Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New Force contract for star fullback Cameron Shepherd

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

New Force contract for star fullback Cameron Shepherd

Rugby writer Nick Taylor

March 29, 2008 06:00pm

EXCLUSIVE by Nick Taylor: STAR Force fullback Cameron Shepherd will sign a new contract likely to tie him to the Super 14 club until the next World Cup.

The decision comes hot on the heels of the World Cup Wallaby agreeing on a three-year term with the Australian Rugby Union.

The popular PerthNow columnist - who celebrates his 24th birthday today - will put pen to a Force contract in the next few days.

It is understood there was never any doubt Shepherd would sign with the Force, despite being chased by the other three Australian Super 14 franchises.

With 115 points, Shepherd was the top scorer for the Force last year, including seven tries. He scored 121 points, also with seven tries, in 2006.

Coaching staff and management are pleased that another block in their future planning has fallen into place.

There were rumours Shepherd was considering following in the footsteps of Matt Giteau - committing to the ARU, but leaving his domestic options open.

However, it is understood Giteau will be happy to stay with the Force when his three-year contract ends at the end of next season.

Captain Nathan Sharpe signed a three year contract last month and a host of other players have committed to the Force or are on the verge of re-signing.

Utility back Scott Daruda and front-rower Troy Takiari have re-signed, while prop Gareth Hardy is considering his future.

The club has made a new offer to form centre Ryan Cross who opened negotiations with the ARU on Friday and offers have been made to other props Pek Cowan and AJ Whalley and second row Tom Hockings.

Young flanker David Pocock turned down a Wallaby offer on Friday.

The Force now have to work seriously with the ARU to develop a strategy not only to keep him in Perth, but in Australia.

The Force have put a formal offer on the table for Wallaby and Queensland hooker Stephen Moore.
    Moore and the Force have had informal talks in the past, and the 112kg Moore has been talking with some of his former Reds teammates, now at the Force, about a move west.

Moore had approached the Force on an informal basis and is understood to be considering using a release clause in his contract, which allows him to join another Australian side next year.

The Force expressed an interest in Moore, 25, last year and asked the Australian Rugby Union for permission to talk with him. Then-Force chief executive Peter O'Meara applied for dispensation because of the forced retirement of Brendan Cannon but did not table an offer.

The Force are also interested in Waratahs blindside flanker Rocky Elsom and prop Tim Fairbrother, who is currently playing with the Hurricanes but has Australian ancestry.

copy/pasted from: New Force contract for star fullback Cameron Shepherd | PerthNow

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    great news .......

vCash
    thats great news. both about Sheps and Stephen Moore.
    last i heard, moore wasnt too happy in the reds after being dropped and also with how they played.

vCash
    I would be EXTREMELY happy to get Fairbrother, the more Kiwi props the better I say.

vCash
    dissapointing if we lose pocock, as for stevie moores possible signing great news, mcisaacs line outs on the whole have been pretty dodgy so far this season, luke holmes hopefully will be around for a good few years yet and would be adequate back up for moore....im all for it...

vCash
    happy birthday Sheps!
    Thanks for the birthday present to us.

vCash
    Onya Sheps! Happy Birthday tomorrow and yay for re-signing!

vCash
    Good news after a shit day yesterday..still recovering so anything helps at the moment.

Champion
    vCash
    you little rippa....made my night !!

Champion
    vCash
    That's great news about Shep, hope we get similar news about Pocock soon

vCash
    This is great, but unless im reading it wrong Shep hasn't actually signed yet.

Looks like he is set to sign and that is brilliant and I hope he stays through until the next world cup held in Australia in our Perth's new Rectangular Rugby Stadium!!!

I'm not celebrating yet though..

Last edited by laura; 29-03-08 at 21:19. Reason: Agree with Jess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    thats great news. both about Sheps and Stephen Moore.
    last i heard, moore wasnt too happy in the reds after being dropped and also with how they played.
    Trust me. Moore would be no great loss for the Reds - and no great bonus for the Force.

This bloke needs to lose the tickets on himself before he can be a decent footballer.

vCash
    I have absolute faith that Sheps will re-sign. Haven't doubted it for a moment.

But will save the celebrations until he puts pen to paper. I thought Digby was going to stay too.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Trust me. Moore would be no great loss for the Reds - and no great bonus for the Force.
    Is he another one of those second rate players you guys don't want......until they get coached into world beaters that is, then you tell us their blood is Maroon and they want to come home!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I have absolute faith that Sheps will re-sign. Haven't doubted it for a moment.

But will save the celebrations until he puts pen to paper. I thought Digby was going to stay too.

From what I know of Shep, he's one of nature's true gentleman, everything I've ever said about him and everything I believe about him is based upon an understanding that he is honourable to a fault. If Shep puls a Digby on us, I'll be the first to wave goodbye (not necessarily using my whole hand) not so much for being shafted, 'though that will be a part of it) mainly because he's spent the last three years conning the people of Perth into thinking he's not a selfish asshole!

Surely not Shep!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I thought Digby was going to stay too.
    hasnt digby been a great recruit for the reds (hahaha)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast