Know what i mean?.

Last edited by prop53; 10-04-08 at 19:19.

vCash
    Good Luck Sare - we're rooting for you and everyone else on the Force Team - Show those powdery blues just how it's done

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash

Sare happy to be back at Western Force

Sare happy to be back at Western Force

April 10, 2008 - 3:36PM

Haig Sare came off a lot better - and a lot worse - than Matt Henjak after the infamous right cross in a Fremantle bar which left the Western Force winger with a broken jaw and the scrumhalf with a busted career.

While Sare's injuries from the unseemly punch-up in the Left Bank were much more severe than his teammate, Henjak is still without a club, and seemingly without many takers, after his expulsion from the Force in February.

Slapped with his own eight week ban, Sare spent the time reflecting and recuperating - and was Thursday brought back into the Force fold and onto the bench for this Saturday's all-Australian clash with the NSW Waratahs.

And having seen what happened to the halfback - and realising it could also have been him - Sare says he is grateful at being allowed back, and having the chance to play rugby at all.

"All I can do is look at some positives and learn from this whole thing. If anything it made me realise how grateful I am to play rugby for a living," Sare told AAP.

"When there is an opportunity of that being taken away from you, you really stand back and say 'Well this is a huge honour'.

"I love playing for the Force, and this is what I have always wanted to do from a little boy at eight years of age.

"So the risk of losing that it makes you sit up and say: 'Well I am not going to be in that situation again'."

Force coach John Mitchell wasted no time in bringing Sare back into his reckoning, saying the 25-year-old's experience and versatility had weighed heavily in his favour.

"We are fortunate his timing of coming back is right. I don't discard people because of poor actions, you just hope they learn from it," Mitchell said.

"He has gone through a suspension and during that period he has had to work hard to get himself in the position.

"I don't know if he has learned from it, but he certainly has not buggered up since the last time."

Sare says what he has learned is the frustration of not being able play after a hard pre-season.

"Once I was able to start exercising I tried to put it all behind me and thought my season starts as of next week," Sare said.

"Normally this time of the year when you see the pads come out everyone cringes, but I have been itching to put them on.

"All that work, you need a little bit of contact that is why you play the game - so I am dying to get at it."

And Sare also says the support he has received from Force players - put under so much pressure by his and Henjak's actions - was a welcome surprise.

"When I was going through the tribunal, they were expressing their support from South Africa, and to Matt as well," Sare said

"The boys have been really supportive, and as soon as they got back from Africa I slipped straight back in.

"Everyone seemed happy to see me. We all realised what a terrible situation it was, but everyone was pretty positive.

"That was a nice surprise, I thought there may be some tension, but everyone was supportive so I was grateful for that."

Sare happy to be back at Western Force - Rugby Heaven - Breaking News

vCash
    He certainly is a lucky boy. Lets just hope he makes the most of the opportunity he's been given and kicks some serious Tah butt if given the opportunity

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."