Thread: Sharpe, Hoiles stay loyal to Wallabies

vCash

Sharpe, Hoiles stay loyal to Wallabies

Sharpe, Hoiles stay loyal to Wallabies
    Bret Harris and Wayne Smith | March 04, 2008

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

WALLABIES second-rower Nathan Sharpe will sign a three-year deal with the ARU and Western Force today, while Test and Brumbies number eight Stephen Hoiles is close to finalising a two-year contract.

Sharpe, 30, has rejected lucrative offers from overseas to remain in Australia for a chance to play in the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

Sharpe's retention is important given his Test second-row partner Dan Vickerman has decided to head overseas at the end of the year.

Sharpe and Vickerman have been the Wallabies' second-row combination for the past four years and are two of the best lineout forwards in world rugby.

Hoiles has not explored overseas opportunities, but it is almost certain he would have had he been excluded from the Wallabies' World Cup plans.

The ARU values Hoiles highly and he has shown why with two outstanding performances for the Brumbies against the Highlanders and Queensland Reds.

Hoiles will re-sign towards the end of this week or early next week.

It would be nice timing for Hoiles to re-sign before the Brumbies play his old team, the Waratahs, in Sydney on Friday when he opposes incumbent Test number eight Wycliff Palu.

"It's close to being settled," Hoiles said. "I didn't bother to look overseas.

"Like everyone, I was very disappointed with the World Cup and I was disappointed I was only a bench player. I thought I would hang around. It's exciting times. A new coach (Robbie Deans) and new ideas. I want to be a part of it for another couple of years at least."

Hoiles said the Brumbies were bracing themselves for a harder clash against the Waratahs than what they had against the Reds where they finished shock 32-point winners.

"I don't think we expected to blow (the Reds) away," Hoiles said.

"We played well, but this week will be even harder."

Waratahs fullback Lachlan Turner is confident of recovering from a shoulder injury to play against the Brumbies.

Reds coach Phil Mooney said every position in the team was up for grabs following the team's 43-11 loss to the Brumbies in Canberra last Saturday.

"We have looked at changes and some will be made," Mooney said of the team to face the Stormers in Brisbane on Saturday.

"After a performance like last weekend, every position is under scrutiny. You'd have to say the performance of both the backs and the forwards was disappointing and we'll be looking at both areas."

Mooney has to make two enforced changes with winger Digby Ioane suspended for three weeks for a dangerous tackle and inside centre Chris Siale sidelined with a hamstring injury.

Brando Va'aulu is expected to replace Ioane on the wing, while outside centre Morgan Turinui is likely to move to inside centre. In that event, Peter Hynes would probably start at No13.

Whatever changes Mooney makes, the Reds will have to improve significantly on their woeful performance against the Brumbies to beat the Stormers.

While the Stormers have dropped their first three games to the Bulls, Sharks and Crusaders, they are a better team than their last position indicates.

"The Stormers have played the top three teams," Mooney said. "Their position on the ladder is deceptive."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What they dont put in this article is anything that might seem remotly how good things are in the West...

from the complete press release from RugbyWA

Sharpe said continuing to play a major role in the growth of the Emirates Western Force was a key factor in his decision to continue his career in the West.

“We’ve got a very exciting young squad at the Force and captaining the side and playing a role in developing the culture and direction of the team was a huge factor in my decision to extend for three more years.

During that time I believe the team has the potential to become a dominant team in the (Super 14) competition,” he said.

Sharpe, who was born in country NSW and spent the majority of his life in Queensland, said he and his young family were enthusiastic about extending their stay in the WA Capital.

“The lifestyle in Perth is fantastic and my wife (Jess) and my 18-month-old son Cooper have settled in really well. Perth is definitely home for us now and we’re looking forward to the next three years here,” he said.

“Rugby isn’t their first choice sport here in Perth but we’ve got some incredibly passionate fans at the Western Force and the community has been very welcoming and supportive of family since we arrived,” he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    What they dont put in this article is anything that might seem remotly how good things are in the West...
    Well we can't have the medias view of WA being the belly of depravity and a terrible place to be proved wrong now can we...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't know I read the Foxsports, Rugbyheaven and Rugby365 articles about Sharpie re-signing and they had a fair bit of positive spin on it (surprisingly from Rugby Heaven) certainly with only little mention of past indiscretions. If you are in need of a good laugh have a read on Rugby 365 about the Lions' fly-half concerns some quality journalism there....

vCash
    Well Sharpie the pleasure is all ours.Heres to you mate