Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Show me the rugby Pocock tells Reds

vCash

Show me the rugby Pocock tells Reds

Show me the rugby Pocock tells Reds
    By Jim Tucker
    March 14, 2008 Show me the rugby Pocock tells Reds - Super 14 - Fox Sports

HOT property David Pocock has given battlers Queensland hope that he is on the open market by declaring the Reds still have two months to build their case on the field.

The 19-year-old dynamo destined to be Australia's next long-term Test flanker is delighted with the Western Force environment yet does not hide the pulling power that Brisbane still has for him.

His parents Andy and Jane live in Brisbane, where he was schooled at Churchie and his locker was side-by-side with that of close friend Quade Cooper, the Reds flyhalf.

He also has a high regard for Queensland coaching duo Phil Mooney and Mark Bell, mentors when he shared in Australia's world under-19 championship win in 2006.

To borrow from filmdom's most famous sports agent Jerry Maguire, Pocock and others on the Reds recruitment wish list are yelling, "SHOW ME THE RUGBY!"

Only a decent rally in the Reds' results will make it a fight for his signature, and the same scenario exists for another Reds target, Proserpine-bred Force forward Tom Hockings.

"I'm pretty happy at the Force. They gave me my chance and (head coach) John Mitchell is excellent on back-row work to teach all the finer points," Pocock said.

"For me, the key thing is the rugby. I'd like to leave that decision to the end of Super 14 because all my focus is on the Force right now."

Pocock was upbeat about the future he saw for the Reds.

"The Force won only once in our first season (2006) but made a big move up the table last year so a turnaround doesn't have to take long," Pocock said.

"I really enjoyed Phil's coaching style in under-19s and the Reds will be really good in a few seasons."

Soon enough to lure Pocock? It's uncertain.

The off-contract tyro displayed all his class as an openside flanker in one striking play against the Canterbury Crusaders in Perth last Sunday.

He positioned himself perfectly on the end of a passing rush to score in the corner as a fine second effort after hitting the previous ruck.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Uh oh, I don't like this feeling, sign him quickly!

vCash
    Im with you BLR....but still from his perspective, there's strong cases for him to sign with both teams.

vCash
    I just read this on the foxsports website and alarm bells went off in my head

vCash
    Hopefully they dont push to much to the point of pushing him away. He is a HUGE asset to the team and I really do hope he stays with the Force but whatever decision is best to further his career I'm ok with, knowing that he is worth it and will play for the Wallabies some day.

vCash
    OK so Dave and Tom have given Qld till the end of the season to prove they're a going concern before making a decision....now that would mean there needs to be a rally in results.

A rally would have to have some relation to how they've played so far and more importantly who they've played so far....well it's now round five, and who have they played?
    Round 1 Highlanders - widely tipped as the Wooden Spooners for 2008 and doing nothing to argue the fact, the Reds won this one....unconvincingly
    Round 2 Hurricanes - this one wasn't impressive either....the 'Canes have been inconsistent and the Reds didn't figure in the game at all!
    Round 3 Brumbies - normally the Brums are murder to beat at Canberra, and losing this one wouldn't be too much of a worry for the Reds, but if you saw what the 'Canes just did to the Brums........well it's not pretty!
    Round 4 Stormers - at home they were hammered by the stormers...Stormers could probably credit the Reds as the easybeats who got their season on track and showed them how to win again.

Four games for one win........more importantly, they've not yet played any of the form teams in the comp yet.....even the 'Tahs have had more to do than them, and 'Tahs have had an easy start.......

Will the Reds start to look better in the back half of the season? Not bloody likely, they're yet to meet Blues, 'Saders, Bulls, Sharks, Force, the 'Tahs will not be easy for them the way things are going right now...Even Lions, Cheetahs and Chiefs are all away games........there's a possibility that the Reds have finished winning this season, do you think the boys will sign on to that?

C'mon the

vCash
    You've got this all planned out dont you Gigs...maybe you should make a personal pitch to him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Hopefully they dont push to much to the point of pushing him away. He is a HUGE asset to the team and I really do hope he stays with the Force but whatever decision is best to further his career I'm ok with, knowing that he is worth it and will play for the Wallabies some day.
    Screw the Wallabies, the Force is top priority, the only thing we need to worry about is US being the bloody Wallabies...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Screw the Wallabies, the Force is top priority, the only thing we need to worry about is US being the bloody Wallabies...
    ARU top ups don't even count in this, Bam Bamm's ARU top up will not change until he plays for the Waratahs, then it'll go to whatever the NSWRU tell the ARU it should be!

It's up to the :Force: to make it an impossible decision for Dave to go back to the Reds........that'll be, give him plenty of game time......give him a genuine shot at finals footy, and give him a decent salary.

The Reds will move heaven and earth to beat the salary deal, but they haven't got a shot at the finals!

C'mon the

vCash
    Bam-Bam is equally as important for the forwards as Gits is for the backs... this would be a MASSIVE blow if the Force lost Dave- he is an absolute assest to the team and a great lad.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash

Rookie
    vCash
    I would say it's more like show me the money. Money talks and you can't hold that against him if he decides to go. Everyone likes money.

vCash
    Pocock is on a far greater earn at the , firstly, he'll ge a lot more exposure as a quality rugby player, because he won't be battling alone like Crofty has been doing forever at the Reds! He has support and competition in the loose at Perth, that makes his claims for a top-dollar ARU contract a whole lot more genuine!

C'mon the

vCash
    Great win by the Force today, but probably an even greater win by the Reds.

This is a topsy turvy comp - but that's a good thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Great win by the Force today, but probably an even greater win by the Reds.

This is a topsy turvy comp - but that's a good thing.
    The Bulls have been terrible this year, don't see this as a resurgent Reds side, as I am sure the media will portray them in the coming week....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast