Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Experts tip Giteau, Cordingley as new Wallabies halves

vCash

Experts tip Giteau, Cordingley as new Wallabies halves

Experts tip Giteau, Cordingley as new Wallabies halves
    By Iain Payten Experts tip Giteau, Cordingley as new Wallabies halves | The Daily Telegraph

March 28, 2008 12:00am

MATT Giteau's sublime form in the Super 14's first half demands his installation as Stephen Larkham's successor as the Wallaby No. 10, according to a range of experts including Larkham.

And a majority believe Giteau's scrumbase partner and replacement for fellow retiree George Gregan should be Queensland halfback Sam Cordingley.

With the Super 14 entering its halfway point this weekend and Australia's first Test under Robbie Deans 10 weeks away, The Daily Telegraph canvassed opinions on who should fill the huge hole left by the departure of the 242-Test Gregan-Larkham duo.

And in a rugby nation where disagreement is par for the course, former Wallabies figures Larkham, Tim Horan, Greg Martin, John Connolly and Scott Johnson were largely singing the same tune of a Cordingley-Giteau combination this winter.

"Cordingley's length of pass is what suits Giteau, who would be the number one, two and three choice five-eighth," Martin said.

Five-Eighth Intending to start afresh with selections, Deans has declared boldly that there "are no Wallabies".

But after acknowledging Giteau's importance, Deans left the the door open to play "Kid Dynamite" at either five-eighth or inside centre, having long favoured a ball-playing 12 like Aaron Mauger.

The stunning form of Giteau at 10 this year for the Force, however, could force his hand.

"'Gits' is obviously playing really well. He obviously has a foot in the door," Larkham says. "It's really where Mat wants to play, he is that skilful. You would pick the backline around him. I know he has been comfortable playing 12, but he appears just as comfortable playing 10 now."

Horan, who played 10 and 12 in a 80-Test Wallabies career, concurs.

"Giteau has put his hand up fairly high. He is probably mature enough to take that position now," Horan said. "He has learned a lot over the last three or four years with Steve (Larkham) at 10. He is ready to take charge of the team at 10."

Johnson, Wallabies backs coach at last year's World Cup, also can't go past Giteau.

"He is not a young bloke any more, people forget he is 26 this year. He is a mature Test player now," he said.

Johnson believes Australia is blessed with unprecedented emerging depth at five-eighth, with Berrick Barnes (21), Quade Cooper (19), Kurtley Beale (19), Christian Lealiifano (20) and Matt Toomua (18) all coming through.

"We are probably on the verge of a golden era of 10s," he said. "If Giteau takes us through a couple of years, the others are all going to be knocking on the door at the same time and quality players won't play Test football. There won't be a country with that depth, New Zealand included."

With Barnes - the Test incumbent - injured or playing centre, Giteau is a mile ahead of his rookie rivals statistically. He has the most metres run and kicked, is the best attacking pivot and has missed the least tackles.

HalfbackConnolly is straight to the point about his picks.

"It'd have to be Cordingley-Giteau. That seems to be most people's position, you won't get too many in disagreement," the previous Wallabies coach says.

Though challenged by youngsters Josh Holmes, Brett Sheehan, Josh Valentine, Luke Burgess and James Stannard, 31-year-old Cordingley is Gregan's favoured successor after long being his understudy.

"You give Giteau a little extra room it's trouble. Well, you give him another two metres with Cordingley's pass," Martin says. "He has the kicking game, he's tough, he can defend and he still has plenty of pace to snipe."

Larkham remains undecided but Horan takes a similar line to Martin.

"(Cordingley) has the experience, and you'd put a younger player on the bench you want to bring through," Horan says. "His pass is two metres longer and flatter than any other halfback in the competition, and he can be a ninth forward. He is able to push Matt Giteau on the outside of players."

Johnson sees selectors going "traditional" with Cordingley to add to his 14 Test caps but would have NSW's Burgess in reserve.

"I like him. He'd be my attacking bench option," Johnson adds.

Sheehan's name is the only alternative thrown up. Statistics show the tough Waratah is the busiest half with most runs, tackles and kicks.

"It is difficult, however, to pin down stats on a halfback in terms of length of pass, quality of pass and general decision-making, so there's definitely an argument for Cordingley on those fronts," FoxSport Stats' Sam Mueller says.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They need to get away from this idea of a Dad's Army, Cordingley as the successor to Gregan, give me a break!

vCash
    I agree..at 31 this would only be a short term solution..but you would have to pick the best team on the day and presuming Sam is best and picked, I trust there will be a much younger "understudy" on the bench.

vCash
    Sam is the best man for the job, he should've been picked 2 years ago, 'cause Gregan was over the wall for the last 2 years.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    But after acknowledging Giteau's importance, Deans left the the door open to play "Kid Dynamite" at either five-eighth or inside centre, having long favoured a ball-playing 12 like Aaron Mauger.
    I guess having Dan Carter at 10 didn't affect this decision.

Bit of a different situation with the Wallabies. If you put Giteau at 12 it leaves no one good enough to actually get him the ball.

Don't know why Cordingley is being considered. So far the best I've seen has been Chris O'Young. Limited time on the field but he's been great when out there.

vCash
    i think if Cordingley is chosen there will be other factors involved, Deans will want to retain some of the older players for experience and leadership rather then going for a full cleanout and starting fresh.

I think its being proven many times, that teams are better off doing a gradual transition rather then just swapping all there players at once, at least this way the older players will be able to lead the younger players a bit more.

vCash
    Cordingly is clearly the best at the moment and should be picked. But his age is a problem. He is a two year prospect at best with no clear understudy.

The selectors are now reaping what they previously sowed - Gregan should not have been selected again after the 2003 RWC as his form leading up to, and at that tournament was pedestrian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Gregan should not have been selected again .... as his form leading up to, and at that tournament was pedestrian.
    So he was waling around looking at things and trying not to get run over?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    My initial reaction was negative, but it is probably the right move. It gives time to develop one or two of the younger players, by which time Giteau is not so young. We have to try and get away from players all leaving at the same time, as there is no-one to help them develop. Stagger the ages - Cordingley eventually goes and Giteau helps the new boy adapt, and then when Giteau leaves there is an older head to assist the new fly half.

vCash
    they should blood some new talent, start building a squad to win the 2011 world cup

vCash
    we shouldnt be in this posistion... *sigh*

vCash
    I've said it before, I'll probably say it again, Cordingley is a washed up never was, If you pick him this year, you're only delaying the development of a real halfback for another year!

C'mon the

vCash
    Well Cordingly has maturity and still has a cheeky little game. He is the best we have at the moment (and far better than GIGS20 will ever give him credit for), and you simply cannot throw a rookie in to start for the Wallabies. We do need to blood some younguns but it must be from the bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I've said it before, I'll probably say it again, Cordingley is a washed up never was, If you pick him this year, you're only delaying the development of a real halfback for another year!
    well, the wallabies are the best players in australia, and at the moment there is no better player at scrum half...

If you go picking a player based purely on potential and not form, then you run the risk of doing more harm then good. It has happend numerous time with players who have shown promise and debut'd at international level only to perform average and take a year or two to get over it.

vCash
    henjak

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast