Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Membership Numbers

vCash
    being a member of a club has never being in the culture for NSW or QLD, not for the NRL teams or Rugby Unions teams.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    hey gustafsl league is a bit like adelaide boring or is it that yourself and blr need to get a life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
    hey gustafsl league is a bit like adelaide boring or is it that yourself and blr need to get a life.
    Get stuffed sloppy, this is a Rugby UNION forum....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep View Post
    Yes Gustafls and BLR, its not much of a sports and that shows in the low numbers.
    In NSW many will 'follow' a club but when it comes down to putting your hard earned readies on the line ... thats a different matter.
    Not just addressed to you in particular hopep but to the few others taking these figures to have another swipe at the Mungos. You are all living in a fools paradise. If RU is so much more popular in Australia why don't the FTA networks fight to get it to air? It's all about the money - TV ratings=advertising dollars end of story.Another good guide is the subscriptions to "footytips" - 251,000 for AFL, 81000 for NRL but only 35000 for S14. Don't worry about the low crowd numbers, low season memberships etc. Rugby League wins hands down on general popularity if we're just talking the two rugby codes. If we're talking all sports, none of them are within a bulls roar of AFL. I don't like that fact because I prefer Rugby. But I'm not going to delude myself that it's more than third or possibly even fourth in the Aussie football popularity stakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep View Post
    In NSW many will 'follow' a club but when it comes down to putting your hard earned readies on the line ... thats a different matter.

I blame the Government, if dole cheques were larger, you would find more league supporters could afford to buy a season ticket!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I blame the Government, if dole cheques were larger, you would find more league supporters could afford to buy a season ticket!
    i'd say AFL supporters before League supporters

All an AFL supporter needs is a carton of Emu Export and their BFL (Bogan Football League) fix

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Not just addressed to you in particular hopep but to the few others taking these figures to have another swipe at the Mungos. You are all living in a fools paradise. If RU is so much more popular in Australia why don't the FTA networks fight to get it to air? It's all about the money - TV ratings=advertising dollars end of story.Another good guide is the subscriptions to "footytips" - 251,000 for AFL, 81000 for NRL but only 35000 for S14. Don't worry about the low crowd numbers, low season memberships etc. Rugby League wins hands down on general popularity if we're just talking the two rugby codes. If we're talking all sports, none of them are within a bulls roar of AFL. I don't like that fact because I prefer Rugby. But I'm not going to delude myself that it's more than third or possibly even fourth in the Aussie football popularity stakes.
    Well said Shasta. RU would be around the 4th on the popularity stakes.
    So that means we have to work harder at raising the profile and get a "New Home for the Force" so on with the petion.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe it isn't a lack of support, just the quality of the fans. If all they can do is watch them play on FTA then how big of fans can they really be? Step outside Sydney and other then a small support base in Queensland, no one cares about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    Maybe it isn't a lack of support, just the quality of the fans. If all they can do is watch them play on FTA then how big of fans can they really be? Step outside Sydney and other then a small support base in Queensland, no one cares about it.
    I agree there is not much support outside NSW and Qld. But that's where the greatest number of people live. They are good enough fans to make it a profitable investment for advertisers. They have the numbers or business wouldn't be interested. You don't like the game, fair enough. That's a personal choice. You don't need to use dodgy arguments to support your choice.

vCash
    Rugby league is huge in country NSW and country QLD, like shasta said alot of people live in those 2 states.

If you were someone with only a passing interest in sport, followed a single sport or didn't have foxtell you could be forgiven for not knowing what the Super 14 was. Before the Force, that was alot of people i knew. Because Rugby does not get exposure on FTA apart from test rugby.

I happen to be a league supporter as well and there are lots of us (espeacially on this side of Australia) who dont care what form of rugby on tv, we just watch it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    i'd say AFL supporters before League supporters

All an AFL supporter needs is a carton of Emu Export and their BFL (Bogan Football League) fix

dont forget the double pluggers and the wife beater singlet!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Not just addressed to you in particular hopep but to the few others taking these figures to have another swipe at the Mungos....
    No Shasta I wasn't using it to have a go at other sports. I pointed out that a lot of NRL supporters are not neccesarily 'members' or 'season pass holders'. The same happens in AFL, and I suspect in Union as well. The AFL has pretty high member rates as thats how you get a seat at most games (WCE are locked out now as they have more members than seats). Hence, you can't infer community support just by looking at membership numbers
    League and AFL aren't going to go away. I have no problem with them as sports, they just don't get me all revved up like rugby.
    - I was more interested in the S14 figures to see how the Force stack up against their ACTUAL opposition. They are the sort of figures that the ARU ought to collect and publicise.

vCash
    how can the WAFC have more members that seats?
    isnt that double dipping in a way?
    or do they give out the same seat twice and whatever person with the membership card gets there first gets to watch the game?

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Jono not the WAFC, the WC Eagles, they have only so many seats allocated to them at home games. Thats the limitation of their membership. There is a long waiting list of people wanting to join.
    The Dockers are a fair bit behind and have memberships available.

no other AFL team comes close to the eagles. Thats the point, if you just look at memberships you miss a whole lot of supporters. I did like Shastas idea of counting people who join tipping comps, but there are so many and a lot of doubling up - I tip in both AFL and S14 comps.

Perhaps the best way would be if the various codes published data on attendances regularly, and on merchandise - as I pointed out before, its people who are prepared to spend money that actually support a code.
    Whether thats in membership, gate sales or merchandise is irrelevant.

vCash
    West Coast have a waiting list for season tickets. Apparently a 5 year wait. The only tickets to West Coast games go on sale the Monday 2 weeks before the game, as blocks are reserved for away team supporters and general public.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast