Thread: Tahu looking to do a "Cross" against the Crusaders

vCash

Tahu looking to do a "Cross" against the Crusaders

Tahu to be fully fit for centre debut
    Bret Harris | March 11, 2008

Tahu to be fully fit for centre debut | The Australian

A RECYCLING plant in Sydney's western suburbs was an appropriate venue to talk to rugby league convert Timana Tahu about making an old position new again.

Tahu was playing in the centres for NRL team Parramatta Eels when he signed to play with the Waratahs, but he has spent his first three Super 14 games on the wing.

But a potential backline reshuffle could see Tahu playing in his preferred outside centre position in a calculated gamble against the Crusaders in Christchurch on Friday week.

The return from injury of utility backs Sam Norton-Knight and Daniel Halangahu is expected to force changes in the Waratahs' backline. If Norton-Knight starts at fullback, Lachlan Turner would move to the left wing, creating an opportunity for Tahu to play in the No13 jersey for the first time.

The current Waratahs centre combination of Tom Carter and Ben Jacobs is solid, but they lack attacking flair and are too similar.

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie would have noticed that another rugby league convert, Western Force's Ryan Cross, played well at outside centre against the Crusaders in Perth on Sunday.

"Getting selected in the centres would probably be a good thing," said Tahu, who was attending a Waratahs' promotion for team sponsor Visy Recycling. "That's where I wanted to play.

"Benny Jacobs and Tom Carter are playing good football. There's a lot of pressure on us at the moment. Sam Norton-Knight is coming back and Lachie has been playing good at fullback.

"Hopefully, I'll get on the run-on side at least. From there we'll see what Ewen does."

Tahu, who played left centre in rugby league, said he would rather play outside, than inside centre.

"Twelve is more bash and crash and it doesn't really suit my game," Tahu said. "I like getting the ball out wide and try and do things, create stuff, but 13 is more the position." He's obviously been watching Cross.

The reason Tahu started his rugby union career on the wing was to allow him to learn the game before playing in a more demanding role at outside centre.

"It's a lot different," Tahu said. "As a back playing rugby league, if you are playing wing or centre, you get put on one side and you just work that channel whereas in union the wing can float around everywhere. You can play as a 10. You can play as a fullback sometimes.

"There's more thinking and you have to be more versatile."

Tahu is confident of being fit to play the Crusaders after missing the Waratahs' 24-17 win against the Brumbies in Sydney last Friday with a hamstring injury.

"I trained this morning," Tahu said. "I didn't do any running. It was just bike and weights.

"It's feeling good at the moment. I'll run tomorrow. Hopefully, by the Crusaders game I'll be right."

With a history of hamstring injuries in rugby league, Tahu is conscious of treating his current strain with proper care. "They are very delicate the hamstrings," Tahu said.

"It's just something you have to let time heal."

Playing against the unbeaten Crusaders will be the biggest challenge Tahu has faced in his brief rugby career.

"It is a good test to see where we are at," Tahu said. "With the rain we have let ourselves down a little bit and made a few errors. During the Brumbies game we were a bit sloppy, but you couldn't blame them because it was raining pretty heavily.

"Hopefully, if it's a dry track, we can put on a show and give the Crusaders a bit of competition."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I found this lot fairly confused (or confusing)...

"Twelve is more bash and crash and it doesn't really suit my game, I like getting the ball out wide and try and do things, create stuff, but 13 is more the position."

Interesting take on it - he's obviously watched a lot of Union and would rather be an elegant ball runner like Mortlock than a big brutish crashball runner like Giteau...

The reason Tahu started his rugby union career on the wing was to allow him to learn the game..."It's a lot different...the wing can float around everywhere. You can play as a 10. You can play as a fullback sometimes. There's more thinking and you have to be more versatile."

You can see his point then...no chance of trying to do things or creating stuff from wing then, what with all that thinking and requirement for versatility.

All up, looks good for him - four weeks, one injured, and he has it all figured out.

vCash
    Cross took a while to re-ajust. He didn't really start to hit his straps until the Aus A and ARC series. He's on fire at the moment but was copping his fair share of Mungo-bashing around here about a year ago too. Let's not be too critical of what he's reported as having said either. Those bloody journos are great at coaxing the answers they want and if they can't they just misquote anyway. Tahu will become a handy 13 in time. No risk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    ..but was copping his fair share of Mungo-bashing around here about a year ago too.
    We can't help ourselves..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    We can't help ourselves..
    You must like having egg on you face then?

vCash
    Mungo bashing one of your own players? I am shocked and horrified!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    A good player he may well become, but he'd probably be best served keeping his gob shut. They were presented as direct quotes rather than journalistic hearsay and I am comfortable calling any four game veteran on letting crap fall out of his mouth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    You must like having egg on you face then?
    Like I said, can't help meself..something about those mungos..in any case Cross is a little bit different seeing as his background is infact Union so he's been forgiven. Tim Tam, Cost-a-Lote, China and Rogers are/were a different breed and thus fair game.

To be honest (and as I retreat with great haste), I was quite keen when Tim Tam switched over and will be hoping that he is a success.