Thread: Yet more twists and turns

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Yet more twists and turns

Coaching job hangs on board challenge

AN attempt to overthrow the chairman of the Waratahs may have important ramifications for the team's next coach.

There is speculation NSWRU board member Allan Williamson will challenge chairman Arvid Petersen at a board meeting in Sydney on Monday.

It is understood if Williamson is successful, it could determine whether Waratahs assistant coach Todd Louden replaces Ewen McKenzie, whose contract will not be renewed at the end of the season.

There is believed to be a groundswell of disenchantment among some board members and senior players about the way the coaching issue has been handled by Petersen and Waratahs chief executive Jim L'Estrange.

A well informed source told The Australian that any commitment to Louden could be overturned by a new leadership team at the Waratahs.

L'Estrange has denied the rumour that the Waratahs have already offered the head coaching position to Louden to prevent him from accepting an overseas job.

But speculation was rife yesterday, with some sources saying Louden was no chance of getting the job because he didn't show enough support for McKenzie, while others said he was still the administration's No1 choice and there was no viable alternative.

One senior Waratahs player even questioned whether Louden was interested in the top job because of the media frenzy over McKenzie's axing.

There has also been speculation Louden would be interested in the Brumbies job if Laurie Fisher were not re-appointed.

Former Randwick coach Michael Cheika was approached by the Waratahs recently, but he has re-signed with Irish province Leinster for two years.

The only other genuine contender to surface is former Waratahs assistant coach Andy Friend, who is coaching English club Harlequins.

Blues coach David Nucifora is poised to accept the ARU high performance manager's job and has distanced himself from the Waratahs. Despite his track record, which includes a Super rugby title with the Brumbies, the Waratahs never considered Nucifora.

Sources contacted last night said there were a number of senior players ready to quit the Waratahs at the end of the season unless there was change at the top.

"The senior players within the present player roster have had enough," one source said.

A loose collection of powerful rugby figures have approached Williamson to stand against Petersen. Williamson, who has been variously described as a maverick and is seen in some circles as an aggressive character, chairs the influential premiership sub-committee representing the 12 major clubs in the Sydney competition.

"I have been approached to consider standing," Williamson said last night. "But I want to stress I've not lobbied for the job, nor have I orchestrated any push to get rid of the current chairman. I'm also not denying the fact some key people, whom I have the utmost respect for, have sounded me out to stand against him.

"The current chairman still enjoys my wholehearted support, but the people I met put forward a very compelling case for change and urged me to consider my position.

"I'm a little reluctant because I'm thoroughly enjoying my present role on the board."

Waratahs captain Phil Waugh said yesterday he was surprised at how political the coaching position had become.

"At the moment all the speculation about Ewen going and who's going to be the next coach is taking up all of our space in the media," Waugh said. "We're all a bit sick of the speculation around the place. It's surprising how political it has become because it is coming from all angles at the moment."

Meanwhile, halfback Luke Burgess has been promoted to the starting line-up for the match against the Blues in Sydney tonight with Brett Sheehan relegated to the bench.

Wallabies number eight David Lyons will make his first appearance off the bench after recovering from a leg injury sustained during the World Cup.

Coaching job hangs on board challenge | The Australian

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Tahs in state of turmoil as 'stink' rises
    Greg Growden | April 4, 2008 Tahs in state of turmoil as 'stink' rises - rugbyheaven.com.au

THE Waratahs yesterday attempted to keep their minds on tomorrow night's match against the Auckland Blues amid claims the Super 14 team resembled the fractured NSW Rugby Union board.

The NSWRU's decision not to renew coach Ewen McKenzie's contract beyond this season has created division among NSWRU board members, exposed rifts between the Waratahs and head office, and also revealed that team harmony had been eroded.

The turmoil within the NSWRU administrative ranks has been prompted by several board members being upset they were not formally advised before the Waratahs announced on Tuesday the termination of McKenzie's contract.

The Herald has been told this division among the directors will lead to a tense NSWRU board meeting on Monday afternoon, which according to one high-ranking official, may degenerate into the "stink of the century".

Several Waratahs insiders told the Herald last night that in recent weeks the morale within the NSW team has been at "an all-time low", and that several people involved in the organisation were "seriously thinking of walking".

It is understood there has been concerns for some time that a small group of players have struggled to bond together, which was affecting performance. Privately there has also been expressed concerns about the attitude of some players, who appear more attuned to individual performance than the team base. Recent comments from NSWRU officials, questioning the team's style, has also upset leading players. It even prompted a senior Waratah to last week email NSWRU directors, calling on them to stop being publicly critical of the team's performance.

The player's email said these comments were clearly affecting the side. He asked that any future issues be dealt with "out of the public eye". He argued that the organisation had to be "tighter" and "solve any issues in-house rather than through the press".

The player wrote that certain newspaper reports may not be thought to have any effect on players, "but in the long run it all just points to uncertainty, which does create tension".

"We as an organisation need to be tighter and solve any issues in-house rather than through the press," the player wrote.

The NSWRU's decision not to announce - for at least a month - McKenzie's replacement, has also prompted doubts within the player group, including some who are now seriously considering their options.

There remains concerns within the coaching and management staff, with strong suggestions the composition of the 2009 staff will be vastly different to what is expected to remain for the second half of this season. And what is irritating many at NSW is that this friction comes at a time when the Waratahs are still a possibility of making the Super 14 finals.

Waratahs captain Phil Waugh yesterday admitted the off-field dramas had been a distraction.

"There's obviously been a lot of things floating around the place and it's taking up all the media space," Waugh said. "Obviously it's a distraction. You would be naive to think it's not. But at the same time you can draw motivation from it. Who knows? It could be a good thing. Could be a bad thing. The performance on Saturday night will tell where we're at."

Waugh argued that the team morale remained buoyant.

"In terms of blokes walking around with their heads down and being depressed, it's certainly not that. I think the guys are in a pretty good space at the moment," Waugh said.

When asked if it would be wise for the NSWRU to quickly name a replacement for McKenzie, Waugh replied: "The sooner the better, and we can move to actually playing good rugby."

"The rugby doesn't seem to be getting any coverage. At the moment all the speculation about Ewen going and who's going to be the next coach is taking up all our space in the media. So it would be nice to put it to bed, and we can move on. We're all sick of the speculation going on. It's surprising how political it has all become, because it is coming from all angles at the moment."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!