Thread: Baabaas match to cap Wallabies tour

vCash

Baabaas match to cap Wallabies tour

Baabaas match to cap Wallabies tour
    AAP - March 17, 2008, 11:30 am

An historic finale against the Barbarians at Wembley will cap the six-match Wallabies' 2008 Spring Tour schedule announced by the Australian Rugby Union on Monday.

The match against the Barbarians on December 3 is at the invitation of the British Olympic Association and commemorates the Olympic gold medal for rugby won by Australia at the 1908 London Games at White City.

Rugby remains the only football code in which Australia has ever won an Olympic medal.

Coincidentally, the match marks the 60th anniversary of the first meeting between the Wallabies and the Barbarians at Cardiff Arms Park in January 1948 when the hosts won 9-6 in front of 45,000 fans.

The Spring Tour starts with the recently announced fourth Bledisloe Cup Test in Hong Kong on November 1, the first time the trophy has been contested outside of Australia or New Zealand.

The European leg of the tour begins with a Test against Italy on November 8.

Australia will be out to avenge its 12-10 Rugby World Cup quarter-final loss when defending the Cook Cup against England at Twickenham the following Saturday.

The Wallabies then travel to France to face Les Blues on November 22, the third time they will play the World Cup semi-finalists this year.

The fifth Test of the tour is against newly-crowned Six Nations champions Wales at Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on November 29.

ARU CEO John O'Neill said the tour was one of the most significant undertaken in the modern era.

"We are playing five Tests, starting with an historic Bledisloe Cup game in Hong Kong, then ending the trip with a sixth game against the Barbarians which has major historical connections," said O'Neill.

"We're excited about what lies ahead on Robbie Deans first tour to Europe as Qantas Wallabies coach.

"It is, in many respects, a ground-breaking venture; a first ever Bledisloe Cup Test offshore, playing at the famed and redeveloped Wembley Stadium, and the opportunity to celebrate our Olympic Games success 100 years ago."

Spring Tour schedule:-

Saturday 1 November

Australia v New Zealand Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong Saturday 8 November Italy v Australia TBC Saturday 15 November England v Australia Twickenham, London Saturday 22 November France v Australia Stade de France, Paris Saturday 29 November Wales v Australia Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Wednesday 3 December Barbarians v Australia Wembley Stadium, London.</p>

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    About time they released this schedule....with the France game on the 22nd I am afraid I will have to skip my Netherlands/ Belgium double between the England/Wales game to bring the France game into my tour.

vCash
    there is rumour of trying to squeeze in a game against england as well... depends on what the english clubs say though since the RFU has already filled all the allowed dates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    there is rumour of trying to squeeze in a game against england as well... depends on what the english clubs say though since the RFU has already filled all the allowed dates.
    Wasn't there a rumour of playing a second game against England at Wembley, on the date they have now been confirmed to play the Barbarians?

Rookie
    vCash
    The England match is after Hong Kong the RFU have already confirmed it.

vCash
    The question is do the Wallabies get a cap?

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Babaas has never been a test, why should they start now?

C'mon the

vCash
    Sentences 2 & 3 are in direct conflict.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    ever not never

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!