Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bledisloe cup match in hong kong november 2008/ four bledisloe cup games this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    The main stadium in Hong Kong holds about 40 000 people.
    Bloody hypocrites at the ARU.....they've said previously that a Bledisloe Cup would only ever be played in a 60,000+ stadium (which is why Perth has never been in the running until our lovely new fancy, all singing/dancing/sport-friendly stadium is ready in 2031).

Can't believe that they've sold their soul like this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    How much money does the ARU stand to make from this test? Surely the IRB played a part in this to make it happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    How much money does the ARU stand to make from this test? Surely the IRB played a part in this to make it happen
    $5 mil is what I've read. The NZ and HK unions stand to do very well out of this too. I'd be surprised if the IRB had much to do with it actually - I think this was organised along commercial lines.

It may sound strange but this match is actually all about Europe. Developing the game in Asia is just a tie-in bonus to the ARU (I'm happy with that - this isn't communism...).

The situation is that the European clubs have access to huge economies that we simply don't have, and it will only get worse. For instance, the English Premiership has doubled its revenue in just the last 18 months and, while Southern Hemisphere players used to go over at the end of their careers, they are now going over in their primes. This could start having a devastating effect on our national teams in future years and I'm not sure we didn't already start seeing this with the All Blacks at the last World Cup.

Australia and New Zealand, understandably, want to stop it from getting worse. They need to generate extra revenue from somewhere and they see tapping the much larger economies in Asia and North America as perhaps the only way to do this... And don't think that European rugby isn't already eyeing off the same markets. So yes, whether you agree with it or not, 40 000 in Hong Kong is different to 40 000 in Perth.

vCash
    They have a rectangular stadium as well (i think)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    The main stadium in Hong Kong holds about 40 000 people.

The main stadium in Perth holds more than that! Why don't we get a Bled Cup match?

C'mon the

vCash
    Because the other major stadiums in Australia hold more then Subiaco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'll be interested to see how much interest they actually generate. The money must be based on television rights, as $10M (I'm assuming both teams would be getting $5M) would be an average of $250 per seat and I don't see that growing much support. Aussies and Kiwis would watch it regardless of where it is played, so someone in TV thinks this will have an appeal somewhere it didn't before...

vCash
    Maybe there's a Hong Kong equivalent of Eventscorp that's paying them too?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Bloody hypocrites at the ARU.....they've said previously that a Bledisloe Cup would only ever be played in a 60,000+ stadium (which is why Perth has never been in the running until our lovely new fancy, all singing/dancing/sport-friendly stadium is ready in 2031).

Can't believe that they've sold their soul like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    The main stadium in Perth holds more than that! Why don't we get a Bled Cup match?
    You guys keep forgetting this is Perth, not some favoured place or a pot of gold like Melbourne or Hong Kong?
    It goes back to my post about having a Super 14 team in Melbourne - won't happen because a lighting raid can produce big bucks!!!
    We have the Force let's be thankful and work on getting a regular test in a rectangular stadium or we can RIOT!! RIOT!! RIOT!! until we get a Bledisloe... who's with me?

Last edited by no.8; 05-03-08 at 10:38.
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I'll be interested to see how much interest they actually generate. The money must be based on television rights, as $10M (I'm assuming both teams would be getting $5M) would be an average of $250 per seat and I don't see that growing much support. Aussies and Kiwis would watch it regardless of where it is played, so someone in TV thinks this will have an appeal somewhere it didn't before...
    With corporate boxes and other 'package' deals you'd be surprised how high the average ticket price can get. Just checked the Adelaide 7's and to go to the 2nd day in the hospitality area is $410 for the day. I suspect that seats in HK will go for quite a bit of money as it is only a one off test and would draw big interest from anyone remotely interested in Rugby over there. I agree though, the money probably includes TV revenue and might just be a guaranteed amount. IE if they make more then the teams get more.

vCash

Hong Kong test will sap rugby's spiritual soul

Forgive me for not doing hand-springs at the prospect of an "historic" first Bledisloe Cup rugby exhibition match in Hong Kong.

The Chinese city-state already has festival footie in the form of the Hong Kong sevens.

Full marks, I guess, to the respective rugby unions for their entrepreneurial zeal.

But staging an All Blacks-Wallabies test outside New Zealand and Australia smacks of a selling of the sport's spiritual soul.

There is a case to be made for the fact that the punters in this part of the globe have had their rugby fill.

But the fatigue factor applies more to the Super 14 and the under-strength Air New Zealand Cup. Kiwi crowds generally clamour to see the All Blacks despite steep admission prices and the dubious allure of night-time rugby in midwinter in the South Island.

On my treks across the Tasman I haven't noticed too many empty seats in stadiums for Bledisloe Cup matches – apart from a brief exodus when John Williamson warbles that execrable Waltzing Matilda. That is where those puke yellow scarves come in handy – for stuffing in eardrums to muffle the insidious sound.

New Zealand cities jockey to host A-level rugby test matches. Christchurch and Wellington generally get one a season. Dunedin is lucky to get one every other year with Carisbrook in such a dilapidated condition.

We do not get to see enough of our All Blacks as it is. The top-liners hardly play in the national provincial competition, so, at best, they might play up to 15 test matches and Super 14 games in New Zealand each year.

Contrast that with premier league footballers around the globe who can play up to 60 matches a season.

NZRU chief executive Steve Tew says the Hong Kong match will "make history and help promote rugby in a part of the world where it is developing quickly".

That might wash were the match to be held in Japan – the developing rugby nation New Zealand pinched the 2011 Rugby World Cup from.

Japan is the only nation in Asia where rugby has more than a tenuous toe-hold.

The state-run communication channels may be to blame, but I have not heard of millions taking up the 15-man game in China. Footballers and basketballer Yao Ming are sporting idols there while Dan Carter and Matt Giteau have hardly been heard of.

At least Australian Rugby Union chief John O'Neill is talking to Japanese officials about taking a test to Tokyo.

If the NZRU was truly interested in promoting rugby in parts of the world where it is developing quickly, why then have the All Blacks never played an official test in Fiji, Samoa or Tonga despite benefiting hugely from the Pacific Islands diaspora to New Zealand?

Yes, the NZRU and Australian Rugby Union have to maximise their revenue. They are up against cash-rich rugby nations in the northern hemisphere.

A Hong Kong match represents a multi-million dollar boost for both unions.

By all means play England in Hong Kong, where there remains a sizeable English expatriate community. That would, at least, make it more meaningful. But All Blacks-Australia matches are as dinky-di an antipodean product as pavlova. They are not for export.

I agree with Tony Smith somewhat!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    I recall reading somewhere that rugby has been adopted as the 'official' sport for the People's Liberation Army. With a standing force of 2 million, you'd have to call it something of a 'growth sport' in China. At least compared to Aust/NZ...

Maybe this is part of the thinking? It would interesting to know what coverage the game receives in mainland China.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    It would interesting to know what coverage the game receives in mainland China.
    About as much as it gets in Indonesia! That's why the original idea of staging a match in mainland China was very quickly ditched in favour of Hong Kong.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    If the NZRU was truly interested in promoting rugby in parts of the world where it is developing quickly, why then have the All Blacks never played an official test in Fiji, Samoa or Tonga despite benefiting hugely from the Pacific Islands diaspora to New Zealand?

Im gobsmacked. Take out the non Maori from the All Blacks, they look suss.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Rookie
    vCash
    Personally i reckon Twickenham deserves a Bledisloe Cup match ahead of Subi!

If i can get a cheap flight from London I might hit up Hong Kong!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast