Thread: CA Brumbies make one change for ‘Canes

vCash

CA Brumbies make one change for ‘Canes

The CA Brumbies have made one change to their squad for their for their Investec Super 14 Week Five fixture against the Hurricanes at Canberra Stadium on Friday night.

Former Australian Schoolboys flyhalf and rookie-contracted Matt Toomua is set to make his Investec Super 14 debut after replacing Schoolboys team mate Afusipa Taumoepeau on the bench.

Toomua, who represented the CA Brumbies in their pre-season trial against the Waratahs, says he’s excited about making his first Investec Super 14 appearance.

“Being only 18 and on a rookie contract I wasn’t expecting to have the opportunity to make my [Super 14] debut this early,” he said. “My goal this year was to continue my rugby development as part of a professional rugby program.

“In saying that, I can’t wait for Friday and I’m very excited about the challenge of making my debut for the Brumbies. I feel very comfortable with the systems we’ve been working on and the rest of the guys have been great.

“They’ve been telling me what a great experience it is to run out in front of a big home crowd at Canberra Stadium and I’m just looking forward to being part of it for myself on Friday night.”

The CA Brumbies pack remains the same with the in-form trio of captain George Smith, Mitchell Chapman and Stephen Hoiles set to face the Hurricanes’ All Black back row of Chris Masoe, Jerry Collins and Rodney So’oialo.

Nic Henderson and Salesi Ma’afu will pack down alongside hooker Saia Faingaa, with Wallaby prop Guy Shepherdson expected to return from a hamstring injury against the Cheetahs on at Canberra Stadium on 21 March.

Fullback Mark Gerrard maintains his role at fullback following two man-of-the-match performances, while Francis Fainifo and try-scoring winger Peter Playford make up the back three. Scrumhalf Patrick Phibbs, flyhalf Christian Lealiifano and centre Tyrone Smith will resume their positions in the inside backs.

CA Brumbies Head Coach Laurie Fisher says the addition of Toomua will provide coverage in the playmaker’s role.

“Matt’s been playing well for the [Brumby] Runners and he gives us a ready-made back-up option at flyhalf,” he said. “He’s a very composed young player with a solid pass and kicking game and he’s developing very well as part of the Brumbies program.”

Fisher says his side will need to continue improving against an experienced Hurricanes outfit.

“The Hurricanes are 3-1 after four matches, we saw what they are capable of in our [pre-season] trial match and we realise what a challenge faces the side on Friday,” he said.

“They have a number of dynamic and explosive ball runners across the park that we have to contain as well as shutting down their ball at every opportunity.

“We realise that our lineout was below par last weekend and it’s vital that we provide clean, reliable set-piece ball to give the side a solid platform to play from.

“We’ve worked hard to remedy that during the week and we’re looking forward to putting it into practice in front of what we’re hoping will be another big and vocal Canberra crowd on Friday night.”

Friday’s match will kick off at 7.40pm.

CA Brumbies v Hurricanes
    Canberra Stadium, Canberra
    Friday, 14 March 2008

1. Nic Henderson
    2. Saia Faingaa
    3. Salesi Ma’afu
    4. Adam Wallace-Harrison
    5. Mark Chisholm
    6. Mitchell Chapman
    7. George Smith (c)
    8. Stephen Hoiles
    9. Patrick Phibbs
    10. Christian Lealiifano
    11. Francis Fainifo
    12. Tyrone Smith
    13. Sanualio Afeaki
    14. Peter Playford
    15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves

16. Huia Edmonds
    17. Ben Alexander
    18. Peter Kimlin
    19. Julian Salvi
    20. Joshua Holmes
    21. Matt Toomua
    22. Tim Wright

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash

Cooper makes four changes

The Hurricanes go back across the Tasman this week to play the Brumbies in Canberra on Friday at 9.40pm NZT, in round five of the 2008 Rebel Sport Super 14.

Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper has made four changes to the starting XV that beat the Highlanders 10-6 in Dunedin last Friday.

The forward pack sees the return from minor injuries of tighthead prop Neemia Tialata (knee) and openside flanker Chris Masoe (back). Tialata re-joins the side for Tim Fairbrother, who plays off the bench, while Masoe comes in for Scott Waldrom who takes his brother Thomas’s place on the pine from the Highlanders match.
    Elsewhere in the front row, Jacob Ellison takes the place of John Schwalger at loosehead prop for his first start for the Hurricanes following his debut off the bench last week, after Schwalger failed to recover from a lower back strain.

In one change to the backs, Cory Jane returns from a hip injury to take up the fullback berth, with Shannon Paku switching to the right wing in place of Ma’a Nonu, who is serving a one-week suspension after being cited for a dangerous tackle against the Highlanders.

Two-time Super 12 champions, the Brumbies have had a mixed start to their 2008 season, wining two and losing two to be seventh on the points ladder, just behind the Hurricanes who are in equal fourth alongside the Waratahs.
    Since the Hurricanes beat them 42-21 in Levin in early February in the final warm-up game for both sides, the Brumbies have lost to the Crusaders 34-3, beaten the Highlanders 22-20, beaten the Reds 43-11 and lost to the Waratahs 24-17. They were defeated by the Tahs last week in Sydney after surrendering a 17-10 halftime lead, the home side eclipsing them with two converted tries.

Their two wins against the Highlanders and the Reds have both been at Canberra Stadium, creating a six-game winning home streak stretching back to the middle of last season, with their last loss in Canberra in round five against the eventual champions, the Bulls.

Last year’s corresponding match between these two sides saw the Hurricanes pip the Brumbies on fulltime in one of the tightest finishes ever to a Super Rugby game at Westpac Stadium. Hurricanes reserve loose forward Thomas Waldrom scored in the corner on fulltime to seal an 11-10 win. This result reversed a 21-16 victory to the Brumbies in 2006 in Canberra.

These two most recent head-to-head results between the Hurricanes and the Brumbies run against the pattern of the eleven previous clashes between the franchises, with Hurricanes v Brumbies matches traditionally high scoring affairs.
    In these eleven encounters, including a semi-final in 1997, a cumulative average of 57 points were scored by both teams and 70 points or more in the match have been scored on three occasions, reflecting the wide-ranging attacking styles of both franchises.

Memorable matches for the Hurricanes against the Brumbies were 1998’s 32-29 win in Canberra, 2001’s 34-19 win in Wellington and 2005’s 49-37 win in Wellington in which the Hurricanes’ backs scored all seven tries, including a hat trick to Nonu.
    The Hurricanes’ top try scorer against the Brumbies is Christian Cullen with eight tries, including six in his four home games against them, while David Holwell, Jonah Lomu, Brent Ward, Lome Fa’atau and Nonu have all touched down at least twice. In all, the Hurricanes have scored 36 tries against the Brumbies, 32 of which have been scored through the backs.

Since the inception of Super Rugby, the Hurricanes have been triumphant on five occasions and the Brumbies eight, including the first three match-ups.
    The Hurricanes team to play the Brumbies at Canberra Stadium is:

1. Jacob Ellison
    2. Andrew Hore
    3. Neemia Tialata
    4. Craig Clarke
    5. Jason Eaton
    6. Jerry Collins
    7. Chris Masoe
    8. Rodney So’oialo ©
    9. Piri Weepu
    10. Jimmy Gopperth
    11. Hosea Gear