Thread: Mixed fortunes in Holmes camp

vCash

Mixed fortunes in Holmes camp

Mixed fortunes in Holmes camp

By Bret Harris
    February 29, 2008

WHILE Western Force hooker Luke Holmes is celebrating his Super 14 run-on debut against the Lions in Johannesburg early Saturday, he is commiserating with his younger brother Josh, who has been demoted to the Brumbies' bench.

A foundation member of the Force, Holmes made his first appearance off the bench in the last round of 2006 and has waited another two years to wear the No.2 jersey.
    Along with props Gareth Hardy and Troy Takiari, Holmes will form the third different starting front row combination for the Force in as many games this season.

"I'm really excited. This is a massive opportunity for me," Holmes said.

"It's been a long wait, but I've been pretty lucky to have such good mentors like Tai McIsaac and Brendan Cannon. Hopefully, all the hard work has paid off."

The Holmes family will have mixed emotions after half-back Josh was relegated to the reserves for the Brumbies' match with Queensland in Canberra on Saturday night.

"I think that's a bit of a rotation thing, similar to what we are doing at the Force," Holmes said.

"I'm sure you'll see Josh in the game and back next week." The decision to start Holmes ahead of McIsaac was part of coach John Mitchell's plan to utilise his full squad on the three-game South African tour.

In yet another reshuffle of the back row, Mitchell has awarded Matt Hodgson his first starting berth of the season at openside flanker, while Tamaiti Horua will start his first match for the Force at No.8.

Mitchell has made several positional changes in the backline after Wallaby Cameron Shepherd's return from a knee injury.

Shepherd will take over the full-back position from last week's man of the match Drew Mitchell, who returns to the left wing.

Scott Staniforth and Ryan Cross have also been reunited in the midfield.

"Shep trained well yesterday and the medical and S and C (strength and conditioning) team have done a really good job to get him ready," Mitchell said.

"We're hoping to get Scott Staniforth to start the race with a knocked knee, but at this stage he's in the starting line-up."

Mitchell has retained the halves combination of James Stannard and Matt Giteau, which means new half-back Chris O'Young has been left out because of the five forwards/two backs split on the bench.

The Lions are the only South African side yet to be beaten by the Force, having played out a 34-all draw in 2006 and winning by a point in Perth last year.

The Australian

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    I think Mitch is being very clever here.....He's almost treating this tour like a pre-season comp....everyone gets a run, and we'll pick the best of you for the 'Saders at home. Gets everyone fit, gives everyone a chance to show what they've got, and most importantly sends a real message about earning your spot this year.....Motivation will be high this week, and even higher next week when the team picked know they've got a spot to lose now!

C'mon the

vCash
    i still am waiting for lachie to play

vCash
    Might if stanner pulls out but who knows they seemed to like daruda last week

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goony View Post
    If Spanner palys and Chucka needs a break it will be Gits 9, Lachie 10 and Daruda/Spanner 12 IMHO

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Everyone except Lackie - really really want him to break his Hoodoo

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I still thought Daruda was great at 12....He'd get my vote with a lack of Spanner!

I'm more worried that Shep might be dodgy still...we need the extra finishing we get with Drew and Nicky on the outside!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goony View Post
    me too!