Thread: Edmonds out but Mortlock, Ashley-Cooper return for CA Brumbies

vCash

Thumbs up Edmonds out but Mortlock, Ashley-Cooper return for CA Brumbies

Mortlock, who underwent shoulder surgery following the Rugby World Cup, returns to his customary outside centre position for his 100th Super Rugby cap.

Ashley-Cooper makes his first appearance since sustaining a syndesmosis injury in his right ankle in the CA Brumbies’ Week One match against the Crusaders.

The explosive utility back will replace Mark Gerrard at fullback after the goal-kicking flyer was ruled out due to a hamstring strain suffered against the Chiefs a fortnight ago.

CA Brumbies Head Coach Laurie Fisher says he’s pleased to welcome the experience of Mortlock and Ashley-Cooper back into the backline.

“It’s pleasing to have these players returning from injury and it’s no secret that you’d rather have your Wallabies on the field than on the sideline,” he said. “Both Stirling and Coopy are strong ball runners, they are very direct with the football and they’ll give us a few more attacking options.”

Scrumhalf Patrick Phibbs replaces Joshua Holmes in the only other change to the starting backline.

The CA Brumbies forward pack has received a reshuffle with Alister Campbell and Guy Shepherdson promoted to the run-on side after making their comebacks from injury off the bench against the Cheetahs.

Shepherdson and No.8 Stephen Hoiles will play their 50th Super Rugby match on Friday night.

Hooker John Ulugia receives his first run-on start for 2008 after Huia Edmonds was ruled out for the remainder of the season after fracturing his forearm during training on Monday.

CA Brumbies v Chiefs
    Canberra Stadium, Canberra
    Friday, 4 April 2008

1. Nic Henderson
    2. John Ulugia
    3. Guy Shepherdson
    4. Alister Campbell
    5. Mark Chisholm
    6. Mitchell Chapman
    7. George Smith
    8. Stephen Hoiles
    9. Patrick Phibbs
    10. Christian Lealiifano
    11. Francis Fainifo
    12. Tyrone Smith
    13. Stirling Mortlock (c)
    14. Peter Playford
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

Reserves

16. Saia Faingaa
    17. Salesi Ma’afu
    18. Peter Kimlin
    19. Julian Salvi
    20. Joshua Holmes
    21. Matt Toomua
    22. Sanualio Afeaki

Brumbies re-sign playmaking pair

The CA Brumbies have reinforced their playmaking options until 2010 by re-signing talented flyhalves Christian Lealiifano and Matt Toomua for another two years.

The young pivots, who have been on rookie contracts through 2008, have both made their Investec Super 14 debuts this season.

Lealiifano, a former Australian Schoolboys, Australian Under 19’s and Under 21’s representative, has worn the ‘10’ jersey for each CA Brumbies fixture this season following strong pre-season trial form and several standout performances during the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship in 2007.

The 20 year old, who joined the senior squad from the Brumbies Academy, says he’s looking forward to continuing his rugby development with the CA Brumbies.

“I’ve loved being part of the Brumbies program,” he said. “It’s been great for my rugby to be able to train alongside players like [Stephen] Larkham, [Stirling] Mortlock and George Smith and each week I’ve picked up new things and my game’s continued to grow.

“I’ve really enjoyed my opportunity to play Super 14 this year and I’m keen to continue building on that.”

Toomua also graduates from his rookie status after becoming the second player – behind Julian Salvi – to be contracted by the CA Brumbies directly from school.

The 18-year-old was a member of the 2007 Australian Schoolboys squad that defeated the New Zealand Schools side, 23-17, for the first time since 1997.

Toomua, who made his Investec Super 14 debut against the Hurricanes at Canberra Stadium last month, says he’s pleased to remain with the CA Brumbies.

“I’ve learned a lot in the short time I’ve been with the Brumbies and I’ve got no doubt that Canberra is the best place for me to play my football,” he said.

