Thread: Crusaders put Tahs to sword

vCash

Crusaders put Tahs to sword

Crusaders put Tahs to sword

March 21, 2008 THE Crusaders have continued their undefeated start to the Super 14 season, beating New South Wales 34-7 in the opening match of round six.

The Waratahs claimed the lead, 7-6, in the 50th minute, with a converted try against the run of play from No.8 Wycliff Palu, after a great bust and offload from half-back Brett Sheehan, but the Crusaders then scored four tries in 27 minutes to stretch their winning streak to six matches.

"There's still plenty of football to go in this season, so we just need to go back to Sydney and hopefully improve on that effort,'' NSW skipper Phil Waugh said.

The competition frontrunners hit back almost immediately after falling behind, with centre Casey Laulala celebrating his 100th game for the Crusaders with a fine try to restore his team's lead.

Laulala outjumped Sheehan to reel in a midfield bomb from Tim Bateman before palming off Waratahs full-back Lachie Turner and racing 35 metres to score in the corner.

Dan Carter nailed the sideline conversion, after slotting two penalty goals to give the Crusaders a 6-0 lead at the break, to put the home side up 13-7 after 53 minutes.

The Crusaders led 20-7 nine minutes later, after No.8 Mose Tuiali'i drove over next to the posts after 17 phases of pressure from the Crusaders.

And replacement prop Wyatt Crockett put the issue beyond doubt with the Crusaders' third try, in the 75th minute, before full-back Scott Hamilton secured the bonus point with his team's fourth try in final minute.

Carter finished the match with a personal tally of 14 points from a four conversions and two penalties from six attempts.

Waugh couldn't fathom how the Waratahs had nothing to show for keeping the Crusaders - the most potent attacking team in the competition - tryless for almost an hour.

"We tried our hearts out,'' Waugh said. "It's hard to explain how a match can be so even but then one team can score four tries to one. "We couldn't consolidate as we needed to after we got that try after halftime. We couldn't get any field position and that hurt us in the end. "They hung in there and grinded it out.''

Crusaders captain Richie McCaw said: "We knew if we could hold onto the ball the opportunities would come. "That's the way it goes with tough games of rugby. They can be very close for a long time then open up in the last five or 10 minutes.''

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    A 27 point belting Ouch

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    to be fair the Saders just outlasted, outplated & outwitted the Tahs.

Tuquiri had a blinder as did Waugh but Turner & Beale floundered. They just couldnt deal with the constant pressure. If that doesnt show the quality of the Force then i dont know what will.

vCash
    I am very dissappointed with the Saders, I picked them to win by 80 points!

Rookie
    vCash
    Waratahs played good for the first 50 minutes there defence was great, after that they had run out of steam and the bench came on and did nothing. The saders can go up a gear and they showed that as soon as they were behind just like they did against the force and don't forget the game was in christchurch.

vCash
    The overall fitness of the crusaders... well it's just on a whole different level to the rest of the competition.

But I think it just shows how far the Force have come, in that we were able to keep up and hold them to just 5 points.

We're a pretty fit unit ourselves.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Working next door to the gym where the boys work out must be horrible jess

vCash
    Tahs gave it a go. Too hard a task without a decent kicker and experienced 10. Still, i'm proud of the effort! Force have shown what superior fitness and a never say die attitude can do! Well done to them as well!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    terrible... especially when they train topless... awful... *giggles*

I made Happy sad...

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    That was a pretty poor game and Crusaders are not playing well. Link may well be looking for a new job at the end of this season! I believe hungry jacks have positions available.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    terrible... especially when they train topless... awful... *giggles*
    And you have the gall to complain about Cheerleaders

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    i dont know whether it was fitness or composure.

I think some of the NSW players just became a little to lazy and relaxed towards the end, where as in the first 50min they were enthusiastic and committed.

vCash
    betya tahs still get 10 players in aussie 'team of the week' kurtley beale is not living up to the hype and what the hells happened to tuqiri only thing hes good at is tackling mccaw

vCash
    That's more than he did all world cup, get off his case!

I'd have to say by his standards, Lote is having a marquee year......one game he plays attack, the next he plays defense!

I've got a present for Chook.

C'mon the