Thread: Stannard to make most of filling the gap left by Henjak's departure

vCash

Stannard to make most of filling the gap left by Henjak's departure

BOILERMAKER James Stannard is under no illusions his Super 14 hot seat just got hotter with the Western Force swiftly replacing the disgraced Matt Henjak with Chris O'Young.

Stannard, an unknown fly-half in the local Perth competition a year ago, will cap a whirlwind ride when he starts at half-back in Henjak's place against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.

But it's likely to be just a stop-gap for one game as O'Young jets into South Africa from Scotland to join the Force after signing a new three-year contract.

Ironically, O'Young left the Force nine months ago to play for the Glasgow Warriors in the Magners League after finding his path blocked by Henjak.

The 26-year-old's move prompted the Perth-based club to transform Academy player Stannard from a five-eighth to a half-back where he cut his teeth under Henjak.

As Australian Rugby Union executives and lawyers pored over tribunal documents following Rugby WA's decision to sack Henjak for breaking teammate Haig Sare's jaw, Stannard was flying to Bloemfontein for the match early tomorrow morning.

"It's all fallen into place," he said. "I'm a little bit nervous but more excited than anything. I'll give it my best shot."

The ARU is tomorrow expected to ratify the termination of Henjak's contract that was due to expire this year.

Coach John Mitchell yesterday broke his silence on the incident, which left Sare's jaw broken and Henjak's career in tatters after a drinking session. "It was a timely reminder to everyone at the club that the team comes first … the team is more important than individual talents," he said.

"For a few weeks there people forgot to care for everyone and until you care for everyone in your group you won't play for each other and great things won't happen. They let the group down and they let each other down."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    boilermaker?!

it would be thowing all those white hot rivets around that gives him such good hands LMAO

i actualy recon he'll do well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by antiussentiment; 22-02-08 at 08:07. Reason: 2nd thoughts
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc