Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force go Down in Season Opener

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Western Force go Down in Season Opener

The Emirates Western Force have been beaten 17-10 by the Sharks in their round one Investec Super 14 clash in Durban this morning (WA time).

Stand-in skipper Matt Giteau, leading the side in the absence of the ill Nathan Sharpe, ran the game with aplomb, and with support from standout performers Drew Mitchell, Cameron Shepherd, debutant Nick Cummins and Scott Fava, almost pinched the game in the final 20 minutes

A penalty goal from Cameron Shepherd gave the WA side an early lead, but the Sharks scored a converted try soon after to take a 7-3 lead at half time.

The Sharks extended their lead to 14-3 when Stefan Terblanche crashed over in the 52nd minute. Luke Holmes finished off some great work by Scott Staniforth and Matt Giteau to score his maiden Super Rugby try in the 65th minute, and at 14-10 the game was in the balance.

A monster 60m penalty goal from Francois Steyn in the 76th minute gave the Sharks a 17-10 cushion, and, despite a few close calls in the dying stages, that’s the way the scoreboard finished.

19th Min – Penalty goal to the Emirates Western Force kicked by Cameron Shepherd. 3-0.
    26th Min – Try to the Sharks scored by Jacques Botes. Converted by Ruan Pienaar. Sharks lead 7-3

HALF TIME – Emirates Western Force 3 Sharks 7

52nd Min – Try to the Sharks scored by Stefan Terblanche. Converted by Pienaar. Sharks lead 14-3.
    65th Min – Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Luke Holmes. Converted by Matt Giteau. Sharks lead 14-10.
    76th Min – Penalty goal for the Sharks kicked by Francois Steyn. Sharks lead 17-10.

FULL TIME: Emirates Western Force 10 Sharks 17

Emirates Western Force 10 (Holmes try; Giteau con, Shepherd pen)

Sharks 17 (Botes, Terblanche tries, Pienaar 2 cons, Steyn pen)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "Standout performance by Drew Mitchell" What has this bloke been smoking?

I didn't see the whole game, but from what I saw, Mitchell was poor - and every other media report of this game agrees that he was awful.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    yeah...for me Bambam was the outstanding player.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    "Standout performance by Drew Mitchell" What has this bloke been smoking?

I didn't see the whole game, but from what I saw, Mitchell was poor - and every other media report of this game agrees that he was awful.
    He probably is South African and means Cummins, they commentators had the same problem, not able to ever get the name correct of the Force player...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    yeah...for me Bambam was the outstanding player.....
    Beg to disagree TG.

I'm a bit shit-faced after working 'till 5am and talking most of the AFL-loving shift into watching a 5:30am replay over a couple of slabs, BUT Nick Cummins was man-of the -match.
    PS ...............I think I should go get some sleep so I can watch the Poofy Powder Blues whip Wellington. You must have been pretty pleased with The Reds Gerry.

vCash
    The force didnt have a good game this morning. A lot of dropped balls by everyone and really bad hands. But apparently, because of the close proximity of the stadium to the sea, the air there is humid and the sleet makes the ball slippery like a bar of soap.

Drew Mitchell had a bad game, but compared to last year, he'd probably come back next week to have a good game. Cameron Shepherd wasn't his usual self, but still had a reasonable game. And you'd think henjak would want to play the best game he ever played cos his career depended on it.

I though the forwards had a good start during the scrums, but line-outs were in need of much improvement. David Pocock was in outstanding form, forcing so many turnovers. And making so many linebreaks. He definitely is a star of the future, might even see him in a wallaby jumper this year if Robbie isnt bias like Connolly. Scott Staniforth showed his class throughout the game and i thought he brought stability into the backline and straightened things up when it started to go pear shape. And last but not least, Nick Cummins had an awesome debut. I was really impressed with his running and his step was seriously fantastic. i think at one point, he stepped Pieterson and left pieterson on his arse and with a strained hamstring. Good sight to see.

Let's hope the boys turn it around next week and get us a win for the next 2 SA games.

And how about Steyn's massive penalty! He went up in my books, but his attempts at drop kicking again and again was an anti-climax.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    He probably is South African and means Cummins, they commentators had the same problem, not able to ever get the name correct of the Force player...

