Thread: Force win Thriller in Bloemfontein

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Talking Force win Thriller in Bloemfontein

An 84th minute penalty goal from Matt Giteau has given the Emirates Western Force a 16-15 victory over a gallant Cheetahs side in Bloemfontein this morning (WA time).

The Cheetahs had a chance to seal the victory in the 80th minute, but Conrad Barnard’s kick for goal missed to the right. The WA side returned the kick from the in-goal and marched 80 metres before an infringement gave Giteau the chance to seal a memorable victory.

The Cheetahs opened the scoring in the sixth minute when fullback Hennie Daniller scored in the corner. His converted try was followed moments later by a Matt Giteau special which levelled the scores at 7-all in the ninth minute.

A penalty goal from Giteau gave his side a 10-7 lead, but a try to Cheetahs flanker Heinrich Brussow ensured the Cheetahs led 12-10 at the break.

The teams traded penalty goals as the Cheetahs continued to defend their line with good effect. The Cheetahs finished the game with 118 tackles made, while the visitors made just 50.

The late drama gave the Emirates Western Force side the perfect ending to a torrid week.

Drew Mitchell was in great form at fullback, while James Stannard was effective in his first start at halfback. Captain Nathan Sharpe and his deputy Giteau were outstanding throughout.

The Emirates Western Force will now play the Lions in Johannesburg next Friday night (South African time).

6th Min: Try to the Cheetahs scored by Hennie Daniller. Jacques-Louis Potgeiter converts. Cheetahs lead 7-0.

9th Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Matt Giteau. Giteau converts. 7-all.

18th Min: Penalty goal to the Emirates Western Force kicked by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 10-7.

29th Min: Try to the Cheetahs scored by Heinrich Brussow. Not converted. Cheetahs lead 12-10.

HALF TIME: Emirates Western Force 10 Cheetahs 12

55th Min: Penalty goal to the Emirates Western Force kicked by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 13-12.

63rd Min: Penalty to the Cheetahs kicked by Conrad Barnard. Cheetahs lead 15-13.

84th Min: Penalty goal to the Emirates Western Force kicked by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 16-15.

FULL TIME: Emirates Western Force 16 Cheetahs 15

Emirates Western Force 16 (Giteau try, con, 3 pens)
    Cheetahs 15 (Daniller, brussow tries; Potgeiter con, Barnard pen)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    so chucky played well?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    As Ric Flair would say, Wooooooooo!!!!!

and now for the thriller bit...

Last edited by blueandblack; 23-02-08 at 10:24.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc View Post
    so chucky played well?
    As I said in an earlier post he was pretty great. Never brilliant but no real mistakes either. Really reliable and just what you need in a game after so much moving about of players and off-field dramas.

vCash
    You little ripper!!! Well done boys!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    To be the man, you gotta beat the man

Chucky had a solid game Pruc! He's gonna be good

vCash
    I"m pretty bloody glad it wasn't Gits' face that got punched....love how he scores all our points...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Squeaked through in the 81st minute.

A never say die attitude that will see the Force in the semis

vCash
    There was never any thoughts of the Force losing
    GO THE FORCE

Senior Player
    vCash
    What a game

Cheers for the $28 as well boys!

Won it on the Force trailing at half time, win at full time.

Giteau was simply unreal. Well worth sleep deprivation

vCash
    Force should really have had it sewn up earlier, however the cheetahs has improved significantly in the last two years and Force have had their own problems. Hopefully Cameron Shepherd will be back on the field soon.

Was is just me or did Foxtel provide a blank screen for the 30 seconds before the last penalty (I watched the 9.30 am replay) for others too? Well timed Foxtel, what can I say?

My 4 year old daughter now knows a couple of words I hope she can forget quickly.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    Was is just me or did Foxtel provide a blank screen for the 30 seconds before the last penalty (I watched the 9.30 am replay) for others too? Well timed Foxtel, what can I say?
    Yes!!! My god talk about an agonising wait! I was sure it was all over. Made it all the better when I saw the penalty had been awarded though And then he slotted it!!!

Senior Player
    vCash

Cool

With the territory and possession we had, notwithstanding the tenacious defence of the Cheetahs, we should not have been in that position. We were in the red zone many a time but just could not strike the killer blows (as say a Crusaders side or the Brumbies of old might). Still, our patience is better this year and we are more than happy to build the phases.
    Sometimes I think we lack creativity in attack and the new laws mean that defence is crucial, and defensive lines have performed like those in rugby league. We need to break down the opposition defensive structure by more than just the pick-and-drive or one-out runner. I like Cross' little grubbers behind and chip kicks used astutely. We can't be too ponderous at the breakdown - the Kiwi sides will murder us with their counter-rucking...
    All up though a great win, esp in the republic. The new boys did well - I am hugely impressed by Cummins (even with the knock on!), Wykes and Holmes have presence and pace, Hockings is playing true to the raps Mitch has given him, and yes, Chucky was great! And the usual suspects played well too - Drew Mitchell, Brown, Sharpie and Spanner. Then of course there is Gits....
    5 points from Joburg next! Go Force!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Ric Flair sucks

Chucky played well, Drew had a great game. I was pleased how we built the phases, all we need this week is that last pass to stick or not make handling error or give away a free kick............hmmmmmmm thats rugby in general i think. You'll get my point

Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post

My 4 year old daughter now knows a couple of words I hope she can forget quickly.

hahahaha who was the inspiration for those words