“I probably made my Super 14 debut a bit earlier than I would have originally expected but the senior guys in the side have been fantastic in making me feel very comfortable as part of the program and with the playing structures we have in place.”

CA Brumbies Head Coach Laurie Fisher says Lealiifano and Toomua will provide depth in a key position.

“Christian has risen to the challenge of playing Super 14 rugby this year, he’s benefited from each match and he’s a player who’s committed to taking his game forward with the Brumbies,” he said.

“While Matt has only had limited playing opportunities so far, for an 18 year old he has a very mature approach to his football and is a player capable of playing regular Super 14 rugby.

“Both Christian and Matt are very composed, young footballers but they still have a lot of development left in them and we’re pleased that they will continue that development with the Brumbies.”

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says he’s pleased to have two of Australian rugby’s promising stars commit to the CA Brumbies.

“Christian and Matt are two exciting prospects for Australian rugby and we’re delighted that they will remain with the CA Brumbies beyond 2008,” he said.

“We’ve always prided ourselves in attracting and developing the best young rugby talent in the country and we’re pleased these players are keen to remain with the CA Brumbies.

“Christian’s been excellent for us in stepping up to a pivotal role within the side this season and Matt’s already shown in his few opportunities that he’s a player capable of performing on the big stage.

“We’re very pleased to have both of these players commit to the CA Brumbies for another two years and it augurs well for the future of the squad.”

Christian Lealiifano

Position: Flyhalf

Physical: 1.79m/92kg
    Born: 24.09.87, Auckland, NZ
    Club: Tuggeranong
    Super 14 Caps: 6
    Super 14 Points: -
    Super 14 Debut: 2008 v Crusaders, Christchurch

Matt Toomua

Position: Flyhalf

Physical: 1.82m/89kg
    Born: 02.01.90, Melbourne
    Club: Royals
    Super 14 Caps: 2
    Super 14 Points: -
    Super 14 Debut: 2008 v Hurricanes, Canberra

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash

Chiefs Unchanged Starting Line-Up for Canberra Challenge

An unchanged Chiefs starting line-up from that which beat the Highlanders last week will run out this Friday night at Canberra Stadium when the Chiefs take on the Brumbies in round eight of the Rebel Sport Super 14.

In fact the only change to the Chiefs starting 22 is the return of Chiefs halfback Jamie Nutbrown to the reserves bench this week. Nutbrown suffered a serious medial ligament injury in round one against the Blues but has now completed a successful rehabilitation programme and is fit to rejoin the Chiefs team.

Chiefs prop Simms Davison is set to play his 50th Chiefs game on Friday night. He becomes the 14th player in the franchise's history to reach this milestone.

The Chiefs team to play the Brumbies on Friday 5 April at 9.40pm (NZ time) at Canberra Stadium in Australia is:
    1. Simms Davison
    2. Tom Willis
    3. Ben Castle
    4. Toby Lynn
    5. Kevin O'Neill
    6. Liam Messam
    7. Tanerau Latimer
    8. Sione Lauaki
    9. Brendon Leonard
    10. Stephen Donald
    11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
    12. Callum Bruce
    13. Richard Kahui
    14. Lelia Masaga
    15. Mils Muliaina (captain)
    Reserves:
    16. Aled de Malmanche
    17. Ben May
    18. Jay Williams
    19. Faifili Levave
    20. Jamie Nutbrown
    21. Dwayne Sweeney
    22. Viliame Waqaseduadua

Note: Players not considered due to injury include: Sosene Anesi (ankle) and Jono Gibbes (hamstring).
    The Chiefs team flies to Canberra today.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Good for us - suspect that the Chiefs going down to the Brumbies will do us more favours on the table than the other way around

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Still good to see Mortlock back though

vCash
    I'll be watching him with much interest this weekend, Keen to try and get the early mail on Ryan's chances of getting off the Wallaby bench for an extended session!

C'mon the