Ah yes - that might explain it. Cummins was good.

vCash
    the force boys played soo well this morning!
    i think they have improved heaps since last year!
    i think cummins played extremely well, he has good footwork and can run!
    and what was wrong with drew!
    bambam also played well but on a whole the boys are looking great and they are now big compitition!

vCash
    I thought Drew looked especially rattled last night and just couldn't seem to get into any sort of rhythm. Got caught a few times in the Sharks 22 and just had no where to go following some pretty decent defence. Couple of dropped balls too if I remember correctly but that was a problem for almost every Force player. Drew did have a pretty good first ten mins with some fancy sidestepping footwork but just couldn't seem to maintain the momentum which was pretty disappointing for him.

Fava was outstanding, as was Cummings, Crossy and Pocock and was awesome to see Holmes cross the line and just to get some game time in general. Thought they may have brought the subs on a little early but they seemed to have a bit of an impact.

Overall I think we have some work to do with our lineouts but I'm confident that when Sharpie is fit and ready they'll sort themselves out and it was heartbreaking to watch the Sharks push us back during that rolling maul and eventually score from it. Very demoralising for our forwards but at least the scrums weren't looking too bad. Still a long way to go but they're getting there.

Was disappointing to not get that first, ego boosting win but I think we showed a fair bit of promise last night. Beeting the Sharks at Durban was never going to be easy and I think we showed a whole heap of guts to make it as close an encounter as it was. We were given no chance, but we persisted and with 10 mins to go were in a position where we could take the match. Just need to make the most of all the possession we had and decrease the number of handling errors when it counts. We had a lot of chances but just couldn't seem to turn them into points on the board.

I'm going to put it down to nerves and anticipation and I expect big things next week against the Cheetahs! Lets make it 2 from 3 in South Africa!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Too many lost lineouts, handling errors & mucking around in our own 22 when trying to clear the ball (Drew & Sheps at fault there) but scrapped well & were unlucky to concede the final penalty that made it a 7-point margin (Fava wasn't on the floor when he played the loose ball).

Great to see Cummins leave Pietersen grasping at thin air on more than one occasion. Pocock was immense covering the whole pitch & making some great hits along with his linebreaks. Stanners straightened up the line with some direct running.

We missed Sharpie's leadership around the park. Hockings had a solid game for a first-gamer but did look a little out of his depth & being reactive rather than proactive.

Bring on next week.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post

I'm going to put it down to nerves and anticipation and I expect big things next week against the Cheetahs! Lets make it 2 from 3 in South Africa!

OMC has obviously endowed his Darling girl with a great understanding of the game they play in Heaven.

vCash
    I'm like the son he actually has but wanted a different one who liked sport and would sit down and watch a game of rugby with him at 2am.

wait... you weren't being sarcastic were you shasta?

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    True Bread, but to mix up Puse and Tommy.....with that face? And then to call Tom 'Hoskins' and Mat Hodgeson 'Hogkinson' They're just not reading the team sheet (oh was puse and tom playing in opposite jerseys maybe that's part of an excuse)

C'mon the

vCash
    I recall one occassion when the commentator announced cummings had caught the ball when it was in fact drew.

Just a bit of a player mix up I think. Silly saffas.

Cumo had a blinder, Drew was less than brilliant but he'll bounce back for sure!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    The Sharks were strong throughout and controlled most of the possession, and once again look definite finals contenders. Only their own high error rate kept them from winning by a bigger score.

There was a lot of kicking in the game and it seems that the new rules don't promote running so much as eliminating productive kicking, leaving long passages of Aussie rules from one end of the ground to the other.

With the Sharks controlling possession, the Force were living off scraps and had limited scoring opportunities but they kept moving the ball from side to side to hustle the big Sharks pack about, and the Sharks further hampered their cause with a string of unnecessary penalties.

Forced (so to speak) into playing increasingly loose and open, the visitors were still in everything in the second half and when Holmes scored were in with a definite chance at 14-10, and looking to capitalise on a slowing Sharks outfit.

The Force were unlucky not to score from a big break by Scott Fava, and I'm sure I saw Shepherd being taken out off the ball, where his support could have made all the difference.

The Sharks were very lucky to hang on when Force flanker Matt Hodgson powered through for a touch down following an untidy stolen lineout near the line, but ref Deaker came to their rescue, calling the movement back for a crooked throw.

Much more needed from the Force forwards in the weeks ahead, while the Sharks will be focusing on lowering an unacceptably high error count. Both teams should prosper this season.

Good games from Giteau, Staniforth, Mitchell, Cummings and Shepherd. The forwards were quiet but the loose forwards worked hard despite being outgunned.

Last edited by rick boyd; 16-02-08 at 12:20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast