Thread: "Loyal Holmes staying with Reds" - theres a sting in this story

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash

"Loyal Holmes staying with Reds" - theres a sting in this story

Looked like a nice good news story for the Reds until I read on............

Loyal Holmes staying with Reds
    By Jim Morton
    March 10, 2008 WALLABIES prop Greg Holmes has delivered some welcome good news to Super 14 strugglers Queensland by agreeing to stick with the Reds for an extra season.

World Cup tourist Holmes has opted against a using an option in his contract to look elsewhere for 2009 and explained he was driven to helping the Reds fight their way out of the mire.

The 13-Test loose-head's decision is a fantastic boost for the Queensland Rugby Union as they battle to retain and recruit big names during their poor start to the season.

It comes as coach Phil Mooney is set to reinstate exciting young gun Quade Cooper in his starting side for Saturday night's clash with the defending champion Bulls at Suncorp Stadium.

The quick-stepping Cooper, in the sights of several NRL clubs, is likely to replace out-of-form Morgan Turinui in the backline to inject spark alongside overworked playmaker Berrick Barnes.

Holmes said he hoped his early call would have a positive influence for the Reds to keep fellow Test front-rowers Stephen Moore and Rodney Blake.

"They're both great players and we're all the same age (24-25) and it would be great to play together a few more years," he said.

"I've really enjoyed my time at Queensland even though the results haven't been great in the past few years.

"If we can keep the best players that we've got we can start winning and making finals, if one stays then hopefully the rest will follow."

Like Holmes, hooker Moore signed a two-year deal with a midway get-out clause last season and is in the sights of the Western Force and the Brumbies.

Cult hero "Rodzilla" Blake's Australian Rugby Union contract expires this year and it appears he'll be able to earn significantly more overseas with the ARU expected to offer him a downgraded contract.

Mooney is desperate to keep both despite dropping them last week after the painful 43-11 capitulation to the Brumbies in Canberra.

"Stephen is the incumbent Test hooker and he's a guy that's come through the (Reds) system, we'd dearly love to keep him," he said.

"And Rodney is a player that's certainly got a lot of unfulfilled potential."

On top of five seasons of under-performing, 11th-placed Queensland's 1-3 2008 record and mistake-riddled play has also hurt them at the negotiating table.

They are chasing hard to regain Brisbane product David Pocock from the Western Force after already failing to lure Brumbies No.8 Stephen Hoiles with a big offer. Oi F-off!!

The back-row is a major problem area as Mooney can't find the right balance without warhorse Hugh McMeniman (ankle).

It's likely to trigger a bench shake-up with Mooney considering a five-two forwards-backs split for more second half impact from his back-row.

Academy youngster Tasi Luafutu is a possible bolter to join 2006 Australian Under-19 teammate AJ Gilbert in the Reds 22.

The realigned bench would see Ben Lucas, who can play both halfback and five-eighth, come into contention to replace reserve halfback Will Genia.

Meantime, another young Queensland product, highly-regarded teenage five-eighth Matt Toomua, is set to make his Super 14 debut for the Brumbies in Friday night's home clash against the Hurricanes.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    They are chasing hard to regain Brisbane product David Pocock from the Western Force after already failing to lure Brumbies No.8 Stephen Hoiles with a big offer. Oi F-off!!
    Leave the best Oz team in the Super 14 for the worst team in the Super 14.
    They must be offering cocaine and hookers.

I don't think we have anything to worry about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post

Is it the Brisbane Lions or Broncos who are after him?
    He might get a free ticket on Queensland Rail from the reds!!!

Anyway Mooney would have to watch himself - Crofty is on the verge of shooting through, as I suspect would Roe and Houston has got so many problems...What is wrong with AJ Gilbert all of a sudden?

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    I like how they say "Brisbane product." Didn't he come to Australia when he was like 13? And considering he was with the Force when he was 17, that gives him all of 4 years in Brisbane.

This is exactly the kind of crap they need to get rid of. Teams should not be allowed to talk to other teams' players until their contract has expired. It's ridiculous you can sign players a year in advance and they still play for their old team.

vCash
    And all the brisbane boys like perth because it is just like brisbane but with better beaches and without the humidity

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    And all the brisbane boys like perth because it is just like brisbane but with better beaches and without the humidity
    But most imortantly, without the Queenslanders

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    but just as many kiwis...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    The other chokers

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    they can forget getting bam bam!! but good signings for the reds, they need all their decent players to hang around and not tempted by the big dollars in europe, both important players for the wallabies in years to come......

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed, although I wonder whether Blake might benefit from a couple of years in Europe learning the dark arts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Agreed, although I wonder whether Blake might benefit from a couple of years in Europe learning the dark arts?

thanks andy, the thing about blake is he's big, but to me he's too immobile, fine in straight lines but thats about it, as for him going to europe i think thats all down to the renewal of his ARU contract....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post

Why would Worst Coke Weagels offer a contract to Bam Bam?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    ...to me he's too immobile, fine in straight lines but thats about it...
    That's always been my feeling as well, but I've occasionally wondered whether he has fallen into the trap of believing the hype about him being the future of the Wallaby scrum (a bit like Fitter before him). If the ARU is prepared to cut his pay, they are presumably prepared to risk him going overseas - maybe a spell in a competition where he is nothing out of the usual could make or break him (Japan would be a disaster all round).

vCash
    yeah i wont be suprised if Blake shoots through, with these new laws his to big and slow, and his scrummaging seems to have dimminished a bit in the past season or two.

The new Reds prop Dayna Edwards seems to be a great scrummager anyway.