Thread: Mortlock re-signs with ARU

vCash

Thumbs up Mortlock re-signs with ARU

Mortlock re-signs with ARU

By Jim Morton
    February 28, 2008
    AUSTRALIA captain Stirling Mortlock has turned his back on a massive Japanese offer to re-sign with the Australian Rugby Union and Brumbies for the next two years.

It's understood Mortlock signed a new deal on Wednesday, which will keep him in Australia until the end of 2010.

The major signing, which ensures the powerful centre will play for at least three seasons under new Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, is set to be announced in Sydney this afternoon.

It was feared Mortlock would be lost to Japan in the face of a reportedly astronomical offer which came months after he skippered the Wallabies to the quarter-finals at the 2007 World Cup.

But it's believed the ARU produced a significant contract package to keep the father of three, who is currently recovering from shoulder surgery.

The 30-year-old took over the Australia captaincy from George Gregan at the end of 2006 and matured in the role last year when he was the star of the Wallabies' Tri-Nations campaign.

Mortlock was keen to speak to the newly-appointed Deans, the first foreigner to coach Australia, before he decided upon his future.

His re-signing is also a massive boost for the Brumbies who are undergoing transitional change following the departures of several veterans including Gregan, Stephen Larkham and Jeremy Paul.

Captain Mortlock is scheduled to return to action in five to six weeks for the injury-riddled Brumbies the Super 14.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Good on him for re-signing. Are the ARU keen on keeping him for the 2011 RWC??

On the other hand i hope the ARU didn't basicly give him the keys to the vault, plenty of quality centres over here

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Good news for the Brumbies and Wallabies - I hope he gets what he's worth.
    maybe a little less than Gits - because he's great leadership material.

vCash
    Alot of agreeing today from my end. With you on that one Jargan.

I don't understand, if they want to hold on to him till the next WC, why is the extension til 2010 and not season end 2011. Perhaps they are simplying hedging on the possibility that in 2 years they would have identified a successor to the throne and if not, they could easily convince him to stay on for one last hoorah?

I remember a time (back in Kenya ofcourse) when a 20-something year old centre became a 30-something year old prop. Ah, gone are the days..

vCash
    MORTLOCK RESIGNS WITH ARU

By Jim Morton
    February 28, 2008 AUSTRALIA captain Stirling Mortlock has turned his back on a massive Japanese offer to re-sign with the Australian Rugby Union and Brumbies for the next two years.

Mortlock, who will now remain in Australia until at least the end of 2010, said the deal was likely to be his last as a professional player.

“This was a significant decision for me and my family,” the long-serving outside centre with 63 Test caps and 99 Super appearances for the Brumbies said.

“We’ve taken our time to deliberate because there’s every chance this contract will see me out as a player.

“I was always keen to stay in Australia.

“Obviously there was interest from overseas and that can always present a new challenge, but I’m just really happy to say I’m now committed to playing in Australia until the end of 2010."

It was feared Mortlock would be lost to Japan in the face of a reportedly astronomical offer which came months after he skippered the Wallabies to the quarter-finals at the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

But the ARU produced a significant contract package to keep the father of three, who is currently recovering from shoulder surgery.

“One of the significant factors for me, from a playing perspective, was to be part of Australian rugby’s next generation," Mortlock said.

"Helping to bring through the extraordinary talent we are developing in our ranks is an exciting opportunity.

“So, too, is the prospect of playing under new Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

“I couldn’t be happier about extending my contract for a further two years.”

The 30-year-old took over the Australia captaincy from George Gregan at the end of 2006, and who matured in the role last year when he was the star of the Wallabies' Tri-Nations campaign.

His re-signing is also a massive boost for the Brumbies who are undergoing transitional change following the departures of several veterans including Gregan, Stephen Larkham and Jeremy Paul.

Mortlock is scheduled to return to action for the injury-riddled Brumbies in five to six weeks time.

AAP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep View Post
    Good news for the Brumbies and Wallabies - I hope he gets what he's worth.
    maybe a little less than Gits - because he's great leadership material.
    He didn't show good leadership in the game against England in the WC...

vCash
    a good signing all round, a bit harsh there bread! a lot of players didn't come to the party against england, mortlock wasn't the only one.......

vCash
    Personally, I would have waited until he'd proved that he'd got over his injury before resigning him.....does this mean that if he doesn't play again (or does play & gets re-injured.....he is getting a bit long in the tooth, after all) that the ARU has to pay him out his full contract?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    a good signing all round, a bit harsh there bread! a lot of players didn't come to the party against england, mortlock wasn't the only one.......
    We need to find a captain that inspires the team and in that game he should have told the boys to pull thier socks up and get into it....he spends too much time whinging to the ref....his play is good but I don't think he should be captain...

vCash
    george gregan has spent years winging at refs and i still rate him, on that day our front row got smashed, this isnt school rugby were taking about here do honestly expect the captain of any nation to walk up to his front row and say "pull your socks up and get in to it ?"

vCash
    But gregan had the ability to pump ther players up whereas i dont see mortlock as a motivator compared to previous captains

vCash
    Well I'm glad he's staying!!!!

vCash
    he's staying? hell yes YAY woop. he's THE best wallaby in my opinion

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force