Thread: Cowan's Japan curveball fools many

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Cowan's Japan curveball fools many

Cowan's Japan curveball fools many
    By NATHAN BURDON - The Southland Times | Wednesday, 02 April 2008
    Cowan's Japan curveball fools many - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

An April Fool's joke involving Stags and Highlanders rugby halfback Jimmy Cowan caused a mini-furore in the south yesterday as rumours of his impending departure to Japan flew faster than the former All Black's bullet pass.

Cowan, who will play his 50th game for the Highlanders against the Lions on Friday night at Carisbrook, told Hokonui Gold's morning radio show he had signed with a Japanese club and would be making an announcement at midday.

The incident grew legs when it was picked up by NewstalkZB and reported as a news item during the morning, prompting several calls to The Southland Times.

Radio Network southern region general manager Lee Piper said a lot of people had been caught out.

"I did it in 1999 with Donna Loffhagen, saying she was off on the midday flight to the States to play basketball. I nearly got lynched.

"We always try to do something but this was a good one. It's obviously fooled a few."

Cowan, who reportedly turned down big-money offers from French clubs last year, has signed with the New Zealand Rugby Union and Southland until 2010. While he does have out-clauses in his contract, he was not in negotiations with any overseas clubs, his manager Tom Downey confirmed yesterday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Jimmy is quiet a character. After the win in Queenstown we were celebrating with the Force players and a few of the Highlanders including Jimmy. There was only one toilet in this place for everyone to share witha lockable door. When Sav felt the call of nature he headed off to find the door wide open and Jimmy sitting on the throne, a brief chat ensued and then Sav came and got Bert from me, passed him into Jimmy and he signed it while on the throne.....thanks Jimmy, I hope you washed ya hands!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash

mmmm i love April Fool's Day ...i have family down there, so i can imagine the widespread panic when this was announced