Thread: Brumbies return option for Giteau

vCash

Brumbies return option for Giteau

Brumbies return option for Giteau
    March 13, 2008 Brumbies return option for Giteau - Rugby - Fox Sports

JUST when the Brumbies were beginning to resign themselves to seeing their favourite son play out the remainder of his career with Western Force, Matt Giteau has teased hope back to life in Canberra.

As expected, Giteau confirmed yesterday that he had signed an extension to his agreement with the Australian Rugby Union that would commit him to playing in Australia until after the 2011 World Cup.

But what was not expected was the revelation that his contract includes a get-out clause that permits him to consider offers from other Super 14 clubs for the 2010 and 2011 seasons once his present deal with the Force expires at the end of next year.

For "other Super 14 teams ", read "the Brumbies". There is nothing the Waratahs or Reds can offer him that the Force can't match, but not even the well-resourced Perth club can compete with the fact that Canberra is home for Giteau, where his parents, two brothers and sister live.

It's where Giteau began his Super career, playing four seasons with the Brumbies before being lured to Perth by the biggest money deal done for a rugby player in Australia.

"It certainly interests us," said Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher when asked about Giteau's decision not to commit through to 2011 with the Force. "Matt would be the outstanding rugby player in Australia today and we've always been hopeful he'd come home one day.

"And, as you do with good friends, you keep in touch. Our interest hasn't waned at all."

Force officials conceded yesterday they were disappointed that Giteau hadn't formalised his commitment to the club, even if the player insisted he was only ensuring he didn't get too far ahead of himself.

"My mind-set is totally focused on the Force," Giteau said. "A lot of players have those options in their contract, they just don't choose to take them up ... and it's a little further down the track than I wanted to think."

Force officials had been hoping that Giteau re-signing, coming on top of Nathan Sharpe's recent decision to commit to the club, would act as a lure to a large group of Perth players coming off contract, among them Wallabies fullback Cameron Shepherd.

While Shepherd indicated yesterday that Giteau's plans would not directly have an impact on his decision, he clearly is hoping the 25-year-old five-eighth will be around for the long term.

"I guess the whole thing Mitch (coach John Mitchell) is trying to achieve is to get a core group of players together that we can build the team around," Shepherd said. "I don't know what Matt is going to do but we're definitely developing a player group we believe can be dominant in this competition."

Shepherd said the Force was "definitely frontrunners" for his own services, although he does have an English passport. "But that's the lowest of my options," he said.

It would certainly assist Shepherd if Giteau remains in Perth. The brilliant, if self-confessed inconsistent, fullback said one of the secrets of his success has been to trail Giteau on the field on the off-chance, knowing that at some stage he will be put through a gap.

That has changed a little this season and according to Shepherd it's due to the Experimental Law Variations, in particular the tendency of teams to take quick taps from free-kicks.

"I play my best footy when I can chase people like Gits but now, under the ELVs, there's so much off-the-ball work for a fullback to do that when it comes to attack, you're pretty beat," Shepherd said.

"I've reviewed all the Super 14 games and I don't think any of the fullbacks have really shone because of that."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Still think Gits will stay in the West

vCash
    I personally reckon he's thinking of it right now, but not prepared to shut the door on a ridiculous offer at a later date......the fact is he can't earn any more money in the Super 14, so the only other issue would be earlier captaincy.....not in '09 unless Mortlock has retired, G Smith is overlooked and a bunch of loyal servants who didn't seek their fortunes elsewhere are overlooked. or a guarantee of a Wallabies Captaincy (read that he's going to the Waratahs)

I can't see a lot of reason for him to move if the are winning games, and If the :Force: use him properly, they'll keep winning games, so it's really up to his own form...isn't it?

If he's as good and influential as he seems to be, we'll be consistently the best performed Aussie team when his contract rolls around and he'll stay, if he's not the player I believe he is, the pressure will be too much, he'll shatter, the team'll suck and losing him won't be the pain it seems right now.

I'm tipping the former!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I still think Kenya is taking a lend of us three weeks early....

vCash
    Apparently not. But I now think Fox sport is having a lend of us three weeks early.

vCash
    Remember when I said something like this would happen when he didn't re-sign with the Force?

We get screwed over by everyone, with someone as important as Giteau I could see everything coming together to lure him away...what we needed is some hard nose bastards in the Force to get his signature on the paper along side the ARU signature....hell, maybe he'll just follow his mate Henjak...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    ....hell, maybe he'll just follow his mate Henjak...
    Why? Do you know something we don't?

vCash
    He can't follow his mate Henjak, He now has an ARU contract till 2011.......and a contract FOR THE SAME PERIOD with an option at 2009....that's it it's an option, not a refusal to sign.......they're as common as dirt these days, escape clauses that are written into contracts almost by default!

Performance indicators are balanced by match payments, club performance is balanced by an escape clause, playing time conditions, the whole bit!

It's all terribly convoluted and I don't pretend to care, but I do know an option is not a refusal to sign it's a clause in a signed contract!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Hardy wanted longer Giteau deal

12/03/2008 7:33:16 PM
    Chris Pike
    Sportal
    Related Links
    ARU extends Giteau's contract
    Matt Giteau signs on until end of 2011 World Cup

Acting RugbyWA chief executive Mitch Hardy has expressed his disappointment at Matt Giteau's decision to commit to the Western Force only until the end of season 2009.

Giteau inked a new deal on Wednesday which will keep him with the Wallabies past the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand but his contract leaves him with the option to field offers from other Super 14 teams for the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

Hardy said in their bid to keep Giteau they would open negotiations with him again after the November 1 Bledisloe Cup Test in Hong Kong.

"I am a little disappointed that we couldn’t secure his services until 2011, but he's here and playing the best rugby that he ever has," Hardy said.

"He's the world's leading No. 10 (and) will be one of the first picked for the Wallabies, so there's no reason he shouldn’t stay with us going forward."

The positive for the Force is that even if Giteau looks at other offers from the Reds, Brumbies or Waratahs they cannot offer more than the Force has locked in place.

"The contract will roll over after 2009, but if he looks at other offers, they can't offer him more," Hardy said.

"There's contracting protocols in place where there is a maximum amount you can offer and we've used that limit in the deal that is in place."

"It's fantastic news that Matt has committed to Australian rugby until the next World Cup and it's an encouraging sign that our organisation is serious about challenging for a Super 14 title."

The deal ensures that Giteau will be in Perth for five years, but the 25-year-old cannot see himself wanting to leave after that either.

"We are starting to show that we are capable of playing in the finals. That was an exciting thing to think about and I enjoy the lifestyle of Perth and everything it has to offer," Giteau said.

"My sole focus is on the Force and staying in Perth. I really do love the lifestyle and the program we have here at the Force. It is an option in there, but I don’t think I will take it up."

Giteau has no doubt that the Western Force can win a Super 14 title in his time and was certainly encouraged by coach John Mitchell and captain Sharpe being in it for the long haul. As well as that, youngsters such as David Pocock, Richard Brown and Nick Cummins excite him.

"Definitely (we could win a title). You can't go into any season believing you can't win. With Nathan Sharpe and John Mitchell signing on long term, it's a good sign to the club and it will continue to grow and get more successful," he said.

"When I first looked at coming to the Force, John Mitchell spoke about a three-year plan and I genuinely believe in that still. Last year we had big improvement and this year we are hoping to push for the semi-finals."

Sportal > Rugby Union