Thread: The Race is on for the Championship and Triple Crown

vCash

The Race is on for the Championship and Triple Crown

This is from Planet Rugby and seems reasonably balanced compared to most of the sites I go to (wonder why ?)

The race for the Six Nations - WHO will WIN
    Tuesday 26th February 2008

If a week is a long time in politics, then in the rugby world it equates to about four months - and a lot can happen in that space of time. Just look at the Six Nations table and you will see what I mean.

Four months ago Wales were seemingly at rock bottom, dumped out of the World Cup by Fiji, struggling to play cohesive and meaningful rugby and eventually without a coach - and not without good reason. Four months on and they are sat atop of the Six Nations table eyeing a second Grand Slam in four years, how times change.

Thanks to England's heroic effort in Paris on Saturday Wales are now the only team with a shot at the Grand Slam, albeit a rather tough one. Ireland away followed by France at home will provide the sternest of tests for Gatland and co. Not that they have had it easy thus far but with Ireland hinting at a return to their best and France a wounded animal it will take two fine efforts from Wales to reach the promised land.

Playing first on Saturday allowed Wales to lay down the challenge to France, who due to French television rights did not play until 21:00 - a time more suited to digestives and after dinner coffees, not eighty minutes of full-blooded Test match rugby.

A tricky first half aside, Wales were hardly tested by the Azzurri, who crumbled under minimal pressure. If Nick Mallett wasn't already aware he will now know he faces a devil's job in changing his adopted country's fading fortunes. Their driving maul couldn't even reap a meaningful reward in Cardiff, instead they had to rely on a Welsh mistake at the line-out for their only try.

Wales on the other hand turned in a stellar half of rugby, albeit against a fading Italian side who seemed to give in once the game was settled. It must be a tall order to fight so valiantly week after week only to come up short time and again, it can't be healthy for the human spirit. Mallett must keep reminding his troops they still have Scotland to come otherwise the future could look very bleak indeed.

On to Croke Park where Scotland were in action themselves, if you can call what they do on a rugby field action. There just doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel for Frank Hadden - not even the first try in four games for his side roused him from a dejected slumber. On the other hand Eddie O'Sullivan finally had reason for cheer but opted for his usual stoic look instead as Ireland turned on the style in the second half.

One must wonder where the Irish backs have been the last few months, unable to string together a simple move one day and full of reverse passes and wonderful soft hands the next. No wonder O'Sullivan isn't smiling yet - he first wants to make sure it is not a flash in the pan before he affords himself a smile.

If Ireland's second-half performance was a flash in the pan - not that I am saying it was - then England's victory in Paris most certainly was. Those who believe otherwise are only kidding themselves, England simply produced a superb one-off display, as all teams are capable of doing, and now the entire nation thinks all is well. How wrong they are.

The fact England managed to beat France with fourteen players makes their achievements even more remarkable. For despite being on the field Iain Balshaw contributed nothing to England's cause, in fact he did more to help France than he did his own team. Not for the first time you could see the disgust on Toby Flood's face as he covered yet another Balshaw error. One begins to wonder what he is doing so well to stay in the team.

As much as I admired how well England played, especially Jonny Wilkinson, I can't help but think back to their last two performances (Wales and Italy). If it takes two shockers to produce a display of that nature then England fans are in for a sad finish to the Six Nations. Although on that logic they can look forward to beating New Zealand in Auckland!

A team of true class doesn't just show up for the big games, which is sadly what England have been doing for the last year. There were positives, Richard Wigglesworth at scrum-half, Jonny Wilkinson's boot and a spirited forward display. But as much as you focus on them there is the French factor to consider, and the fact they did not perform for the bulk of the game.

What this weekend's results mean is that the Six Nations is wide open again, with Wales, France, Ireland and England all chasing glory. The question is: Who will win the Six Nations?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    They had better give the old trophy cabinet a good dusting.

War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Coach, this weekends Six Nations fixtures are not on the RHS menu yet??

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    yeah i noticed that might help Jargan to get the match time right this time

vCash
    oh nice one badger there are no games this week.

next match is Wales and Ireland on the 8th march a nice early one too.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger84 View Post
    oh nice one badger there are no games this week.

next match is Wales and Ireland on the 8th march a nice early one too.
    My fault, I though there were games this week, must be just how the press reads.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Wales are looking good, but we've said that before.
    Fantastic that Gatlin's guns have turned it around and are now playing great football.
    France and Ireland can on their day upset the apple cart.
    Pleasingly Italy seem to be able to muscle up - except when it come Wales, which tells a story of it's own?!
    My money is not on Scotland or England despite some improvement of their form.
    Cwyru gets my vote as six nations champions!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by no.8 View Post
    Cwyru gets my vote as six nations champions!
    Cwyru?? lol

mate your welsh is worse than mine and i can't even speak it!

don't worry No.8 it is the strangest language in the world

Go Cymru

vCash
    c'mon the ospreys!!! and their two mates.......

vCash
    I told you there were no games this weekend badger

Although you were pretty faced when i told you that on saturday night

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I told you there were no games this weekend badger

Although you were pretty faced when i told you that on saturday night
    what do you mean i had only about 8 pints