Thread: Cross making his point, forcefully - NZ view

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cross making his point, forcefully - NZ view

By MARC HINTON - RugbyHeaven | Tuesday, 25 March 2008

Photosport
    FLYIN' RYAN: Force centre Ryan Cross made a menace of himself against the Highlanders at the weekend, again highlighting his Wallaby aspirations.

Memo John O'Neill: Next time you're counting the pennies, how about seeing if you can throw a few the way of Ryan Cross. The kid can play a bit and in case you haven't been watching he's been Australia's form back of the first six weeks of the Super 14.

That was the gist of a stern message sent out by Western Force coach John Mitchell after his men completed their fourth victory of the season in Queenstown over the Easter weekend, outlasting the hapless Highlanders 36-28, largely on the back of another inspired performance from the former Sydney Rooster league star in midfield.

Mitchell is a big believer that Australia's newest rugby frontier doesn't get a fair suck of the sav by the Sydney-based Australian Rugby Union. And he may very well have a point.

Cross has apparently yet to be re-signed by the national union, a situation Mitchell made more than clear he wants to see resolved.

"He's going good," was Mitchell's succinct evaluation of the woolly-haired No 13 who made such a mess of the ‘Landers defence in Queenstown. Then again should we have been at all surprised that a Cross would rise so symbolically at Easter?

Continued Mitchell: "His first year (2007) was an adaptation, this year he's very comfortable with rugby union. Let's hope the ARU recognise that.

"The difference between the New Zealand and Australian rugby unions is player contracting is in the competition window. There's a lot of deliberation by them over where he's at in the game. I guess they've spent money on other players, with Mortlock out, but the guy's a quality footballer, very special within our group. And he's a good person, a quiet person for that matter, but he does work hard at his game."

There's no doubt that playmaker Matt Giteau has been the key figure in the Force's emergence as a genuine semifinal contender this campaign. Though to that you could also add skipper Nathan Sharpe, an indefatigable figure for the West Australians who once again played himself to a standstill at the weekend.

But when it has come to penetration and sparking the attack wide of the ruck, Cross has been the most likely Force player this year.

His ability to breach defensive lines has been outstanding and he's also showing that he's more than able, once through, to link with his outside runners.

The Force, after a fourth road win at the weekend, are now ideally placed to kick on and make the semifinals in just their third year of existence – a state of affairs that would surely embarrass the perennially under-achieving NSW Waratahs into some major changes.

But Mitchell wasn't looking beyond Friday night's visit to Perth by the Stormers.
    "We've got a really short turnaround now and we're going to have to not just accept that it will be a right coming back home. It's going to require a lot of work. Our game is certainly not where we'd like it to be, even though we've got the results."

With Cross firing, Giteau running the game splendidly,. Sharpe firing up a more-than-competitive pack and the hard work already done, the Force now control their own destiny.

With five of their final seven matches at home, they need only do the business in Perth and then surely their claims cannot be ignored by anyone in Australian rugby.

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4451182a22363.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

..............surely their claims cannot be ignored by anyone in Australian rugby.

Don't bet on it Marc.

Champion
    vCash
    "Fair suck of the sav." I haven't heard that expression for years!

vCash
    I think its absolutely outrageous that this has been going on for as long as it has. They probably think they have all the time in the world with this one because Cross isn't or doesn't appear to be a flight risk..no mention of him going back to league or overseas.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I am surprised that Cross' form doesn't throw more emphasis on the recruiting practices of the ARU. For mine, it raises the question - should they:
    a) Pick a name, top up their salaries to the tune of a few hundred thousand and then see how they adapt, or
    b) Allow interested League players to make a commitment to Union, then reward them when they demonstrate their worth?

For mine, all credit to players like Schifkofske and Cross - wish there were more like them. Just a shame they have to compete for money and opportunities against players essentially signed in the hope that they can attract League supporters to watch Waratahs and Wallabies matches.

vCash
    Not talking about any hamstrings in particular Andy?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Only in that the hamstrung is the latest in a line of players that have been paid to cross over, with varying (but invariably arguable) success. I am not saying they are necessarily bad players (and on their day they can be very good) but the ARU involvement distorts the selection process at a national level, all to prop up the popularity of one team.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    [RIGHT]
    Then again should we have been at all surprised that a Cross would rise so symbolically at Easter?
    hilarious stuff...what a quote

coz Stone Cold says so

Champion
    vCash
    remember he was a roo with the ARL, and shouldn't be too far away from wearing a centres jumper. if he doesn't the Australian Rugby Union sellectors aren't picking on form !!

Does any one no if mitch is going to be Deans assistant in someway ?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post

Does any one no if mitch is going to be Deans assistant in someway ?
    all Super 14 Coaches will act as advisors, the apointed assistants have been named and Mitch will not be able become an "official" assistant until the end of his Force contract in 2010, just in time for RWC 2011.

In speaking to John over in NZ, he is not going anywhere away from WA until 2010 and possibly beyond....he loves the place.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    In speaking to John over in NZ, he is not going anywhere away from WA until 2010 and possibly beyond....he loves the place.
    He isn't really going to be bagging out the place to a Force supporter though is he?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps, but this (Mitch content ruling the wild west) scooted off the active thread list quite quickly. I thought it was both well written and very interesting, especially as it was not written with us in mind. Check the last few sentences.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    He isn't really going to be bagging out the place to a Force supporter though is he?
    You would have to speak to him yourself I guess, he came to us for a chat.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!