Thread: Cross should be on ARU's mind: Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cross should be on ARU's mind: Mitchell

March 23, 2008 - 12:21PM

Western Force coach John Mitchell has urged the Australian Rugby Union to recognise centre Ryan Cross' sparkling form as he looms large in Wallabies contention.

The rugby league convert turned in another eye-catching performance to boost the Force's push for the Super 14 semi-finals and he seems certain to figure in new Wallabies coach Robbie Deans's selection planning.

Cross's development in his second season back in union has mirrored that of the Force, turning last year's solid play into the spectacular, with regular line breaks and stout defence.

Two man-of-the-match displays in the first six rounds, and another try in Saturday's 36-28 win over the Highlanders, are believed to have caught the eye of ARU bosses, who are weighing up an offer to top-up to Cross' contract.

And Mitchell has backed the suggestion.

"He has adjusted to the game well, after last year having to adapt and adopt new methods," Mitchell said.
    "He's playing very well. He's very comfortable with union and I hope the ARU recognise that.
    "They need to make sure they are deliberating on him and where he stands."

The Force flew home on Sunday ensconced in the competition top four after a fourth away win in the first six weeks which has seen them play at home only once.

"We are pleased to get the two results but still have some issues with the way we played which we weren't totally happy with," Mitchell said.

"We were probably lucky in some respects, but you have got to score more points than them and we did that.

"We have had a fair bit of travel, and three pretty hard games in a row. So credit to the group and the management of the group during this part of the trip.

"To end up four out of six coming into the home leg, we would have taken that."

While the result fell the Force's way, the performance of referee Mark Lawrence was still on Mitchell's mind - with Scott Staniforth's disallowed try in the second half still bemusing player and staff in the postscript.

After a pinpoint cross kick from Matt Giteau, Staniforth's run and lunge looked to have given the Force the lead, until Lawrence ruled the winger had performed a double movement - despite replays indicating he wasn't held in a tackle.

Mitchell said while it did not affect the match outcome, the decision may still have ramifications.

"Hopefully that does not become costly when we get to the end of the round robin," Mitchell said.

"We missed out on a (four try) bonus point yesterday which was very much there for the taking, but you have just got to ride those situations."

Staniforth said his urgings to Lawrence to check a video replay had gone unheeded.

"I asked two or three times if he was going to go upstairs, but he wasn't having a bar of it. He just told me to go back to my wing," Staniforth said.

As well as the Stormers at Subiaco on Friday, Force bosses will also have longer term planning in mind, with Cameron Shepherd's future in Perth to be discussed this week.

While the fullback has said he is happy in Perth, and the ARU component of his new contract is agreed, interest from the Brumbies following the shock diagnosis of Julian Huxley's brain tumour has given the 23-year old Wallaby another option.

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/cross...0323-212n.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    according to todays sunday times crossy will be offered an ARU contract next week........

Champion
    vCash
    he's got to be the best number 13 or centre australia has running around yeah ?

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Was the ref allowed to refer that try to video review?? Cause I thought they can only rule on stuff in the goal area, but the double move would have been outside the area.

If he was allowed to send it for review then I think that SANZAR needs to start holding the ref's more accountable for major errors like that. Especially when it concerns a try. I'd rather see the game held up for 1 or 2 mins (and something like that wouldn't have taken long to review) and they get it right.

Overall I thought the ref was terrible on both sides. But what do expect from a SA ref. Do they have any good ones?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    If he was allowed to send it for review then I think that SANZAR needs to start holding the ref's more accountable for major errors like that. Especially when it concerns a try. I'd rather see the game held up for 1 or 2 mins (and something like that wouldn't have taken long to review) and they get it right.
    That's the problem with referees in all sports, they can make some terrible decisions yet there is no meaningful review for thier performances, they can get away with anything, even if it decides the game (see: TMO decisions...)

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    and no-one is allowed to criticise them. poor insecure petals.

vCash
    Unfortunately Individual referees can INTERPRET the laws differently, still doesn't excuse some of yesterdays referee's "interpretations"

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    The Stormers game after ours was almost as bad.

Crossy

vCash
    Cross is definetly the form centre in Australia