Thread: NZ Rugby Forum signals changes

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

NZ Rugby Forum signals changes

01/04/2008
    allblacks.com

NZRU
    The changing landscape of rugby, sport and society will require changes to the rugby landscape which will be explored in the coming months following last week's national rugby forum.

The Provincial Union and Franchise Rugby Forum ended with a unanimous agreement that change is necessary and development of an action plan across a range of areas which were the focus of discussion and intensive workshops during the Forum.

“There was a clear mandate over the two days that we need to change if we are to respond to the changing landscape both in New Zealand and globally, and if we are to meet the needs and expectations of rugby supporters, players, and officials at all levels,” said New Zealand Rugby Union CEO Steve Tew.

“We also recognised that we have a lot of positives in our game that we can build on. We now have a clear direction in some of the areas we need to commence work on including some immediate priorities,” he said.

Four areas of work were identified. They were:

• Refreshing and revising a vision for the game which encompasses all rugby and rugby organisations nationwide, with the aim of having this accepted and adopted by all Unions by the middle of 2008;
    • Competitions including a timetable for a review of the Air New Zealand Cup in 2008 to be completed by August 2008, and preliminary work on the next generation of SANZAR competitions and Rebel Sport Super 14;
    • A major review of the structure and governance of rugby across the country; and
    • The development of principles for working together and communicating across rugby in New Zealand;

“Many of these issues are inter-linked so we will need to keep updating the work as things move and change.”

The work streams will be implemented with involvement and input from a cross-section of Provincial Union and Franchise representatives.

All 26 Provincial Unions and five Franchises were represented at the Forum along with the New Zealand Rugby Players’ Association and a number of invited guests including player representatives Jono Gibbes and David Gibson, former All Blacks coach John Hart and former Black Ferns captain and New Zealand Maori Rugby Board member Farah Palmer.

The Forum was led by an independent facilitator.

Post-Forum comments included:

East Coast Rugby Union CEO Neil Alton: “It was very positive. I came away with a better insight into some of the challenges and a clearer way ahead. There’s a lot of work to be done but everyone has agreed to move forward in a positive approach.”

Chiefs franchise chairman Graeme Elvin: “I came with some trepidation around any expectations of change, particularly during the first day. It was good to have a positive outcome from the second day. We recognised that while there are differences, everyone is positive about the game, and we can work from that. It was superb really.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    01/04/2008
    • Competitions including a timetable for a review of the Air New Zealand Cup in 2008 to be completed by August 2008, and preliminary work on the next generation of SANZAR competitions and Rebel Sport Super 14;
    Looks like J'ON's suggestion that the remaining 2 SANZAR partners are coming/will come round to the idea of an expanded S14 has some substance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Looks like J'ON's suggestion that the remaining 2 SANZAR partners are coming/will come round to the idea of an expanded S14 has some substance.
    Not neccessarily, it's not said what thier own idea for the S14 is....

vCash
    No, not necessarily but I'm betting on it. Ofcourse there will be discussions, negotiations, compromises etc to go through but it opens the door to these, ie, they are not radically opposed to reviewing the S14.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Big word in NZ was that the Highlanders are in real trouble if they don't get something out of this season. Not sure what they can get now though...

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Big word in NZ was that the Highlanders are in real trouble if they don't get something out of this season. Not sure what they can get now though...
    They've been it trouble for a long time now, they can't retain any of thier exciting players plus the crowds aren't outstanding...preferring to watch it on Sky then head on down, besides the scarfies of course....

I think the only way they can survive is to be propped up by the NZRU, the days of Otago greatness is well and truely over.

vCash
    Whatever happens will revolve around sustainability. The NZRU is no more able to prop up loss making ventures than the ARU. I don't know if the ANZC is self funding or not. Nor do I know if it generates significant TV revenue. Either way pay TV operators will have a big say on what is a goer and what is not. Jo'N may be, yet again, on the money. Or very close.

vCash
    I agree NZ rugby needs to find a way to integrate itself behind the Super 14 better, It's really the best place for the big money to come from, Like it or not!

Linking the ANZC/NPC teams more closely with their S14 franchise would be the first step. This is not going to be an easy task considering some of the intense inter-club rivalries that exist over there, getting two teams with so much history to become all chummy around the S14 team always has been difficult, generally ending up with a single centre becoming the powerhouse of a province and the others taking athe background and resenting it. I don't have the solution, but I do know it's important for the game! as important as it is here!

C'mon the