Thread: Horua, Mackay out, Haylett-Petty In

vCash

Horua, Mackay out, Haylett-Petty In

The Emirates Western Force has been dealt a double-blow, losing two players to injury ahead of Friday night’s Investec Super 14 Week 8 clash with the Bulls at Subiaco Oval.

Inside centre Lachlan MacKay and reserve back rower Tamaiti Horua withdrew from the team’s lineup with minor injury complaints.

MacKay was listed in the number 12 jersey at yesterday’s team announcement, but was forced out this morning with a niggling groin strain.

Flanker Horua became a second casualty when he failed a test on his injured rib cartilage at today’s ‘Captain’s Run’ session at Subiaco Oval.

Coach John Mitchell said he was not prepared to carry a player at less than full fitness against the reigning Super 14 champions.

“Lachlan has got a bit of a (groin) strain and is at about 85 per cent, so we’ve decided not to take a risk with him,” said Mitchell.

“We can’t afford to carry someone who’s not at 100 per cent fitness, so both Lachlan and Tamaiti have been pulled out of the team for tomorrow night,” he said.

World Cup Wallaby Scott Staniforth will take the place of MacKay at inside centre, while Staniforth’s right wing position has been awarded to rookie flyer Nick Cummins.

Matt Hodgson joins the reserves bench in place of Horua, while the new man on the bench is 19-year-old local product Dane Haylett-Petty.

The Durban-born fullback-cum-winger moved to Perth in 2000 and attended Hale School, where he represented WA Under 16s and captained both WA Schoolboys and the Combined States School team.

Haylett-Petty becomes only the second local product to win a place in the Club’s selected match 22, joining inaugural Emirates Western Force and Wallabies lock John Welborn who played 10 matches for the Perth-based team in 2006.

Overall head to head: Played 2, EWF 1, Bulls 1.

Last met: 16 February 2007, EWF 30 def Bulls 27, Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria, SA.

Emirates Western Force v Bulls

Friday 4 April, 2008

Subiaco Oval, Perth

Kick off: 7.45pm (10.45pm AEDT)

1. Pek Cowan

2. Tai McIsaac

3. AJ Whalley

4. Tom Hockings

5. Nathan Sharpe (c)

6. Scott Fava

7. David Pocock

8. Richard Brown

9. Chris O’Young

10. Matt Giteau (vc)

11. Drew Mitchell

12. Scott Staniforth

13. Ryan Cross

14. Nick Cummins

15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves

16. Luke Holmes

17. Troy Takiari

18. Sam Wykes

19. Matt Hodgson

20. James Stannard

21. Josh Tatupu

22. Dane Haylett-Petty

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    does that mean Stannard is back up for both half back & ist 5?

vCash
    ist 5?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I come from the old school

ist 5/8th= # 10

vCash
    i see. i'm not sure what chucky's gonna do

vCash
    (repeating what I posted in a previous thread)

We'll be pretty much looking up shit creek if anything happens to Gits. A quick look at the bench and we've got no other fly/playmaker. I'm sure I read somewhere that Chucky is a flyhalf-wannabe but with the little S14 exposure he's had (not even at 10), it will be a big ask. Not sure who else can fill in that spot..the little I've seen of Josh pretty much tells me he is your typical centre so not sure he can fill in. Oh dear..

vCash
    Well Mark Ella did say Cummins was the most promising player since Giteau, and we know Giteaus versatility, why not throw Cummings in there, or Sheps for that matter, Sheps has lost alot of pace, the fly half could perhaps be good for him, he does have an alright boot, has a good step, all he needs to work on is distribution.

vCash
    cummins is going to be the next best thing for australia

vCash
    Yeah, its getting a bit worrying if Gits does get injured...touch wood. I think the Bulls would try to adopt a similar approach to the Stormers and try to target Giteau a bit more. I know Stannard did play at Flyhalf for Pally in the 1st grade, but like what was mentioned, he has no super 14 experience at that position. Sheps might be a possibility at that position. I also thought Dane Haylett-Petty might be a consideration. I know he played fullback for Hale for one, so who knows, he might be another quade cooper/kurtley beale at that position. He is an exciting kid that one. If only we had James O'Connor back. He had a great debut at the Hong Kong Sevens. Managed to catch the replay today.

I cannot wait for tmr night's game. C'arn the Force!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Thank god Gits is one of those lucky sportsmen who seems to recover from getting hammered, targeted week in week out and always seems to bounce back. He is a hard nut.Quality always shines through thou.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    i think Stanners at 12 is the best spot for him.!! im really excited to see his hard running- alongside gits & Crossy thats our best defensive lineup all year! now we just need the spark out wide and cummins slots in nicely! only danger point will be in the channel between wing & full back and i can gaurantee it will be targetted with high bombs just as it was last week.

i have a good feeling about this game & i must admit i didnt have the same feeling last week (coming from an ex-stormers supporter)