Thread: MacKay has inside running

vCash

MacKay has inside running

MacKay has inside running
    Print Bret Harris | March 31, 2008

LACHLAN MACKAY will start at inside centre for Western Force against the Bulls in Perth on Friday in possibly the only change to the starting line-up despite the team's disappointing effort against the Stormers.

MacKay came off the bench against the Stormers in Perth on Friday night when inside centre Scott Daruda left the field with an ankle injury, which could sideline him for a few weeks.

After missing a couple of tackles against the Highlanders the previous week, which cost him his place in the run-on side, MacKay made an impact against the Stormers with his hard, straight running and solid defence.

He also provided the Force with a second-ball distributor in the inside backs along with five-eighth Matt Giteau.

At one point it appeared MacKay would be recalled to replace Giteau, who injured his hip against the Stormers.

But fears about Giteau missing the Bulls game have eased and he is now expected to play.

Force coach John Mitchell has been known to change a winning team, but is believed to be unlikely to wield the axe despite the loss.

The Force was favoured to beat the Stormers to set up a string of home wins, which would secure a top-four finish for the first time in its brief, three-year history.

From here down I apologise for not deleting it from the article but thought that I should let you read the whole article. We have heard enough of this already.

But it appeared the Force entered the Stormers game in an over-confident frame of mind.

From the moment Stormers winger Tonderai Chavhanga scored a runaway try in the opening minute, the Force was never in the game.

The Force is unlikely to make the same mistake against the Bulls, but if it does the result could be the same.

After a slow start to the season, the defending champions are gaining momentum and probably should have beaten the Blues in Auckland last Saturday.

The Force will also be trying to figure out how to turn around its appalling home record.

The phrase "home-ground advantage" does not hold much meaning for the Force.

It has won more games on the road than at home since its foundation season in 2006.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by laura; 31-03-08 at 10:47. Reason: explaning my POV

vCash
    I don't know Laura, that last bit sounds accurate to me.
    We've got to be honest here, we suck at home!

vCash
    Lachie was simply more eager to be on the field. He's happy to be finally playing again and is hungry for some injury-free action. We need more with the same hunger.

vCash
    He should have started. With all due respect to daruda he just doesn't have the same impact on the field...he was lost. Though he did kick one particularly beautiful ball down the end of that field

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Or maybe he had the impact that he did because he came off the bench. Anyhow, we'll see this weekend, we hope he'll be as impactful from the start as off the bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    He should have started. With all due respect to daruda he just doesn't have the same impact on the field...he was lost. Though he did kick one particularly beautiful ball down the end of that field
    Yes and no. I think Daruda played at 100% again, like he has every performance this year. He was outstanding when he came against the Highlanders.

Scott's problem is at the moment he is not quite as good as Lachlan, Jimmy, Junior, Spanner at 12, but he is getting up there and it is good that he is continuing to learn by staying at the Force to have John Mulvihill coaching him and be mentored by the likes of Matt Giteau.

However, he does offer cover at 10 and 15 and is useful resource to have.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    daruda needs to put his body on the line more

vCash
    Pffftt Still think Spanner has the biggest impact in centres!! Mckay does seem more eager than daruda!!! I just don't think McKay can make those breaks in defence!

BUt either way i hope everyone improves for this weekends game!!! Start playing toehter and backing each other up!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    When does Mackay's contract run out?

Ohh and I'm a bit sick of all this home crowd disadvantage crap. You can't really take into account our first year because the fact is we were a new team in a tough competition and many of our players hadn't even played in the Super 14 and practically none of them had played at Subiaco Oval. So I make nine games we can count leading to 4 wins, 2 one point losses, 2 thrashings (Blues 2007, Stormers 2008) and a close loss in a brilliant game against the Crusaders which speaks for itself (especially given how NSW was crushed by them at home and most of this rubbishing us at home is coming from there). Its not brilliant but it certainly hasn't been bad.

vCash
    Agreed James. I would like to see a bit of a comparison between how we have gone in our first 3 years compared to how the other teams in the competition went in their first 3 years. Particularly the other Australian teams.

But This is great news for Lachy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    When does Mackay's contract run out?
    end of this season im pretty sure

vCash
    Scott is playing well this season and still so young a lot of pertential in him. But Mackay at the moment is the better player i think.