Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tahs to make it tough for Giteau

vCash

NSW defenders aim for Force playmaker Matt Giteau

NSW defenders aim for Force playmaker Matt Giteau
    By Iain Payten

April 07, 2008 12:00am

WARATAHS skipper Phil Waugh will lead a "Get Giteau" mission against the Western Force this weekend after bashing the Blues into submission on Saturday night.

NSW's five-try attacking performance against the Blues was deservedly lauded but it was built on the back of stinging defence from the Waratahs - particularly focused on key Kiwi playmaker Nick Evans.

Waugh and other NSW defenders zeroed in on Evans and effectively shut down the All Black five-eighth; the Tahs skipper at one stage left Evans with a limp after a bone-rattling, borderline late tackle.

With coach Ewen McKenzie yesterday admitting the Force were in many ways a similar side to the Blues, the same sort of attention is certain to be given to star playmaker Matt Giteau when NSW play the Force in Perth on Saturday night.

"I don't think you can give Giteau too much space," McKenzie said.

"That's easily said, but (he's) hard to contain because he has a very good rugby brain and all the athletic skills you need.

"We had plans for certain individuals in the Auckland team and I think we pretty well did what we wanted to do. We will have a plan for the Force."

Though stopping short of singling Giteau out, McKenzie said he had noticed teams "playing hard at the Force" in recent weeks and he no doubt clocked the brutal treatment dished out to Giteau by the Stormers two weeks ago.

The big South African side rag-dolled the 85kg Giteau around in contact situations and won at Subiaco Oval.

"Obviously Giteau's probably the finest exponent in the game of making something out of nothing but you've got to be watching everyone," McKenzie said.

"You can't focus on one or two players. You've got to watch the whole lot. But there's opportunities to get some pressure on them as well."

The Waratahs piled on the defensive pressure against a strong Blues side with success. Explosive one-on-one shots and intensity in tight from Waugh, Dean Mumm and Daniel Vickerman - and rookie centre Robert Horne - forced the third-placed Blues into mistakes and gave NSW plenty of possession.

Halfback Luke Burgess's crisp service and direction then helped the Tahs' attack click for their first bonus-point win of the year.

"When we slowed their ball down with good tackles, they were a lot easier to stop, so defence probably won us the game when you look at it," man-of-the-match Waugh said.

The win left NSW in sixth place, one point out of the top four. The Force are a point ahead in fifth.

Horne, 18, is in line to play his first starting match against the Force, with Ben Jacobs in severe doubt with an injured knee. The little-known rookie lit up the SFS by thumping several Blues players.

"We'll definitely consider (starting him)," McKenzie said. "We've got him in our 22 so we're obviously rating him. If you can go on the big stage and front up against All Blacks and do OK, that's a plus."

McKenzie may alternatively opt for the experience of Lote Tuqiri to mark Wallaby No. 13 favourite Ryan Cross.

"He's been influential the whole (season), far more dominant in his running, more straight line," McKenzie said. "There's a harder edge to his game this year. It's paid off for them."

Jacobs underwent a scan yesterday and may miss the rest of the season but Wycliff Palu (knee) and Tatafu Polota-Nau (shoulder) will travel to Perth.

Though dismissive of the coaching drama's influence in the win, McKenzie agreed his side would take confidence in finally showing they can not just make the finals but compete in them as well.

"There's no question. I've always said that winning fixes most things, so winning is important," he said. "But I think the quality of the performance - I know there's been talk about entertainment or winning, but I think quality is a key word for us."

Cross and Scott Staniforth both suffered head knocks against the Bulls but will play. Haig Sare's suspension for the Matt Henjak fight is over but the winger is not expected to make the side.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Isn't this the same game plan every other team has used against us this year??

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Pity the team that focuses on an individual - wouldn't you think that focusing on Gits has been done that many times that it has been proven to be a rather backward approach? Let's face it - if either Mackay or Stanners plays at inside centre, then the Tah's will face some serious issues - yeah - focus on Gits and leave a nice gap for Stanners to bust through or allow Mackay to put Cross through. Sorry Ewen - it's probably why you aren't coming back next year

vCash
    I noticed that Beale still goes to Fullback in defense. Maybe a nice bunch of high balls with 2 or 3 Force players chasing through, either to contest the ball or to hammer him once his feet hit the ground???

vCash
    Thats what i thought Flame

nothing out of the ordinary I would have thought.

vCash
    The win left NSW in sixth place, one point out of the top four. Force are a point ahead in fifth.
    Wouldn't that be at least 2 points outside the top 4 then

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    You would think so, Chiefs (4th) are on 23 as are the Force (5th), so the Tahs are 6th on 22. So 2 points outside in their own right. I'm not sure what their points diffential is

vCash
    Ohhh good.

Cause I thought I might have been going to wrong games the last couple of weeks and the Tahs had come up with something new

Posted via space

vCash
    This is the best news I've heard ALL YEAR, with 'Tahs defense focussing on Gits, he'll be putting guys thru yawning gaps all night. The problem I've had with Matt the last couple of games has been that he's not taking the line on, and they're hanging back waiting for him to pass the ball.....If they'r running at him, he doesn't need to take them on, he'll beat them standing still.

Oh and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put Lote up against Ryan....I need to see him make some metres against a dodgy defender who's looking for the big hit rather than playing smart! Haig mightn't be a bad option on the wing outside that little fracas, but I won't complain if Nicky gets another run there! If I was Mitch, I'd be naming exactly the same side, 'Tahs don't have the set piece that the Bulls have and our back row will EAT THEM UP!

My hair's safe as houses!

C'mon the

vCash
    hehe i rushed to this thread to make the very same comments the previous three guys have just made.. beaten to the bell!

my thought on the matter is that we have two/three very hard running centres that will easily take advantage of the defensive gap between fly half & centre if they focuss too much on gits all Gits needs to do is use quick hands or even get Chrisso to skip pass.
    The key though is for our boys up fornt to dominate!! this is the one game that Wykes/Brown/ Takkiari /Hockings etc will need to Step up another couple of levels! to make sure we embarrass the powder blues!

vCash
    Zim, I note with interest that you don't name anybody in our starting front row in your group of players who need to step up! I feel exactly the same way. I'm sure we've got the front row covered well, our reserve front rowers match their reserves easily. As for the lineout, we've got it covered, We only lost one against the Bulls, and they're still the best lineout team in the comp. Back row, we've got the package as well, Cliff palu is much bigger than browny, but he's lazy and not very mobile.

Our forwards have this game sewn up on paper, the only issue is whether they have the game won between the ears!

C'mon the

vCash
    I think the main worry this week is getting pissed before the game and watching the game through glazed beer-eyes. I'm sure the boys will do a "Dockers" and demonstrate to their over-rated opponents that the game of Rugby, at the end of the day, is all about substance and not hype.

vCash
    I thought the only hype from the tahs this year was about the coaching job??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I thought the only hype from the tahs this year was about the coaching job??
    You forgot TAHMAN!!!!

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    I think the main worry this week is getting pissed before the game and watching the game through glazed beer-eyes.
    I hear you on this one...gotta stay sober enough to watch properly then can celebrate a big win in style...

coz Stone Cold says so

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast