Poll: Has Mitchell made the right decision with Fava?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fava dropped for alcohol breach

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fava dropped for alcohol breach

Fava dropped for alcohol breach

By Jon Geddes
    February 14, 2006

WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell has dropped his best player, Scott Fava, from the starting side this week after he recorded a blood-alcohol level higher than the team allows the day after a game.

While Fava showed no signs of being affected by alcohol and was fit to train after the Brumbies game last Friday, a compulsory breath test recorded a level higher than the benchmark set for a recovery session.

The hardline policy is part of the strong disciplinary standards Mitchell has set for the new Perth side.

"We like players to enjoy themselves after a game, but there are internal standards that have been set to help with our recovery and our preparation and they have to be met," Mitchell said.

The dynamic forward - who has been selected in the Australia Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games along with fellow Wallabies Lote Tuqiri, Chris Latham and Matt Giteau - had a couple of drinks after the game with his wife and former Brumbies teammates.

"I was part of the unity council that put the standard in place and I'm not shying away from this," Fava said.

"After every game we get breath-tested and it was an oversight on my behalf. I let myself down in a big way."

Fava said the strong action was part of developing a culture for Force.

"It will also help the young guys know this is the policy and don't go outside it or you will be dropped," Fava said.
    He will be on the bench for Saturday's game with the Hurricanes.

The Daily Telegraph

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Heh, according to Kiwi's, Mitchell encourages intake of the amber fluid.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I think many things have changed in Mitchell's world since those alleged to be common place (and denied mind you) in his days with the All Blacks.
    You certainly couldn't in any way accuse him of being distant or difficult with the media in WA, I think he even did a brief inteview at half time didn't he?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd go with the 3rd option followed by "BUT" then the 1st option.

... must have been them dirty brumbies spiking his drinks ...

I would be very interested in knowing what the allowed blood alcohol content is for the day after a game.

Is Fava the "Best" player on the Force?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I may have pick #1 but I have him on my Dream Fantasy Team and he got me 10 points last week so I voted whats's all the fuss about!

I understand you have rules and they should be for everyone, but give the test to some scrub and make an example out of him not someone on my team!

A couple of drinks with his wife after the game and he fails the test the next day? They must of been some really BIG drinks.

Change the rules, they should be tested the day before the game or on game day, not the day after. Is this just a Force policy or the League policy?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder if there was a test before they flew out?
    I know for a fact that at least half of the squad were at a well known pub on Saturday and were having a pretty "happy" time of it!
    I would think that the word following training on Saturday was go enjoy yourself, get Friday night out of the system and now focus on the rest of the season.
    I was very impressed with how close the players were when in public, they have formed a real unit.
    When it comes down to it they are professionals and as Fava has said he helped make the rules.
    Other codes have self enforced total season drinking bans.
    Re testing the day after, that would be linked to sports science results relating to rehab periods post match and being ready to get the most out of their body for the next game.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm afraid in my book, as far as this situation is concerned, the rules are the rules. You can't be seen to be bending rules let alone breaking them at this stage of the teams development. I admire the big man for this decision, not that it should have been difficult. If you want to develop a culture then this is the time to do it.

Go The Force....but take it easy on the sauce!

Just happy to be here

vCash

Right thing to do

I think its a good thing. Setting the standard for all players and building the culture that has been spoken so much about.

On top of that we have good depth at 8 and giving Davidson or Pusey some game experience now is a good thing because we are going to need them to step up when Fava is away at Commonwealth games for 2 weeks.

vCash
    Rules are rules and shouldn't be bent to accomodate anyone. And since he was on the panel that created that rule then shame on him....

Fava as our best player? I haven't seen a replay of the game yet so I can't comment on that one. At the game on friday the emotions dictated everything so some things about the night are a bit blury. Tried to watch the replay on Sat morn but was my youngest's second birthday so had other things to do.

I really think that a win this weekend is not quite beyond us but will be very difficult indeed, so losing Fava for this weeks game should keep him refreshed for other games that we might have a better chance in.

Burgs - are you prepared to name or give a hint to the name of the pub they went to? 8)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    All I'd say Mambo is it isn't so much a pub that they would go to but a pub that I would go to.
    PM me if you are going to start guessing as I think it would be unfair to the boys to blab too much.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Going on the new ABC report it would seem to me it is a very conservative level, possably 0.02.
    Most minesites work on a 0.00 policy so it isn't unheard of in working environments to have policies lower than legal levels.

vCash
    Fair play to the squad for setting the rules and for him in taking it on the chin...just glad these sort of ideas weren't in the coaching manuals when I was playing or I think I might have missed more games than I played.

vCash
    let him drink for christ sake.... he got the histroy making try he deserves some slack

if he wasnt affected or showed any sign of intoxication LET HIM PLAY!!!!!!

who cares what a little machine said

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    its not like he wasnt aware of what the standard was. Your a new team and you have to show a standard for the City and state you are based it. I think big wraps should go to the Force and managament for this.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_the_pom
    let him drink for christ sake.... he got the histroy making try he deserves some slack

if he wasnt affected or showed any sign of intoxication LET HIM PLAY!!!!!!

who cares what a little machine said
    Well done, you never fail to amuse me........are you for real?

Just happy to be here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast