Thread: Rugby States of Origin

vCash

Rugby States of Origin

Once again on the weekend we were treated to some wonderful NZ commentary during a couple of the Trans-Trasman S14 matches. Dean Mumm was of course “New Zealand Born” Dean Mumm and Tamaiti Horua was “Tamaiti Horua born in Nelson on the South Island……….Tamaiti Horua, now isn’t that a great Aussie name?”. This despite both of them coming here at a very young age and starting their education and Rugby here. Listen to their accents next time Murray.

I’ve heard that type of line so often that it, along with Gerry’s Rugby origins poll got me to wondering about the make up of the Kiwi S14 teams and the All Black squad.

Quiet here today and the stats were interesting.

The squad numbers varied so I just went with what was on the official websites.

Aukland Blues :
    25% of their squad of 34 were born outside NZ . 3 West Samoans & one from the American side, 2 Australians, 1 Fijian,1 Tongan.

Waikato Chiefs:
    15% of their 32man squad were born outside NZ. 2 Samoans, 2 Fijians & 1 Tongan.

Wellington Hurricanes:
    18% of the 18 listed. 5 Samoans.

Canterbury Crusaders:
    Don’t list players place of birth but Anesi & Laulala are Samoan born & Ben Franks is from Melbourne . Suspect there might be a few more when you look at their names.

Otago Highlanders:
    15% of their squad foreign born. 3 Samoans and one from Australia.

Queensland Reds:
    25% of their squad born elsewhere. 9 NZ’ers and a Tongan. Is that why they have been struggling? – doubt it when you look at the family names they suggest that most of their parents moved there from Tonga and Samoa but then wised up and moved to Australia.

NSW Waratahs :
    18% of their 33 players born OS. 2 New Zealanders, 1 Tongan, 1 Fijian, 1 Saffa & Billy Bunter is a Canadian – Yay!!

They also have a few Aussies with interesting origins. Rocky Elsom and Timana Tahu are from Melbourne, Beau Robinson Alice Springs and Brett Sheehan from Geraldton in WA.

ACT Brumbies:
    21% of their squad of 28. 5 New Zealanders, 1 Saffa and a Fijian.

Western Force:
    Like the ‘Saders they don’t list places of birth. But not surprisingly for an AFL dominated market (which still manages to regularly get the best home crowd stats.) they have 25% of their roster born overseas and only 3 players who made their way via Perth Club Rugby. I think there are 8 foreign born players. 3 from NZ, 1 each from Samoa, Tonga, Zimbabwe & PNG.

What about the Wallabies?
    The last RWC squad of 29 had 4 born overseas. 14% of the squad. George from Zimbabwe, Dan Vickerman from ZA, Lote from Fiji, &” Billy Bunter” Dunning from Canada.

And the Allblacks?

25% of their RWC squad were not native New Zealanders. Muliaina, Toeava, Masoe, Jerry Collins, So’oialo & Swalger are all from Samoa, Rokokoko & Sivivatu from Fiji and Sione Lauaki is from Tonga.

What does all this say, apart from the fact that there’s no great surprises from 2 high immigration nations like ours? Well that some of those smug comments from Mexted & Co are misguided, sure. But mostly it says how bloody awesome the Pacific Nations’ squads could be if they were all allowed to play together more often and had professional coaching / funding . Polynesia just keeps producing incredible rugby machines. But we all knew that already, like Gareth Davies said – “Good job we didn’t play the whole of Samoa.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    good work

i know with many of the O/S born QLD players, they say how they were born in NZ but there parents are Samoan/Fijian.

Champion
    vCash
    Cam Shepherd was born in Windsor UK don't know how old he was when he moved to Australia. George Gregan and Scott Daruda might have been born overseas but have one Australian parent

Last edited by PerthGirl; 24-03-08 at 13:13. Reason: Add more info

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I know the feeling Shasta. Wife tired after hectic three days just passed, kids bored and driving you nuts... lock yourself in the computer room, get sick of surfing rugby sites and decide to stick it up those whinging Kiwi commentators.

Me, I went to work instead. It's amazing what you can get through without the wretched phone ringing....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I know the feeling Shasta. Wife tired after hectic three days just passed, kids bored and driving you nuts... lock yourself in the computer room, get sick of surfing rugby sites and decide to stick it up those whinging Kiwi commentators.

Me, I went to work instead. It's amazing what you can get through without the wretched phone ringing....
    Fraid not Frank. Never get much time to fill in that way at home, even though we're empty nesters now.

I'm at the same place that you achieved so much today. No engineers - (no offense you blokes) - or managers to bother you over a long weekend, and internet available. It's amazing how you can fill in the 12 hours, and still get all your work done on the side