Thread: Highlanders hold on to hope against Force

vCash

Highlanders hold on to hope against Force

19th March 2008, 12:30 WST Highlanders hold on to hope against Force : thewest.com.au

The Highlanders face a daunting task hosting the Western Force in their Super 14 rugby match on Saturday but coach Glenn Moore feels the spirit bonding his young side could help tip the game in their favour.

The Highlanders have lost their first four matches, scoring just five tries, and their recent home results have given Carisbrook’s nickname, the House of Pain, an ironic twist.

The Highlanders’ chances aren’t helped by the Force playing their two best games in a row - in losing gamely to the Crusaders and backing that up with victory last weekend against the Blues for their maiden win on New Zealand soil since their formation in 2006.

However, the Highlanders, gutted of the experience of Anton Oliver, Carl Hayman, Clarke Dermody, Josh Blackie, Nick Evans, Seilala Mapusua and Callum Bruce among others, have not been pushovers.

There’s only a difference of 15 points between the points scored (54) and conceded (69) columns - clear evidence they have run closely with every team they have played. That closeness has earned them four bonus points.

“I am proud of them - the squad are young but fight right to the end,” Moore said.

“We have been tracking pretty well in our set pieces and last time out (against the Hurricanes) we won quite a bit of ball and created some opportunities so it’s just a matter of focusing on converting some of those opportunities into points.

“We have a number of wins in us - it is a rebuilding phase for us but I still believe these guys are good enough to win a number of games.

“We are not far off a win and if we can do that it’ll help gather some confidence and build up some momentum.”

Moore said last week’s bye had given some members of the team to chance to get over some niggles and to work on a few things which will “simplify what we are doing”.

Moore said against the Blues, the Force had shown the ability to bide their time and build up pressure.

“But having said that, the Blues also probably lost their way when Nick Evans came off and the fatigue from the travel home from South Africa kicked in”.

The Force were a good all round side with key players in skipper and lock Nathan Sharpe, world class first five-eighth Matt Giteau, No 8 Richard Brown and blindside flanker Scott Fava.

“The spirit in the Highlanders is high and I like to think we have made some progress and that if we create some opportunities this week, we’ll convert them into points.”

WELLINGTON

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The Force is going to teach them a lesson in playing Rugby

vCash
    this is quite possibly the most important game of the year for the force a win will put us in the top4 ( as well as a game clear of the waratahs ) a loss would undo the momentum of last weeks amazing win

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    On form, the Force by 14+. We are on song and playing in Queenstown not Carisbrook is a huge bonus.The planets are in alignment. We are cherry ripe id suggest, plus the vocal support from the InnForcers crew on site and drinking Speights will get the boys over.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    GO YOU GOOD THINGS!!!!!

vCash
    And bring back a bonus point. (a good one for scoring heaps, not the bad one for losing by 7)

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    OK.......Tipping against the worked last week, do you think I should take one for the team?

Just so I don't 'Jinx' it!

Stuff it, they're gunna win by 30 this week!

C'mon the

vCash
    john welborn is taking one for the team!!

Rookie
    vCash
    Force should bring home a good bonus point but i bet every team that has played them thought they would get one to. A real danger game for the force but i think force by 15.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kelv View Post
    A real danger game for the force but i think force by 15.
    Yeah, about the margin I'd tip. Sure is a danger game for the boys. The Highlanders a one of only a few teams who have not lost to the Force. They have taken a bonus point from each of their matches this year so their no push-overs. Games like this are the ones you can look back at when narrowly missing the play offs, if you drop them. But that's not gonna happen this time.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Last year being a case in point.

We have the beating of the Highlanders, but everyone will need to show up. They have started this year like the Chiefs did last year, getting points even if they didn't get the win. They'll obviously come at us in the forwards, but their backs are more deprived than bad. I would hate to see them get an even break, as they will focus on staying within striking range. If we get on top, we have to drive it home. There is still a question mark over our capacity for ruthlessness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    WHY ?

we just see em as a point giver - so different from last year are we to cocky now

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    If the Force play a running game then they will be un-stoppable the Highlanders would like to keep the ball up front and slow it down as much as possible but I think guys like Gits, Drew, Shepherd, and Cross are going to be running at almost everything testing the defense and fitness of the Highlanders.

And when our forwards pack kicks into action who knows what will happen.

I say Force wins with at least 15
    MOM....Richard Brown