Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is James O’Connor the new Tim Horan?

vCash

Is James O’Connor the new Tim Horan?

From the Roar web site by Spiro Zavos Is James O The Roar - Your Sports Opinion

I was watching the Fox Sports presentation of the recent Hong Kong Sevens and a blond-haired, young Australian player caught my eye, and the eye of the commentators.

He was chunky, dynamic, had a great step, ran hard and straight when forcing gaps, passed nicely and was generally abrasive and positive in his play.

He reminded me of the time I went out to Concord Oval with the great rugby columnist Evan Whitton to watch the Australian Schoolboys play the Irish Schoolboys.

A blond-haired inside centre took an inside cut, straightened and then shot, as if jet-propelled, in a dazzling 70m run to the Irish tryline.

We looked at each other the way explorers do when they discover something remarkable. The name on the program of the flashing star was Tim Horan.

At Hong Kong, the flashing new star was named by the commentators as James O’Connor, 18, recruited from school by the Western Force.

Judging by his Hong Kong Sevens form, it must only be a matter of time, late this year perhaps, or next season, for O’Connor to front up in the Force’s backline.

If the promise evolves into performance in the 15-man game, there is a delicious prospect ahead of Force supporters, and Wallaby fans, in due course, of a Giteau-Connor five-eighths combination.

The other point of interest at Hong Kong, and at the IRB Adelaide Sevens, is the wonderful way the New Zealand Sevens side plays and wins its matches.

This outstanding side, surely one of the great teams in world sport right now, has won the last seven IRB Sevens tournaments.

There is only one player in the squad who may be a future star in the 15-man game - Victor Vito, a big (112kg and 194cm), fast and skillful winger in Sevens and flanker in the 15-man game.

In the crucial semi-final against Fiji, Vito chased and caught the first four kick-offs. This enabled New Zealand to annihilate Fiji.

Gordon Tietjens coaches the NZ Sevens side, and he must be in the running for rugby’s coach of the year.

Every tournament the New Zealand side brings a new tactic or play, all of them perfectly executed. At Hong Kong, for instance, it was chasing and catching the kick-offs.

What will the new tactic be at Adelaide? Will the stars like O’Connor and Vito shine? And will NZ make it eight tournament wins in a row?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I watched the replay of the Hong Kong Sevens yesterday just to watch James O'Connor in action. And i was definitely treated to watching a potential star in the making. I think O'Connor looks more like Giteau than Horan with his elusive running. On the first touch of the all in the quarter final against South Africa, he stepped his opposite number and ran a good 20m before being taken down. He's got heaps of confidence in himself and backs himself up to run the ball more. it's quite evident from the plays that of the 7 Aussie guys on the field, he was the one who had the most potential to be good in the sevens game. Mind you, he also scored the first try against South Africa in the QF, stepping 2 guys before charging his way through to dot down.

I really really look forward to seeing him play for the force. He looks like a great catch and we need to retain him. I would imagine he would have made his debut for the force today if he wasnt at Adelaide for the Sevens.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Only trouble with James O'Connor playing today for the Force is that he is only 17. And rules prevent him from playing until he is 18. Same as we had troubles with Bambam.

vCash
    And yet he can play for his country?? (albeit world 7's)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tuesday, 21 March 2006 12:50pm
    ARU
    It is now possible for David Pocock, 17, to play senior rugbyThe Australian Rugby Union has amended its Senior Rugby and Two-Year Window policies to ensure a player's safety is fully considered by a coach, parent and competition manager before an Under 18 player is allowed to play Rugby more than two years above their age group or at senior Rugby level.

The amendment was ratified by the ARU Board after close consultation with the State Unions and Rugby clubs around Australia over the last six months.

The Senior Rugby and Two-Year Window policies, which mirror the IRB's guidelines, have been made non-mandatory. However a disclosure form has been introduced that requires a player's physical development, skill level and experience, as well as the playing environment and the standard of the opposition, to be assessed before a player is allowed to step up.

The change recognises that in certain instances player safety is not always maximised by a mandatory policy.

For example, a heavy, large-framed and experienced 16 year-old might be fully capable of playing in the Under 18s, whereas he might be likely to cause injury to smaller, lighter players in his own age group.

It also recognises that coaches, parents and players themselves are usually best qualified to assess a player's physical development, skill level, experience, playing environment and the standard of opposition.

"We have listened to clubs and recognise that to maximise player safety, the policy requires flexibility," ARU CEO and Managing Director Gary Flowers said.

"We still recognise the IRB Guideline as best practice, but we also need to help clubs provide the safest playing environment for their players which is why we have implemented a disclosure form.

"We found that more flexibility was required so we have come up with a common sense solution that maximises player safety which is of paramount importance."

Flowers said the decision to amend the policy was not based on the needs of any Super 14 team.

"While the issue of David Pocock playing a trial match for the Force as a 17-year-old attracted a lot of attention in the Super 14 pre-season, it was not the catalyst for a change to the policy.

"We have been talking to clubs, parents and coaches at the grassroots level for the past six months before reviewing this policy and implementing the disclosure system."

Looks like maybe he can now.....with the right conditions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Only trouble with James O'Connor playing today for the Force is that he is only 17. And rules prevent him from playing until he is 18. Same as we had troubles with Bambam.
    pretty sure the ARU changed that rule to allow younger players to play

Edit: nevermind just read that the last post.

vCash
    Next year we'll have him - this year I think we can do without.

Ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! We won.Ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! We won.Ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! We won.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    apparently hes in the 7s squad not only for his obvious potential but the aru is trying to get him qualified to represent australia only as hes eligible for aus nz sa and ireland.....also the force only signed him for 1 year and every man and his dog is chasing him

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    apparently hes in the 7s squad not only for his obvious potential but the aru is trying to get him qualified to represent australia only as hes eligible for aus nz sa and ireland.....also the force only signed him for 1 year and every man and his dog is chasing him
    I wouldn't worry about anyone else but say Queensland. I'd have thought if the boy was normal he'd want to represent the country he was born to which conveniently is the country he's living in so no massive change of life and the country which possibly Ireland aside would pay the best. I figure we'll give him some game time at some point maybe and hopefully use it as way to say look here you'll get game time and you get to learn the tricks of the trade from Giteau.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I wouldn't worry about anyone else but say Queensland. I'd have thought if the boy was normal he'd want to represent the country he was born to which conveniently is the country he's living in so no massive change of life and the country which possibly Ireland aside would pay the best. I figure we'll give him some game time at some point maybe and hopefully use it as way to say look here you'll get game time and you get to learn the tricks of the trade from Giteau.
    if he plays 5 7s tournaments (i think) then he cant represent other countries was my point....qld are chasing him yes but so are nsw, brumbies, broncos and most other nrl clubs....i hope he stays, learns from giteau and turns out to be every bit as good as horan but he is in high demand

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    so why was he put on a one year contract only,when its obvious that he wouldnt play super 14 this year
    develop his skills here & let someother franchise to cash in?

vCash
    so the force could nab him before others did, im guessing

Last edited by force addict; 06-04-08 at 17:59. Reason: forgot to write something
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Rookie
    vCash
    so why the one year contact for a 17 yo unlikely to play, why not at least 3 years or why bother?

vCash
    mightve been parental/manager pressure, the force wouldve signed him to a longer deal if possible i would have thought

Rookie
    vCash
    where do his parents live?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast